Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Chicago Layover

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,504 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

Deep Dish Pizza is way Overrated and Costs too Much! YMMV

You shut your blasphemous mouth.

;)

Chicago Dogs are disgusting. There. I said it.

Give me a good Polish any day.

Dude voluntarily lives in Texas, so we already know that his taste is suspect. :D

Any pizza executed well is amazing, be it Chicago, NY, or even the slightly odd "pizza" from St. Louis.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#42 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, I dig a good NY slice every so often.

I like that they're portable and perfect for eating while walking around, whereas Chicago-style is more of a sit-down meal.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#43 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Forget the deep dish pizza. It isn't worth your time or money. Get yourself over to Roosevelt Road and Michigan Avenue and have an Aurelio's thin crust. You'll be in heaven. After that have a hot dog and an Italian beef sandwich. Those are true tastes of Chicago. 

As a native Chicagoan, I might have deep dish/stuffed twice a year...maybe. Same goes for most folks I know. If this thread has devolved into a pizza thread, allow me to state that Aurelio's is very good thin crust. But if you really want the best, you have to head out to 84th and Pulaski and get a thin crust at Nick & Vito's (officially, it's Vito & Nick's, but the other way rolls off the tongue easier). Our family first started going here in the early 70's. It's located in a working class neighborhood; looks like nothing from the outside, looks like nothing on the inside, too. But the thin crust is the absolute best. Just be sure to take cash with you. That's all they'll accept.

As far as deep dish/stuffed is concerned, Nancy's has always done a nice one, but since they started franchising, it isn't quite as good, but still solid. The best deep dish in town is Pequod's, near DePaul University.

#44 CraigDK

CraigDK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Railroading, Engineering, Aviation, Philosophy, Theology

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

Deep Dish Pizza is way Overrated and Costs too Much! YMMV

You shut your blasphemous mouth.

;)

Chicago Dogs are disgusting. There. I said it.

Give me a good Polish any day.

Dude voluntarily lives in Texas, so we already know that his taste is suspect. :D

Any pizza executed well is amazing, be it Chicago, NY, or even the slightly odd "pizza" from St. Louis.

I've never had "pizza" from St Louis. Now my curiosity is aroused.

That said, I could go for some Detroit style pizza.

#45 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,167 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

"Detroit Style" Pizza??

Description please!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#46 BoulderCO

BoulderCO

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Deep Dish Pizza   aka    Cheese & Tomato Casserole

I'm a "thin crust" guy

#47 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,504 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

https://en.wikipedia...uis-style_pizza

St. Louis-style pizza is a distinct type of pizza popular in the Midwestern American city of St. Louis, Missouri[1] and surrounding areas. The definitive characteristics of St. Louis-style pizza are a very thin cracker like crust made without yeast, the common (but not universal) use of Provel processed cheese, and pizzas cut into squares or rectangles instead of wedges.

Detroit Style:
http://www.seriousea...tyle-pizza.html

When did Detroit pizza become a thing? I mean, I know that rectangular pan pizzas have been served in the Motor City since at least 1946, when, according to Pure Michigan, bar owner Gus Guerra and his wife, Anna, decided to throw a batch of her mother's Sicilian dough into a blue steel pan, originally used to carry auto parts, and bake it with cheese and sauce. The pizza emerged with a blackened, lacy, crispy cheese crust all the way around the edges, and a new pizza style was born. Buddy's, the restaurant opened by the Guerras, has been serving it ever since.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#48 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,167 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Ryan, I was too lazy to Google it up!😄
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#49 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

Jet's has the best "Detroit style", but I didn't know it had an official name. We just call it "square deep dish". The crispy cheese on the toasted, buttery edges is THE reason to get it.

Detroit, IMHO, is better known for coneys. :)

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#50 CraigDK

CraigDK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Railroading, Engineering, Aviation, Philosophy, Theology

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Jet's has the best "Detroit style", but I didn't know it had an official name. We just call it "square deep dish". The crispy cheese on the toasted, buttery edges is THE reason to get it.

That's what I grew up calling it too, I only heard of the phrase Detroit style sometime in the last decade. Although it is a deep dish, it doesn't feel as heavy in the stomach as a typical Chicago deep dish does. And yes, the crispy cheese buttery edges are what define it (at least in my mind).

Now I want a couple of coneys Lafayette coneys... Although I would settle for a couple from National as well.

If only I could find them or the pizza I grew up with somewhere here on the Delmarva peninsula.

Edited by CraigDK, 10 August 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#51 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,504 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

Jet's has the best "Detroit style", but I didn't know it had an official name. We just call it "square deep dish".

Of course you did, since you’re in Michigan and all. If your from a place, you don’t refer to it as $PLACE_NAME food!

People in Italy don’t call it “Italian food”, it’s just “food”. We don’t call burgers and dogs “American food”, it’s just “food” (unless you’re trying to be super pretentious).

:D
Posted Image

#52 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

That's what I grew up calling it too, I only heard of the phrase Detroit style sometime in the last decade. Although it is a deep dish, it doesn't feel as heavy in the stomach as a typical Chicago deep dish does. And yes, the crispy cheese buttery edges are what define it (at least in my mind).

Now I want a couple of coneys Lafayette coneys... Although I would settle for a couple from National as well.

If only I could find them or the pizza I grew up with somewhere here on the Delmarva peninsula.

I think it's because our deep dish is mostly bread, with the toppings and sauce and cheese of a normal pizza. It's glorified breadsticks.  :P

Chicago-style has a pie-style crust, so you get just a normal amount of crust and then eighty pounds of delicious, gooey cheese stuffed with meat and veggies and whatever. Then there's the thin layer of sauce on top. It's like eating a casserole, but with tons of cheese.

