Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Chicago Layover

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Hanno

Hanno

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

We will be traveling to Glacier Park later this month and we have a layover in Chicago. We are scheduled to arrive at 8:45 AM and will be departing again at 2:15 PM.

Where would be a good place to have lunch in the vicinity of the station?

Thanks for your assistance!

#2 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

What day of the week? There is a nearby food hall that people on this board have talked about, but it is a weekday only location.

#3 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

I often eat lunch at Beggars Pizza, which is on Clinton Street - virtually across the street from Union Station.

http://www.beggarspi...cago-west-loop/

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#4 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

We like to eat at Potbelly's Grill across the river from Union Station. Just cross the Adams St bridge and it is on the north side. If weather is nice we sit out on their deck and watch the boats on the river. Sandwiches are good and reasonably priced and service is quick.

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    85,179 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#5 stappend

stappend

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

We often go to Giordano's on Jackson st.

https://giordanos.co...n-central-loop/

#6 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

If the day is nice, we usually find a sandwich shop, order to go then eat and relax by the river.  Last trip, time was short so we tried a new shop actually located in the Union Station Food Court, "PRET A MANGER".  Their selection was good and everything is freshly made each day,  Nothing is carried over from day to day.  This is a London based chain.

#7 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

Funny, There is one (Pret) on the corner of Church and Park Place in downtown NYC I used to go to that one fairly often when I ran some courses on Park Place. Good selection of fresh sandwiches, and soups. End of day leftovers donated to shelters so stuff was always fresh. On some other threads people have mentioned Revival Hall in Chicago, but that is weekdays only. 

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

If the day is nice, we usually find a sandwich shop, order to go then eat and relax by the river.  Last trip, time was short so we tried a new shop actually located in the Union Station Food Court, "PRET A MANGER".  Their selection was good and everything is freshly made each day,  Nothing is carried over from day to day.  This is a London based chain.

I have generally found Pret A Manger to be very good, including the original one in London.

#9 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,172 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

If you cross the River from Union Station there used to be a very nice Food Court in the Willis( Sears) Tower that had better selections and a more pleasant atmosphere than the Upstairs Food Court @ Union Station.Unfortunately it has Now Closed!😣

In The other Direction (in close walking distance) there is Lou Mitchells, a Chicago Institution, Al's Italian Beef, (get the Peppers on your Sandwich) and Greek Town is located a little bit to the West with several excellent places to enjoy lunch.

Updated thanks to info from Windy City residents!

Edited by Bob Dylan, 09 August 2017 - 10:38 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

Al's Italian Beef, a block west of the station at the corner of W. Adams and Jefferson.  I don't think I've ever seen Chicago's "wet" Italian beef sandwiches anywhere outside the Chicago area, and they're great.

There's also Chicago-style hot dogs at Gold Coast Dogs in the station itself.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#11 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

The French Market is just a few blocks away and definitely worth a stroll.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#12 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

If "vicinity of the station" is limited to two blocks from the station, Trip Advisor's map feature...  https://www.tripadvi...is.html#MAPVIEW  ...shows about 65 places to eat in that area as well as their location.  Clicking on an icon will reveal hours, phone number and often a link to the menu as well as customer reviews and a ranking compared to all other places in Chicago.

Edited by niemi24s, 03 August 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#13 Tony in Ann Arbor

Tony in Ann Arbor

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

We get to the Greek Islands restaurant http://greekislands.net/at least once a year during an Amtrak trip.  We learned of it four or five years ago from this site.  Great food, service, and atmosphere.

#14 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Travel, rail travel, libraries, current events

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

Pret A Manger is probably my favorite location in Washington Union Station; I find their Chicago locations to be a bit lacking, and I can't quite put my finger on it as to why. But one can't really beat the quality of the food; I picked up a couple sandwiches a day or two prior to my departure from CHI last month and had one leftover I took on the train. It came in quite handy as a mid-afternoon lunch as I departed Union Station.

As for nearby dining spots near CUS, if you're in the mood for a burger, I like Epic Burger, with a location about two blocks from CUS [I believe it's the West Loop location at 550 West Adams], and eight locations in Chicagoland. Similar to Smashburger in the western US, though with a focus on high quality and minimally-processed ingredients. (Not often do I get a choice of Havarti on a quick service hamburger.)

