Photo

Brightline Railcars Any Reason They Can't Be Used By Amtrak?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:55 PM

I thought Amtrak was only using stainless steel cars, from the beginning they eliminated a bunch of fine equipment because it wasn't stainless steel. I don't think the brightline cars are stainless steel so I doubt Amtrak would take them, though IDK what their policy on state supported services is.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any rules on stainless or not, as the turbo trains and talgos exemplify.
Those are state supported though, so I'm betting Amtrak doesn't care as much

Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#62 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,614 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

I have been told by one of the Brightline representatives that the Brightline Cars are Stainless Steel with the livery applied as decal wraps. But what would they know. ;)

We have also heard from Amtrak that they are taking a serious look at the Brightline cars and they have seen no problem with the material used for their construction. The same Amtrak gentleman from a relatively high position within Amtrak also said that if and when Amtrak finds the money to purchase new cars, it is quite likely that Siemens will be a contender among several others.

But remember, there are several very credible passenger car producers in the world, and as long as Amtrak and FRA stop being anal about their car specifications, probably most of them would bid. So who will be selected is almost impossible to guess. One would of course hope that a dud contract like the one with CAF or Nippon Sharyo is not repeated.

Edited by jis, 15 August 2017 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users