4 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

One train is reported to be 20 hours late.  One train is reported to be 11 hours late.

What's the reason?  Freight train traffic?

Being so far off schedule complicates one's plans upon arrival in Vancouver.

I'd love to travel on the Canadian.  But, such performance is discouraging in making a reservations with the associated plans for such a trip.

#2 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

CN is just awful in its handling of the Canadian. Such lateness is rather routine.

#3 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

Via has even less clout with CN than Amtrak does with its host railroads.  Amtrak's theoretical priority has a statutory basis and Amtrak has sued over it.  Via doesn't have that, and has pretty much zero leverage with CN.

Via itself acknowledges the situation and posts the following notice on the booking page for travel involving the Canadian:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: While VIA endeavours to operate on time, the realities of increased freight traffic on tracks that we do not own may give rise to significant delays. We suggest that you do not arrange connecting transportation on the day of your arrival

With that said, the Canadian is a ride not to be missed and recommend working  around the issue  by including an overnight hotel stay at your end point.  I'd also recommend traveling eastbound, not westbound, as with the extreme lateness the chances of missing the Rockies due to darkness westbound is quite high.  Eastbound the mountains are on the first full day of the journey and the train is in them most of the day.

Edited by zephyr17, 06 August 2017 - 12:16 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#4 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

Go.....knowing the train will be late so plan for onward connections on the following day. Book a hotel that will allow last minute changes.....or don't make a reservation if nervous you will lose your deposit. You might have to go to a suburban location.....but you can always get a room.

Take the trip and enjoy the extra time on the train and more bang for you buck! You will be well fed even if additional meals as required and you might even see the Thompson and Fraser Canyons in daylight if travelling westbound!

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 06 August 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#5 rusty spike

rusty spike

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Railroad history, Travel by train (or just about anything else)

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

Agree with previous posters. Just completed this trip 3 weeks ago.(#1 from Edmonton to Vancouver in Sleeper Plus). 3 hours late and loved every minute of it. A trip not to be missed!
My heart is warm with friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going.
--
Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users