Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Meeting my new love - The Boeing 777

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#161 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

Why would anyone give precedence to a story of a well-managed mechanical failure over 17 people dead?

Well, for starters we're still concerned about plane crashes and we remain convinced they can be stopped.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 15 February 2018 - 07:22 PM.

#162 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

BTW, there was another emergency landing of an A320 with P&W engines in Las Vegas on the same day too. People were joking that P&W needs to bathe their office in salt water or something to remove the curse from it.

One digit and one airport code character off.  The plane was an A330, and it was in Lagos, Nigeria (LOS).

Unless there was an A320neo that had an emergency landing in Vegas, too.  That plane has had more than its share of engine problems of late.

Posted Image

#163 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,525 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

Unless there was an A320neo that had an emergency landing in Vegas, too.  That plane has had more than its share of engine problems of late.

So much so that Airbus has stopped accepting any further P&W Engines until they fix the known problems, and that is holding up A320neo deliveries, and everyone is marginally pissed off about it.

More on this aircraft. Tail # N773UA with 89720 hours and 16340 cycles. although this says nothing about the engine or the nacelle, since it has probably been changed/replaced several times in 20+ years.

#164 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:27 AM

Are there any published stats on whether P&W, RR, or GE engines have been more reliable in the 777?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#165 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Are there any published stats on whether P&W, RR, or GE engines have been more reliable in the 777?

I haven't found any.But that is not to say it does not exist.

One will recall that GE90's had a pretty rough going the first year of introduction and BA (first GE powered 777 customer) had to withdraw its 777s for several months until problems were fixed. Kind of similar to the problems that PW is having with 320neos.

BTW, Beyond 777-200ER, and 777-300 (not ER) the only engine available is various versions of GE90/9X. That is 777-200LR/F, 777-300ER and 777X versions have only GE90 or GE9X variants. No RR or PW engines for them.

#166 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

That GE90-115B is awesome!

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#167 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:49 AM

777; the most beautifully proportioned aircraft Mr. Boeing put on this earth.

Was it ever an experience to fly on a one month old United 777-300 ORD-MUC last August. It still smelt new. Their Polaris Business Class is a superb product. One having "been there", hard to go back to "The Gulag" on an overseas flight.

Well, I went over again this year, but it was back to a 772(Q) I got 6A, which is nice because United does not sell 6B. It is for pilot rest, but if something is open in First, that's where they will go.

It seems that Polaris just "petered out". United got fifteen 773(W)'s new and they were so configured. But they are in no rush to reconfigure any existing 763's or 772's, save reportedly one each. Who knows the A-350's on order will be configured.

But an Attendant friend of mine with thirty five years says to me "hardly the first time they've made a big splash over something, then it just fades away".

Edited by GBNorman, 12 September 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#168 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

"hardly the first time they've made a big splash over something, then it just fades away".

Unfortunately, I find that statement, all too true...the 'bright idea people', in a company's marketing department will push for some innovation or improvement, and then have it quashed by the company's 'bean-counter's', before it even gets a fair chance to prove itself.  With advance sales algorithm's, they quickly determine that it may not be the success it was hyped to be, and put an early end to it before too much is invested...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#169 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

At least I will have Polaris on 77W on my EWR - BOM - EWR later this year

#170 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:17 PM

It seems that Polaris just "petered out". United got fifteen 773's new and they were so configured. But they are in no rush to reconfigure any existing 763's or 772's, save reportedly one each. 

Not sure where you're getting this idea from, but 11 767s have already been converted to Polaris, with two more currently in mod.  In fact, there is only one 767 with "old UA" business class left, and it will go in for mods pretty soon.  After that, three 767s that UA just bought from Hawaiian will go in for mods, along with, reportedly, some of the 767s that were initially modified to Continental-style business class shortly after the merger.

On the 777 front, they have 17 777-300ERs in service, with an 18th on the way soon.  One has already been modified to include their new premium economy product, and the rest should supposedly get converted in short order.  They also have five 777-200ERs with Polaris (and premium economy), with four more out of service for mods.

Boeing 787s with Polaris show up this fall, and the existing 787 fleet is supposedly going to go in for modifications by the end of next year.

Polaris did get off to a slow start, but it's moving along just fine now.

Posted Image

#171 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

Interesting to learn from member Trogdor.

My Attendant friend Maureen has yet to work a "W", although some of her "galpals" have. Looking way ahead to next August (not sure if I'm going again; I'll be 78 yo and "it just might be too much") but UA952/3 ORD-MUC-ORD is showing three class "Q" configuration.

But pleased to hear UA is moving ahead -especially with the 789's.

#172 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

United seat maps for flights far into the future, especially for fleets undergoing reconfiguration, don't mean much.  It's just a placeholder.

Posted Image

#173 B757Guy

B757Guy

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

That GE90-115B is awesome!

Yes they are, make me smile every time I line up on the runway. Excellent to have all that performance as needed, especially when during a go-around. I've only done one real-life GA so far in the 777, and it was even better than the 75/76, which had plenty of power to get you out of just about anything. 

• railiner likes this

I'm an airline pilot with a major US based carrier, and avid lover of trains since the very early days of Amtrak. I fondly recall GG1's zipping along the NEC, and sleeping in a slumbercoach on the Montrealer as a kid. I miss the old heritage cars, the GG1 and the original Budd Metroliners. The new equipment today simply doesn't have the same personality and elegance...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users