Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Which trains going east of Chicago have sightseer lounges?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

Albany and Syracuse are high platform, Schenectady and Rochester will be soon.

#22 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Speaking of Sightseer Lounges and Superliner's I have question. Can Boston South Station Accommodate a Superliner or a Sightseer Lounge as it is not in a tunnel (like in New York CIty)?

shaking%20head.gif

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#23 railpost

railpost

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

Assuming that the platforms in Albany,Syracuse,Schenectady, Rochester and yes even Boston were low level would it be possible to run a Superliner equipped train all the way though to Boston? In other words are the platforms the only major physical impediment. Are there any physical clearance problems on the Albany to Boston portion or in the Boston area? I know that years ago (the 1970s) there might have been some height clearance problems along the route however I understand that the railroads had by and large cleared them up just to make room for the taller automobile and vehicle transport cars,so that they had an additional financial motivation beyond that of being able to handle "dome" cars and Superliners.

I remember that the most notorious rallroad when it came to not allowing dome cars on it's property was the "Bad" Old Southern Pacific which would only allow it's own home built domes and some ex Chessie 3/4's size  domes on its routes. By the time the Superliners came around in the late 70's and early 80's that was no longer a problem however. There may have been a similar problem on the Old Boston and Albany branch of the New York Central but if that was ever a problem it was virtually non existent as domes weren't run on the New York Central to begin with. 

#24 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

There is a shortage of Superliner's.
Secondly, Superliner's are incompatible with high level station platforms...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#25 junebug

junebug

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

This helps, thanks! What about the Capitol Limited westbound? Are there any scenic parts during daylight hours? It looks like the last daylight stop if it's on time is Cumberland, MD?

Sadly, that is right about the Capitol Limited going west. The last daytime westbound stop is Cumberland, and you will hit darkness not long after that. If you look at the CL timetable, you'll see it's better to ride that going east vs. west, since you'll have MORE time for the daylight part. Including sunrise by Pittsburgh, or not long after that. Pittsburgh and Cumberland btw are extended stops for the CL, where you're allowed to smoke or stretch your legs briefly.

If you're going west from DC, consider riding the Cardinal. Sadly (boo its schedule!) it only runs 3 days a week going westbound from NYC to DC (Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays), but on that train at this time of year(IF on time), you're in daylight till Charleston, WV. However Cardinal is a similar train to Capitol Limited, since you see more of the scenic parts in daylight going east. Note from Chicago btw, that it departs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. You'll start to see the scenic part, the next morning around eastern KY or western WV (Huntington), depending on whenever you wake up. And you may be woken up going eastbound, (as it's just after 7am), as Huntington will more than likely be the first announced stop on the PA going east. Since Amtrak only doesn't do PA upcoming station announcements from 10pm-7am.

Thanks, that helps a lot. And bummer, I was looking forward to hanging out in the dome car. It sounds like The Cardinal is the one I'll have to choose.

#26 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

Assuming that the platforms in Albany,Syracuse,Schenectady, Rochester and yes even Boston were low level would it be possible to run a Superliner equipped train all the way though to Boston? In other words are the platforms the only major physical impediment. Are there any physical clearance problems on the Albany to Boston portion or in the Boston area? I know that years ago (the 1970s) there might have been some height clearance problems along the route however I understand that the railroads had by and large cleared them up just to make room for the taller automobile and vehicle transport cars,so that they had an additional financial motivation beyond that of being able to handle "dome" cars and Superliners.
I remember that the most notorious rallroad when it came to not allowing dome cars on it's property was the "Bad" Old Southern Pacific which would only allow it's own home built domes and some ex Chessie 3/4's size  domes on its routes. By the time the Superliners came around in the late 70's and early 80's that was no longer a problem however. There may have been a similar problem on the Old Boston and Albany branch of the New York Central but if that was ever a problem it was virtually non existent as domes weren't run on the New York Central to begin with. 

I am not certain, but Amtrak may have at some time in the past displayed some Superliner's at Boston, perhaps for one of those "Family Day's" open houses...

Does anyone recall?
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#27 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,089 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

Speaking of Sightseer Lounges and Superliner's I have question. Can Boston South Station Accommodate a Superliner or a Sightseer Lounge as it is not in a tunnel (like in New York CIty)? 

If Boston could accommodate Superliners then it would be a good idea to consider running a separate train from Chicago to Boston with Superliners.

Up until the fall of 1967 the Old New York Central Railroad had run a Chicago Boston Train called the "New England States". If the route to Boston could accommodate Superliners than it would make sense to run a Superliner Train all the way through to Boston.

No. South Station is all High Level platforms. Superliners aren't meant for high levels. Only low. ;)
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#28 railpost

railpost

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

If Boston could accommodate Superliners then it would be a good idea to consider running a separate train from Chicago to Boston with Superliners.

Up until the fall of 1967 the Old New York Central Railroad had run a Chicago Boston Train called the "New England States". If the route to Boston could accommodate Superliners than it would make sense to run a Superliner Train all the way through to Boston.

No. South Station is all High Level platforms. Superliners aren't meant for high levels. Only low. ;)

All they would have to do is have one low level platform and the problem would be solved. I know that in a bureacracy it is not probable but is possible.

