• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

Speaking of Bridgeport, Pancho Pistola's (on 31st) has good Mexican food and friendly service.

They might be a bit too far south for the average tourist's comfort level, but I always enjoyed eating there when visiting friends on the south side.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#62 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

Speaking of Bridgeport, Pancho Pistola's (on 31st) has good Mexican food and friendly service.

They might be a bit too far south for the average tourist's comfort level, but I always enjoyed eating there when visiting friends on the south side.

Then I guess I should also add a plug for Pleasant House Pub, which is run by a friend from college and her husband. They serve British pub food, most notably meat pies, which are delicious.

It's in the Pilsen neighborhood on Halsted, a block north of Cermak. It would actually be fairly quick and easy to get there via public transportation (or Uber/Lyft) from Union Station, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for people who are on an Amtrak layover and otherwise unfamiliar with Chicago.

#63 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

It would actually be fairly quick and easy to get there via public transportation (or Uber/Lyft) from Union Station, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for people who are on an Amtrak layover and otherwise unfamiliar with Chicago.

That's my issue every time one of these threads comes up. I can think of tons of wonderful restaurants in all sorts of interesting neighborhoods, but I know people who've never been to Chicago might be hesitant about wandering more than a few blocks from Union Station.  :mellow:

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#64 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

I have a simple solution, just get to Chicago the same days I do...It will be a) raining  b) snowing or c) so cold and windy you don't want to go out. I'll be going through again the first week in November, hoping for better luck this time, so much great stuff there to see and do as well as the food scene.....

#65 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

Now that you have all picked the perfect pizza, it's time for breakfast. (For me, it's always time for breakfast! :))

Any suggestions for good breakfast places on the other side of the river (North Loop, surrounding area) from Lou Mitchells that are similar--good breakfast, decent prices, and not trendy but not a hole in the wall, either? Or will I be crossing the river to Lou Mitchells every day for my poached eggs and hash browns? :P

#66 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

Now that you have all picked the perfect pizza, it's time for breakfast. (For me, it's always time for breakfast! :))

Any suggestions for good breakfast places on the other side of the river (North Loop, surrounding area) from Lou Mitchells that are similar--good breakfast, decent prices, and not trendy but not a hole in the wall, either? Or will I be crossing the river to Lou Mitchells every day for my poached eggs and hash browns? :P

Not too far out of your way - Wildberry Cafe, at the Prudential Building.

#67 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

Yolk! The servings are huge. They have a few locations in the Loop.

Eggy's is good too. They're near Randolph & Columbus (just east of Michigan).

#68 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

If you want a delicious cinnamon roll that's as big as your head, go to Ann Sather.

The Belmont location is the closest one to you. It's about half a block east of the Red/Brown/Purple Line stop at Belmont.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users