Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NARP's 50th Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,160 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

Did NARP just win some big infrastructure improvements or HSR funding?  Because this is the sort of lofty exuberance I'd expect to see at the height of a professional organization's activity and influence.  It's not what I'd expect to see from a relatively small and scattered organization of volunteers with modest means and limited influence focused on niche goals that are still struggling to find meaningful traction in today's political landscape.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 15 August 2017 - 02:55 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#22 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

Attached File  8060aec390c24028ae058b0d6fe3cb3a.jpg   170.39KB   32 downloads

Join us in Chicago to celebrate 50 years of passenger rail advocacy! Details are being updated frequently at the NARP website. https://www.narprail...nation-chicago/

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#23 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Travel, rail travel, libraries, current events

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the nudge to check out the schedule update, CH! Nice to finally see some substance to the schedule...

#24 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

Not really helpful.

Just a list of people they asked to stop by.

"CONFIRMED & INVITED SPEAKERS/PRESENTERS"

Let see some names of people who are going to be there. Very pricey event.

#25 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Travel, rail travel, libraries, current events

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

I would think that the named persons are the "confirmed" presenters and the "invited" ones are the generic representatives from Brightline, Texas Central, FRA, etc. I would be surprised if that was not the case, as when planning events the rule is not to overpromise and underdeliver, but rather the opposite if at all possible.

#26 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

After careful consideration I have arrived at the conclusion that I don't see adequate ROI commensurate with the expense. So I am bailing. Hotel reservation is being canceled and transport ticket is going into voucher for future use for something more productive.

#27 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:50 PM

After careful consideration I have arrived at the conclusion that I don't see adequate ROI commensurate with the expense. So I am bailing. Hotel reservation is being canceled and transport ticket is going into voucher for future use for something more productive.

If you're cancelling, then the ROI must be really bad

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#28 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,160 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:44 PM

In addition to a low ROI this event also seems to have some rather questionable optics.  What exactly are we celebrating?  Decades of reductions in service and aging hardware?  Budget battles that are as tedious and contentious as they've ever been?  The simple passage of time?  Why don't we save the really big celebrations for really big wins rather than focusing on some arbitrary window of time?

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#29 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

Each individual has their own factors to determine their ROI. For me it just isn't there. That does not necessarily mean that is the case for everyone.

#30 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

Each individual has their own factors to determine their ROI. For me it just isn't there. That does not necessarily mean that is the case for everyone.
Right, it was not meant as a criticism. More pointing out that if one of our more knowledgeable and involved AU members has decided the event is not worth it, then it's a huge red flag that the event is definitely not worth it for the more casual members here.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#31 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

I'm still a bit confused as to why it's significantly cheaper for a government employee to attend this than it is for a NARP member to attend. If it's supposed to be a NARP celebration/conference, why not make the most attractive offers to NARP members - the people who support the organization month to month (or year to year?) While there's certainly people in government that are trying to advance the same items NARP is trying to advance, it's not as universal as those who are NARP members and have already given money to the organization.

#32 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,172 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

I agree Jeb.

But as a Retired Govt. Employee who attended many events on Uncle Sam's Dime,almost all such Programs,including Travel, offer Special Governnment Rates.

Government per diem isn't much, you certainly don't live the Life of Riley on the Road as a Civil Servant. ( Officials are another Story!)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 07 September 2017 - 11:34 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#33 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,160 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

I'm still a bit confused as to why it's significantly cheaper for a government employee to attend this than it is for a NARP member to attend. If it's supposed to be a NARP celebration/conference, why not make the most attractive offers to NARP members - the people who support the organization month to month (or year to year?) While there's certainly people in government that are trying to advance the same items NARP is trying to advance, it's not as universal as those who are NARP members and have already given money to the organization.

Not only is it more expensive for you, the fact that you're paying your own way is being advertised to the people who actually matter (corporate sponsors)...

Who Will Be Attending Rail Nation?

Officials from state & regional Departments of Transportation

Senior staff from Amtrak, commuter rail operators & transit agencies

Leading transportation researchers & educators

International high speed rail experts

Federal, state & local elected representatives

Highly engaged passengers

International stakeholders and domestic stakeholders from all 50 states

Those actively involved in state and regional advocacy organizations that help shape local
transportation priorities

All ages - from motivated college students to avid travelers representing the senior
population

Knowledgeable public transportation system users who take frequent intercity & regional
rail trips

Attendees with diverse professional backgrounds - many with advanced educational
degrees

Experienced international travelers with higher disposable incomes

Volunteer citizens advocates who will be paying their own way to participate

Why Participate in Rail Nation?

Be an active part of the citizen advocacy movement advancing high speed
rail in the United States.

Directly connect with & inform rail advocates who have a proven record
of positively shaping federal & state transportation policy and funding
priorities.

Showcase your organizations products and services to a highly
knowledgeable group of end-consumers - the rail passengers.

Take advantage of this unique opportunity to directly market rail travel
services, publications and products
to frequent rail users.

Paying serious money to put myself in a position where I'm the one being lobbied makes little sense to me.

#34 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

NARP is throwing a big party for its 50th anniversary, in Chicago early in November (Nov 2 - 5)

See https://www.narprail...nation-chicago/

I was looking forward to it, until I started calculating the cost that is. Turns out that I can pretty much do a round trip to India in Coach for the cost of the Hotel, Registration, Gala Dinner etc. etc. all put together, even before I add in the cost of transport to get there and back. Which is now giving me a bit of a pause. What are the rest of y'all involved with NARP planning to do?

I might still make it there, staying at a cheaper hotel or some such. We'll See. But wow! It was a bit of a shock!

Well, I'm going, but my stocks have been doing *very well* this year (well enough to pay for an extension on my house), so it's not feeling expensive to me this year.

(Flying to India isn't an option for me since we don't fly, and this is still a lot cheaper than a round trip on the Queen Mary 2.  And I have to stay in fancy hotels anyway in order to get cotton sheets, and go to everything-made-from-scratch restaurants to get food without guar gum.  So it's ending up comparable to the price of a typical trip to Chicago for me.  Unfortunately, that's my life with allergies.  In addition, I have plenty of other reasons to visit Chicago.)

Also, if they're going to try to lobby *me*... well, I've got some very definite opinions about the publication of ingredients lists which I would love to share with Amtrak's management before I have to hire a lawyer to sue Amtrak.  Which I may do in 2018 (I'm quite busy this year).

From what I know of gala dinners at conventions, they're always really expensive and intended to some extent as a fundraiser.  Always.  There's a reason they're broken out separately.  So honestly, unless you're feeling flush this year, skip that.

Regarding the convention price... maybe someone should ask Jim Matthews why they don't have different prices depending on how early people registered.  It's a good question.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#35 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

Yup my portfolio performance will be able to fund this, a trip to India, a trip to the UK and then some. The issue was finding enough vacation days or taking days off without pay. Turns out that through a turn of fate two days that were unavailable for this has become available, so chances are looking better. But I will hold off on registering till later since there is no point in unnecessarily tying up money for months for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#36 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,507 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

Richard Anderson now confirmed for 2 November...

https://narp.z2syste...reIdCustomer=1
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#37 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

Richard Anderson now confirmed for 2 November...

Which sadly show the list of people that we have seen were invited and not confirmed.

😒

#38 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Opps...We got a little ahead of oursleves in our previous message!

Amtrak CEO Richard Anderson's participation in RailNation Chicago is still being finalized.

We are sorry for any confusion! 

NARP Staff

#39 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

It just gets better....

#40 NorthShore

NorthShore