#29 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

This helps, thanks! What about the Capitol Limited westbound? Are there any scenic parts during daylight hours? It looks like the last daylight stop if it's on time is Cumberland, MD?

Sadly, that is right about the Capitol Limited going west. The last daytime westbound stop is Cumberland, and you will hit darkness not long after that. If you look at the CL timetable, you'll see it's better to ride that going east vs. west, since you'll have MORE time for the daylight part. Including sunrise by Pittsburgh, or not long after that. Pittsburgh and Cumberland btw are extended stops for the CL, where you're allowed to smoke or stretch your legs briefly.

If you're going west from DC, consider riding the Cardinal. Sadly (boo its schedule!) it only runs 3 days a week going westbound from NYC to DC (Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays), but on that train at this time of year(IF on time), you're in daylight till Charleston, WV. However Cardinal is a similar train to Capitol Limited, since you see more of the scenic parts in daylight going east. Note from Chicago btw, that it departs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. You'll start to see the scenic part, the next morning around eastern KY or western WV (Huntington), depending on whenever you wake up. And you may be woken up going eastbound, (as it's just after 7am), as Huntington will more than likely be the first announced stop on the PA going east. Since Amtrak only doesn't do PA upcoming station announcements from 10pm-7am.
Thanks, that helps a lot. And bummer, I was looking forward to hanging out in the dome car. It sounds like The Cardinal is the one I'll have to choose.
The Cardinal does not have a sightseer lounge. The only train east of Chicago that consistently does is the Capitol Limited.

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP, SS FTL-MIA

#30 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Better yet, use single-level equipment that can be boarded at high-level platforms. Problem solved.  :)

#31 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

All they would have to do is have one low level platform and the problem would be solved. I know that in a bureacracy it is not probable but is possible.

Bureaucracy is not the reason they're not going to spend millions to build a new track and new platform (because existing tracks are already using high-level platforms) to accommodate a single Superliner train when no other train within several hundred miles could possibly use it.

#32 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

Building a new platform to facilitate non level boarding on a route where level boarding to the whole car is already in place is not likely to happen. I am not 100% sure, but reasonably certain that would not be allowed under current ADA standards.

Edited by PVD, 09 August 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#33 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

The original Capitol Limited (and its coach counterpart, The Columbian) had dome cars from 1950 until Amtrak takeover with floodlights shining to the right side of the train after dark. Made for very interesting viewing, as well as seeing steel mills between McKeesport and Pittsburgh up close and personal after dark.

I have numerous fond memories of riding in "High Dome" and "Sky Dome" on the Columbian between Washington D.C. and Chicago in the 1950's and 60's.

#34 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,368 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:00 PM

Back in the mid 90's, Superliner were on display for the dedication of the recently moved and refurbished KIN station. I assume they came thru Boston. But this was also prior to the catenary was extended to Boston. That could also be a hindering factor, besides the high level platforms.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#35 junebug

junebug

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:32 PM

The original Capitol Limited (and its coach counterpart, The Columbian) had dome cars from 1950 until Amtrak takeover with floodlights shining to the right side of the train after dark. Made for very interesting viewing, as well as seeing steel mills between McKeesport and Pittsburgh up close and personal after dark.

I have numerous fond memories of riding in "High Dome" and "Sky Dome" on the Columbian between Washington D.C. and Chicago in the 1950's and 60's.

Must have been very different on the trains then. How was the food before the Amtrak takeover?

Edited by junebug, 12 August 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#36 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:12 AM

Must have been very different on the trains then. How was the food before the Amtrak takeover?

In short.....better. ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#37 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

Depends on the railroad and the train.  Dining on the Santa Fe Super Chief, superb right to the end, eating canned stew bought from a vending machine in an SP "automat" car on the Coast Daylight or the Sunset, not so much.

Can't speak to the eastern roads, but my understanding that the Pennsy/Penn Central was pretty dismal.  In the west Santa Fe, great, UP great, SP pretty awful outside the diners they maintained on the Cascade and the City of San Francisco.  They pulled the diner on the Sunset entirely, leaving the automat as the only food service between Los Angeles and New Orleans.  No sleepers either.  The food and amenities on ANY of today's Amtrak long distance trains are better than the SP's 1967-70 edition of the Sunset.

Edited by zephyr17, 14 August 2017 - 03:52 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#38 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

Assuming that the platforms in Albany,Syracuse,Schenectady, Rochester and yes even Boston were low level would it be possible to run a Superliner equipped train all the way though to Boston? In other words are the platforms the only major physical impediment. Are there any physical clearance problems on the Albany to Boston portion or in the Boston area?

The catenary is a major issue and it probably isn't easily raised due to bridges and other stuctures.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#39 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Assuming that the platforms in Albany,Syracuse,Schenectady, Rochester and yes even Boston were low level would it be possible to run a Superliner equipped train all the way though to Boston? In other words are the platforms the only major physical impediment. Are there any physical clearance problems on the Albany to Boston portion or in the Boston area? 

The catenary is a major issue and it probably isn't easily raised due to bridges and other stuctures.

Is it?  

Sounds like we need to bring in an expert to be absolutely sure...

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#40 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

Superliners are about 6-7 inches taller than the MBTA bi-levels. Also, safety practice in the past  dictates 6" per 10kv airgap. It ain't happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users