Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Beach Boys are using an Amtrak Train and Station as a backdrop

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 railpost

railpost

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:59 AM

Yes you heard right. Mike Loves Beach Boys ( one the two remnant bands of the Old Beach Boys) has a photo on their website taken a train station (presumably in California) with an Amtrak Superliner and a California Surfliner equipped train in the background.

Here is a link to  that page.

https://www.thebeach...m/tour?artist=6

Does anyone know what  station that the  photo was taken at?

#2 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:13 AM

Bob Hope/Burbank Airport (BUR)

The Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight use this station as well as Metrolink.

Edited by FrensicPic, 09 August 2017 - 06:46 AM.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#3 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Bob Hope/Burbank Airport (BUR)

The Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight use this station as well as Metrolink.

Aka Bob Hope Airport Train Station?

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#4 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

It's too bad the tickets are kind of expensive. The Beach Boys were my first concert (1990), and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#5 railpost

railpost

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

It's too bad the tickets are kind of expensive. The Beach Boys were my first concert (1990), and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

They will be playing at the New York State Fair for free in Syracuse New York on  Friday August 25th at 7pm.

#6 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

They will be playing at the New York State Fair for free in Syracuse New York on  Friday August 25th at 7pm.

Thanks, but that's an 8-9 hour drive from my location. :)

Edited by SarahZ, 09 August 2017 - 06:39 PM.

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#7 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Lake shore limited?

#8 railpost

railpost

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yes the Lake Shore Limited will take you to Syracuse. The railroad goes past the state fair however the trains stops several miles east of there so have to go back west to the State Fair Grounds.

#9 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

If I won't pay $60 for a ticket to the local concert, what makes you think I would pay for a round-trip ticket on the LSL? :-P

#10 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:03 AM

If I won't pay $60 for a ticket to the local concert, what makes you think I would pay for a round-trip ticket on the LSL? :-P

For one, you would get a concert and a train trip out of the deal! :)

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 10 August 2017 - 12:03 AM.

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#11 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:05 AM

And "Good Vibrations"

Edited by anumberone, 10 August 2017 - 01:06 AM.

#12 railpost

railpost

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

How many of you have ever listened to the Beach Boys famous Pet Sounds Album?

If you have ever listened to it then you would know that the very last cut on the Album features a recording of a railroad crossing bell with a fast train approaching and blowing it's Airhorn and you can hear the speeding diesel train go by.

I was wondering how many of you were actually aware of that?

I

#13 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

If you have ever listened to it then you would know that the very last cut on the Album...

On the original album. The various repackagings and reissues over the past few decades have included bonus tracks after the train sound effects. (Most notably "Hang On to Your Ego," the original version of "I Know There's an Answer.")

Yes, I was actually aware of that. :D

#14 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

And try fried Oreos and get slung through the air on a defective ride and get to smell the cows and raise your blood sugar and cholesterol out of this world.

Edited by me_little_me, 10 August 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#15 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

You're missing the point. ;)

#16 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:22 AM

@FrensicPic: Very impressive that you recognized the station.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades.

Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax, NS-Montréal, QC), Corridor Montréal-Toronto, The Canadian (Toronto, ON-Vancouver, BC).

Amtrak: approx. 25,000 miles and 47 states.

VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#17 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

You're missing the point. ;)
My point, same ol worn out stuff from 25 years before you heard it in 1990

Edited by anumberone, 12 August 2017 - 02:07 AM.

#18 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

@FrensicPic: Very impressive that you recognized the station.

Although I don't use that station, my Metrolink commuter train takes me through there twice a day!

The curved canopy was the give-away! The view (from the photographer) is looking east.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#19 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

My point, same ol worn out stuff from 25 years before you heard it in 1990

I'm sorry you don't appreciate good music. ;)

#20 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

And try fried Oreos and get slung through the air on a defective ride and get to smell the cows and raise your blood sugar and cholesterol out of this world.

A long train ride (that will likely go longer than scheduled), 60's beach music, true thrill rides and junk food that is barely one step beneath what you'll eat on the train. Who could ask for anything more?

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users