A scenic walk along with food can be had by heading to the Merchandise Mart across the river. Along with a very decent Potbelly's location, there's the requisite Starbucks and a few other dining opportunities (some in a food court, some not), all catering to the daytime office crowd. Unlike many Loop lunch-type spots, many of the Mart restaurants are open past 5 PM and a couple open as late as 8 PM.

Edited by RSG, 06 August 2017 - 05:25 AM.

#15 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

I recommend Mughal India, 560 W. Van Buren, for the lunch buffet M-F. Weekends you can order off the regular menu.

New to the neighborhood is The Ruin Daily, a cool lunch spot with a full bar, 328 S. Jefferson.

#16 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Pret A Manger is probably my favorite location in Washington Union Station; I find their Chicago locations to be a bit lacking, and I can't quite put my finger on it as to why. But one can't really beat the quality of the food; I picked up a couple sandwiches a day or two prior to my departure from CHI last month and had one leftover I took on the train. It came in quite handy as a mid-afternoon lunch as I departed Union Station.

As for nearby dining spots near CUS, if you're in the mood for a burger, I like Epic Burger, with a location about two blocks from CUS [I believe it's the West Loop location at 550 West Adams], and eight locations in Chicagoland. Similar to Smashburger in the western US, though with a focus on high quality and minimally-processed ingredients. (Not often do I get a choice of Havarti on a quick service hamburger.)

A scenic walk along with food can be had by heading to the Merchandise Mart across the river. Along with a very decent Potbelly's location, there's the requisite Starbucks and a few other dining opportunities (some in a food court, some not), all catering to the daytime office crowd. Unlike many Loop lunch-type spots, many of the Mart restaurants are open past 5 PM and a couple open as late as 8 PM.

My favorite restaurant in the Chicago area is Lou Malnati's. Although it was the first place to serve deep-dish pizza, they seem to have perfected it. There are multiple locations throughout the area; the one I usually go to is one block north of the Merchandise Mart CTA station. If you don't want to walk the whole way both ways, you could take the CTA there. The closest station to Union Station is Quincy, which is about a five minute walk east across the river. Because of the Loop's set-up, it is 7 stops when on the Brown Line when going to Merchandise Mart but only 2 stops on the way back to Union Station. If the Purple Line is running (weekday rush-hours only), it runs the opposite way around the Loop so it would get you there in only 2 stops; however it would still be faster to take the Brown Line back. If time is not an issue, I would recommend taking the Brown Line both ways to simplify your plans and so you can experience the entire Loop. Fares for the CTA are $2.25 each way. If you choose this option, look for the scenic Chicago River Bridge just after leaving the Loop and before arriving Merchandise Mart.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#17 Hanno

Hanno

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

What day of the week? There is a nearby food hall that people on this board have talked about, but it is a weekday only location.

It will be a Saturday. But I'll keep this in mind for future trips. Thanks!

#18 Hanno

Hanno

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

Thank you all for the variety of suggestions. I'm sure we will find something great from all these recommendations!

You're the greatest!

#19 kbmiflyer

kbmiflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

Late to the question, but we always eat at White Palace Grill when near Union Station.  It is the epitome of the 50's dinner.  It is about 3/4 of a mile down canal street.  All of there food is good, but breakfast is very good.   On a Saturday morning they will be hoping.  As an added bonus, you are right next to the Metra and Amtrak yards south of Union Station.

http://www.whitepalacegrill.com/

Another place that is closer is Luke Italian Beef, which also has pizza along with Italian beef, sandwiches, hot dogs, etc.  It is just a couple blocks East on Jackson Street, just past the entrance to the Wills (Sears) tower observation deck and Giordano's Pizza.  I like Luke's slightly better than the aforementioned Al's, they are both great.

http://www.lukesital...eefchicago.com/

Edited by kbmiflyer, 07 August 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#20 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

While I wouldn't call it in very close proximity of the station, when I have visitors coming into town, and the weather is nice, which in late August should be quite nice, I like to take them down to the recently completed riverwalk, along the south bank of the Chicago River. Between State and Dearborn along the riverwalk is City Winery. The menu is fairly simple: sandwiches, salads, and charcuterie plates, along with plenty of wine and mixed drinks. Get a table and watch the world go by. Very relaxing. Can't beat the view.

The riverwalk stretches from Michigan Ave. to Lake Street, close to Ogilvie Station. So, incorporating another suggestion here, grab something at the French Market to go and take it over to the riverwalk and enjoy it there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users