Which trains going east of Chicago have sightseer lounges?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junebug

Lead Service Attendant
I'm planning a trip purely for the scenery. From what I gather, Viewliners, which I have never been on, don't have the greatest 'view' except in the sleeper cars.

Ahh thanks, Philly. Does the Cardinal always use Viewliner equipment?

I mean does the Cardinal ever have a Sightseer Lounge? I read somewhere that sometimes it does??

I mean does the Cardinal ever have a Sightseer Lounge? I read somewhere that sometimes it does??
Not since the Cardinal was converted back to single level equipment....they do during the fall season occasionally run a couple of trips with the 'Ocean View' full dome lounge, but not sure of when for sure...

When the Cardinal only ran between CHI and WAS, it was a Superliner and had an SSL. Since they extended it to NYP (which can't have Superliners due to their height), it's now a single level train.
:angry2: :wacko: Oops, I think you told me that already. Senior moment! :wacko: :blink: :eek: :mellow: :)

Yes, the AutoTrain does run with a couple of SSL's. But most of the trip runs overnight and except for summer months there is little scenery except at both ends of the trip.. Virginia and northern Fla. I would recommend the Cap Ltd 30 with some nice scenery leaving PGH eastbound all the way to WAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
This helps, thanks! What about the Capitol Limited westbound? Are there any scenic parts during daylight hours? It looks like the last daylight stop if it's on time is Cumberland, MD?

This helps, thanks! What about the Capitol Limited westbound? Are there any scenic parts during daylight hours? It looks like the last daylight stop if it's on time is Cumberland, MD?
Sadly, that is right about the Capitol Limited going west. The last daytime westbound stop is Cumberland, and you will hit darkness not long after that. If you look at the CL timetable, you'll see it's better to ride that going east vs. west, since you'll have MORE time for the daylight part. Including sunrise by Pittsburgh, or not long after that. Pittsburgh and Cumberland btw are extended stops for the CL, where you're allowed to smoke or stretch your legs briefly.
If you're going west from DC, consider riding the Cardinal. Sadly (boo its schedule!) it only runs 3 days a week going westbound from NYC to DC (Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays), but on that train at this time of year(IF on time), you're in daylight till Charleston, WV. However Cardinal is a similar train to Capitol Limited, since you see more of the scenic parts in daylight going east. Note from Chicago btw, that it departs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. You'll start to see the scenic part, the next morning around eastern KY or western WV (Huntington), depending on whenever you wake up. And you may be woken up going eastbound, (as it's just after 7am), as Huntington will more than likely be the first announced stop on the PA going east. Since Amtrak only doesn't do PA upcoming station announcements from 10pm-7am.

I believe there are 3 or 4 Auto Train sets, one of which has a SSL. The others run with a converted diner as a lounge.
I guess one can believe whatever one likes, but the reality is that there are two Auto Train sets and a few spare cars in the pool. Sometimes there is an SSL or two in the pool, and most times not.

I believe there are 3 or 4 Auto Train sets, one of which has a SSL. The others run with a converted diner as a lounge.
There are only five Auto Train lounge cars for the two equipment sets (two lounges per train), and with four of them in service on any given day a Sightseer Lounge will sometimes be used to supplement the dedicated Auto train equipment.

Speaking of Sightseer Lounges and Superliner's I have question. Can Boston South Station Accommodate a Superliner or a Sightseer Lounge as it is not in a tunnel (like in New York CIty)?

If Boston could accommodate Superliners then it would be a good idea to consider running a separate train from Chicago to Boston with Superliners.

Up until the fall of 1967 the Old New York Central Railroad had run a Chicago Boston Train called the "New England States". If the route to Boston could accommodate Superliners than it would make sense to run a Superliner Train all the way through to Boston.

Speaking of Sightseer Lounges and Superliner's I have question. Can Boston South Station Accommodate a Superliner or a Sightseer Lounge as it is not in a tunnel (like in New York CIty)?
shaking%20head.gif

Assuming that the platforms in Albany,Syracuse,Schenectady, Rochester and yes even Boston were low level would it be possible to run a Superliner equipped train all the way though to Boston? In other words are the platforms the only major physical impediment. Are there any physical clearance problems on the Albany to Boston portion or in the Boston area? I know that years ago (the 1970s) there might have been some height clearance problems along the route however I understand that the railroads had by and large cleared them up just to make room for the taller automobile and vehicle transport cars,so that they had an additional financial motivation beyond that of being able to handle "dome" cars and Superliners.

I remember that the most notorious rallroad when it came to not allowing dome cars on it's property was the "Bad" Old Southern Pacific which would only allow it's own home built domes and some ex Chessie 3/4's size domes on its routes. By the time the Superliners came around in the late 70's and early 80's that was no longer a problem however. There may have been a similar problem on the Old Boston and Albany branch of the New York Central but if that was ever a problem it was virtually non existent as domes weren't run on the New York Central to begin with.

There is a shortage of Superliner's.

Secondly, Superliner's are incompatible with high level station platforms...

Sadly, that is right about the Capitol Limited going west. The last daytime westbound stop is Cumberland, and you will hit darkness not long after that. If you look at the CL timetable, you'll see it's better to ride that going east vs. west, since you'll have MORE time for the daylight part. Including sunrise by Pittsburgh, or not long after that. Pittsburgh and Cumberland btw are extended stops for the CL, where you're allowed to smoke or stretch your legs briefly.
If you're going west from DC, consider riding the Cardinal. Sadly (boo its schedule!) it only runs 3 days a week going westbound from NYC to DC (Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays), but on that train at this time of year(IF on time), you're in daylight till Charleston, WV. However Cardinal is a similar train to Capitol Limited, since you see more of the scenic parts in daylight going east. Note from Chicago btw, that it departs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. You'll start to see the scenic part, the next morning around eastern KY or western WV (Huntington), depending on whenever you wake up. And you may be woken up going eastbound, (as it's just after 7am), as Huntington will more than likely be the first announced stop on the PA going east. Since Amtrak only doesn't do PA upcoming station announcements from 10pm-7am.
Thanks, that helps a lot. And bummer, I was looking forward to hanging out in the dome car. It sounds like The Cardinal is the one I'll have to choose.

Back