Also, I've been craving a Lafayette coney for weeks now, so thanks for that. ;) 

#53 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

Jet's has the best "Detroit style", but I didn't know it had an official name. We just call it "square deep dish".

Of course you did, since you’re in Michigan and all. If your from a place, you don’t refer to it as $PLACE_NAME food!

People in Italy don’t call it “Italian food”, it’s just “food”. We don’t call burgers and dogs “American food”, it’s just “food” (unless you’re trying to be super pretentious).

:D

Fair point. 

#54 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,167 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

I'd forgotten how good the Detroit Coneys are!😙 Better than Chicago or New York Dogs, which are good, but none are as good as Texas Chili/Cheese Dogs!😁😍😄

#55 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

https://en.wikipedia...uis-style_pizza

St. Louis-style pizza is a distinct type of pizza popular in the Midwestern American city of St. Louis, Missouri[1] and surrounding areas. The definitive characteristics of St. Louis-style pizza are a very thin cracker like crust made without yeast, the common (but not universal) use of Provel processed cheese, and pizzas cut into squares or rectangles instead of wedges.

Other than the Provel (which is probably the most distinctive St Louis addition) this sounds like just about every pizza served up by most Chicago pizza joints, too, which is the sort of staple that Chicagoans really eat.

Triangles confuse us.

Edited by NorthShore, 10 August 2017 - 07:00 PM.

#56 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

When I worked for Papa John's many years ago, we cut our thin crust pizzas into squares instead of triangles. It was called a "Chicago cut" (or "party cut", since the customers had no idea what that meant, but those of us actually cutting the pies called it a "Chicago cut").

#57 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

When I worked for Papa John's many years ago, we cut our thin crust pizzas into squares instead of triangles. It was called a "Chicago cut" (or "party cut", since the customers had no idea what that meant, but those of us actually cutting the pies called it a "Chicago cut").

The only problem with your recollection is that Papa John's doesn't actually make pizza. They make something, but it ain't pizza, that's for sure. :giggle:

#58 lstone19

lstone19

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the update, I didn't realize that all of the places in Willis Tower had closed. It's been a couple of years since I was on a layover in Chicago!

SAD!

Double-checking, it appears Market Creations on the second floor is still open. But as the OP is connecting on Saturday, of no help as it was always a weekday only place.

-- Larry

#59 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Mariano's grocery in Greektown, where one can certainly find lots of good, fresh food (including cooked meats, prepared salads, and such) to take and eat.

At Block 37, on Dearborn, is Latinicity with numerous eatery selections. Or, a little further across the river is the Italian equivalent, Eataly.

I'm always surprised that no one ever seems to recommend the Randolph Street restaurant district on this forum, considering how it is one of the most notable food hot spots in the city (and, really, just slightly further than Greektown.)

If one cares to journey a little further, you could easily get to Taylor Street, with all of its selections. (Have some Italian Ice, for goodness sake. It's the best!)

Or hop on the Blue Line to Wicker Park, with its restaurants.

Take the Red Line north and explore interesting eateries around Boystown. Ride south, instead, and you're quickly in Chinatown. Further north, at Argyle, will lead you to even more Asian restaurants in another noted district. And Andersonville has some interesting bread and circuses, also.

Of course, if you want a true Chicago place, with an eclectic variety of locals, head to Bari for an Italian Sub.

Edited by NorthShore, 11 August 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#60 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Mariano's grocery in Greektown, where one can certainly find lots of good, fresh food (including cooked meats, prepared salads, and such) to take and eat.

At Block 37, on Dearborn, is Latinicity with numerous eatery selections. Or, a little further across the river is the Italian equivalent, Eataly.

I'm always surprised that no one ever seems to recommend the Randolph Street restaurant district on this forum, considering how it is one of the most notable food hot spots in the city (and, really, just slightly further than Greektown.)

If one cares to journey a little further, you could easily get to Taylor Street, with all of its selections. (Have some Italian Ice, for goodness sake. It's the best!)

Or hop on the Blue Line to Wicker Park, with its restaurants.

Take the Red Line north and explore interesting eateries around Boystown. Ride south, instead, and you're quickly in Chinatown. Further north, at Argyle, will lead you to even more Asian restaurants in another noted district. And Andersonville has some interesting bread and circuses, also.

Of course, if you want a true Chicago place, with an eclectic variety of locals, head to Bari for an Italian Sub.

Honestly, Latinicity(stupid auto correct on phone for initially not spelling it right) is kinda more like Foodlife in Water Tower Place mall, than it is Eataly. Which is a cafeteria where you're given a card to spend on whatever food items you want to get, each food station scans your card and adds those food items to your bill, then you pay for it. Eataly does NOT have any kind of card system or cafeteria setup like that, and it has both regular stands on the first floor, and a few full service restaurants(besides a few extra stands) on the 2nd floor.

I haven't gone to Latinicity yet, but sadly the online reviews on a few sites scare me from wanting to give them a try. Dunno why. And darnit, now I want to go back to Eataly again thanks to your post! :) Been a darned long time since my last visit, sigh.

And finally I'll add if you go to Chinatown, don't be afraid to also visit Bridgeport. It has a bunch of restaurants that till recently(thanks Diners Drive-In's and Dives!), sometimes fell under the radar (till tht episode, Nana). And Chinese restaurants and shops sometimes opening there instead in recent years, also adding to the flavor of that area. Oh yeah if anyone's into microbrewed/craft beer here(why do I suspect many aren't into that here? maybe I'll be proven wrong), Maria's is a great beer bar.

Edited by dogbert617, 12 August 2017 - 06:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users