Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

A Major Expansion Could Occur if Amtrak only did this.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

I dont think NARP is good at that kind of thing. Or any kind of thing really.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#42 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

I think a few AU members could do a better job on those YouTube videos. Any volunteers?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#43 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

Getting the average American, who can barely perform arrithmetic 2 years after finishing College or Algebra, to understand things like operating, capital, avoidable, and fully allocated costs is a laughable concept

What's sad is that the average Congressman appears to be no more numerate than the average American.

I've met *good* Congresspeople who are significantly more numerate than the average American. It would be nice if they had a majority.

Edited by neroden, 17 October 2017 - 01:39 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#44 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

I would also rather have NARP work towards advocating funding for passenger rail service of all sorts rather than act merely as an additional marketing outfit for Amtrak. Amtrak is the one that should produce the kind of material suggested above.

#45 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Most congress persons and all POLs in general cannot understand numbers/  Instead they understand how to convince many voters that their rhetoric is all true and then cannot deliver.   Any examples ? 

Edited by west point, 17 October 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

Most congress persons and all POLs in general cannot understand numbers/  Instead they understand how to convince many voters that their rhetoric is all true and then cannot deliver.   Any examples ? 

But  the Congress persons' staff are often very knowledgeable and do understand numbers and all that. What one has to do is work with their staff and construct a presentation of the issues in a way that the Congress person can use constructively at the appropriate venues. I actually have a lot of respect for many of the Congressional staffers having worked with them for several years now, even of those Congresspeople whose core positions are completely opposed to many aspects of funding passenger rail. Even those are reasonably amenable to an argument made using solid numbers that actually affect their constituents. The current problem is meeting that "affect their constituents bar" in areas where there isn't much passenger rail. it is a bit of a chicken and egg problem in addition to changing the auto-centric mindset problem.

#47 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

Most congress persons and all POLs in general cannot understand numbers ...

Even those are reasonably amenable to an argument made using solid numbers that actually affect their constituents. The current problem is meeting that "affect their constituents bar" in areas where there isn't much passenger rail. it is a bit of a chicken and egg problem ...

I don't know when was the last clear-cut up or down vote on keeping vs slashing Amtrak. But it would be fun to map out the national system to see if the nay votes actually do come from unserved districts.

Well, I recall Sen McCain said Arizona didn't have any Amtrak service. I'd maybe forgive him for saying that if the only route was 3-days-a-week to Maricopa. But Arizona has that AND the relatively successful Southwest Chief.

Without actually doing such a map and comparison, I'll hazard that new, restored, or added service including, say, NYC-Charleston-Cincinnati-CHI increased to daily along with New Orleans-Houston/San Antonio-El Paso-Tucson-Maricopa-L.A. Then New Orleans-Orlando, Atlanta-Meridien-Dallas-Ft Worth, Denver-Omaha-Des Moines-CHI, NYC-Philly-Pittsburgh-Cleveland-CHI, a day train NYC-D.C.-Richmond-Raleigh-Charlotte-Atlanta, CHI-St Paul-Fargo-Billings-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle, and perhaps several other routes would be viable.

(Numerous corridors such as Baton Rouge-New Orleans, New Orleans-Biloxi-Mobile, Columbus-Ft Wayne-Chicago, CHI-Indianapolis-Cincinnati/Louisville, CHI-Toledo-Cleveland, and CHI-Memphis would also be viable.

Yes, viable. In fact, set the barrier for added long distance trains as having a service plan that must meet or exceed Amtrak's average LD revenue-per-passenger and operating results before unallocated overhead. (Note that I admit to nothing in capital expenditures for these routes. We'll need another few Stimulus-sized appropriations at least.)

Such an expanded system would also decrease the number of voting critics as their districts gained service and Amtrak's revenues, passenger totals, and operating results improved.

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 17 October 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#48 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:24 PM

I think NARP at one point produced a map showing how Congresspeople voted on a pretty clear up-or-down Amtrak vote, by district. While I expected nothing from the Wyoming representatives, there really were a surprising number of doctrinaire anti-Amtrak votes who had well-used stations in their districts, and quite a few Amtrak supporters with no station anywhere near their district. I'd like to see a more recent version of that map, but it seems to be a lot of work to create (unless there's a tool online where you can plug in a particular Congressional vote and get a map to pop out -- there might be but I don't know of one).
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#49 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

The problem outside the traditional Amtrak support areas is that if one is lucky to have a representative who supports Amtrak for whatever reason that is great. OTOH, if there is a rep that does not support Amtrak for doctrinaire reason, there is not enough of a group of Amtrak customers in his/her district to have much of an effect on him/her. Just having a little station in district is not enough. Having significant salary or other commercial spend in the district helps much more. And there is a rather broadly believed doctrine among many Americans that government running anything (except their highways of course) is bad. Ergo Amtrak is bad. So there is ready fertile ground for the antis to establish credibility for themselves on the subject. That in a nutshell is the problem.

#50 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

If I had to guess whether a Congress critter would support Amtrak or not the stereotypes would be...

a) Does Amtrak "serve" my state/district (when I say serve, it means frequency, time, to what cities)? Also, what other transportation options. Philly probably doesn't care as much about Amtrak while Amtrak means everything to Rugby, ND. I think it would make sense that Amtrak would have more support in rural areas with no airports nearby than urban areas.

b) Party lines when it comes to budget fights. I'm not saying it's right or makes sense but when do battles in Congress ever make sense. I know I'm treading the political lines here but you wonder if pro Amtrak vs. anti Amtrak is party lines. We do know of Republicans that do support Amtrak and I do guess they are in category a). Ironically, Republican support stereo-typically tends to be stronger in rural areas and Democratic support in urban areas.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#51 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

A bunch of off-topic posts have been moved to a new Lounge topic that can be found here:

http://discuss.amtra...of-republicans/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users