Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NARP's 50th Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

After reading every post in this thread; except for the mention of the diners returning to the Eastern trains, I still have absolutely no idea what was achieved and accomplished at the NARP 50th anniversary conference. So far it all sounds like gibberish.  If the purpose was to disseminate info, what were the benefits derived and how is this of use to the rail passenger community?

This!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#62 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

After reading every post in this thread; except for the mention of the diners returning to the Eastern trains, I still have absolutely no idea what was achieved and accomplished at the NARP 50th anniversary conference. So far it all sounds like gibberish. If the purpose was to disseminate info, what were the benefits derived and how is this of use to the rail passenger community?

This!

Where I come from grassroots organizations rarely host extravagant shindigs under adversarial administrations or during defensive lean year organizing.  Then again I'm not a paid lobbyist or a member of the gala attending donor class, so maybe that's why it makes little sense to me.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 09 November 2017 - 12:40 AM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#63 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

The official dissemination will happen in this week’s RPA Hotline I presume.

There is a bit about Anderson’s speech in last week’s Hotline which can be found at:

https://www.narprail...ct-1.8-million/

Frankly I will not be able to find time to write up a full report of my own to post here till after Thanksgiving given what is currently on my plate. But I will be happy to post pointers to any other reports I chance across.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by jis, 09 November 2017 - 12:01 AM.

#64 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

OK, so here's MY report.

-- Anderson's speech / interview showed that he seemed to understand most (if not quite all) of the issues facing Amtrak -- and he specified that he wasn't letting Wick Moorman leave any time soon! They have a double-sided business card.

-- Anderson took the Capitol Limited to the meeting. He specifically stated that the equipment going out on the road broken has to end (referring to specific defects in his sleeper). He commented that the overnight sleeper on the Capitol Limited would be a great way to attend business meetings in Chicago... if the freights were not delaying it. Asked about on-time performance he basically indicated that his impulse was to fight the freights because they're breaking the law.

-- Amtrak is actively, and quite successfully, eliminating initial terminal delays so that the freight railroads have no excuses for their delays. I heard some extensive details about what's been done to do this in the dispatching tour, but I'm not sure whether any of that is "confidential".

-- The dispatchers in Chicago would really love to get rid of 21st St. Lift Bridge -- or amend the Coast Guard law which says it must open on demand for any pleasure craft.

-- I inquired at the OTP panel (which was mostly lawyers) whether Amtrak could sue on its own behalf directly under the 1973 "preference at junctions" law over specific instances of preference violation. They didn't know. I think they will be looking that up. :-)

-- I managed to make a direct complaint to the individuals in management directly responsible for providing (or not) ingredients lists in the dining car.

-- There is active chatter about improving Rail Passengers Association internal structure. The "seats per state" system is leaving permanently vacant seats from low population states while having low representation from high-population states, and this is recognized as a problem.

Edited by neroden, 09 November 2017 - 09:02 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#65 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

OK, so here's MY report.

-- Anderson's speech / interview showed that he seemed to understand most (if not quite all) of the issues facing Amtrak -- and he specified that he wasn't letting Wick Moorman leave any time soon! They have a double-sided business card.

-- Anderson took the Capitol Limited to the meeting. He specifically stated that the equipment going out on the road broken has to end (referring to specific defects in his sleeper). He commented that the overnight sleeper on the Capitol Limited would be a great way to attend business meetings in Chicago... if the freights were not delaying it. Asked about on-time performance he basically indicated that his impulse was to fight the freights because they're breaking the law.

-- Amtrak is actively, and quite successfully, eliminating initial terminal delays so that the freight railroads have no excuses for their delays. I heard some extensive details about what's been done to do this in the dispatching tour, but I'm not sure whether any of that is "confidential".

-- The dispatchers in Chicago would really love to get rid of 21st St. Lift Bridge -- or amend the Coast Guard law which says it must open on demand for any pleasure craft.

-- I inquired at the OTP panel (which was mostly lawyers) whether Amtrak could sue on its own behalf directly under the 1973 "preference at junctions" law over specific instances of preference violation. They didn't know. I think they will be looking that up. :-)

-- I managed to make a direct complaint to the individuals in management directly responsible for providing (or not) ingredients lists in the dining car.

-- There is active chatter about improving Rail Passengers Association internal structure. The "seats per state" system is leaving permanently vacant seats from low population states while having low representation from high-population states, and this is recognized as a problem.

Good start. At least you got something for your money!  The interesting thing about Amtrak 2017, is that for the first time we have two people with business experience at the helm instead of a Washington political hack.. Maybe some good things will really get done. I can relate to the comment about the lack of maintenance. .

#66 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

Am Amtrak CEO who rode the actual product (in this case a revenue sleeper)? I'm impressed. Great way to get a grasp of some of the problems facing Amtrak.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#67 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

This happened to be his first ride on an Amtrak LD train. he said he plans to do some more riding.

His customer focus was quite apparent in his presentation.

He did talk a lot about his concerns regarding the Superliner fleet, but did not disclose any specific plans on any plans. He did say that Amtrak will do a comprehensive fleet planning exercise and then proceed from there. In a private conversation he acknowledged that at the present time, if the money can be found, it will be easier to get single level cars delivered quite rapidly. Getting any multi-level cars will take more time.

#68 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

This happened to be his first ride on an Amtrak LD train. he said he plans to do some more riding.

His customer focus was quite apparent in his presentation.

He did talk a lot about his concerns regarding the Superliner fleet, but did not disclose any specific plans on any plans. He did say that Amtrak will do a comprehensive fleet planning exercise and then proceed from there. In a private conversation he acknowledged that at the present time, if the money can be found, it will be easier to get single level cars delivered quite rapidly. Getting any multi-level cars will take more time.

Sounds like he might be leaning towards replacing the single level fleet, and possibly heavily refurbishing the Superliners, since that's what funding would support. Does anyone manufacture bi level sleepers anymore? New Superliner Sleepers might have to be a custom product ($$).

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by bretton88, 09 November 2017 - 01:18 PM.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#69 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

There are manufacturers of European and Russian track and loading gauge bi-levels including Sleepers. Nothing at present specific to US loading gauges or other FRA standards AFAIK. US Superliner style bi-levels have always been special manufacturing runs for single order. This was true of Superliners too, both I and II, as well as two different tranches of California bi-levels.

There are other bi or multi levels for the US market that have had multiple entities order the same design thus defraying cost of development among multiple customers a little bit better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users