Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Meeting my new love - The Boeing 777

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,268 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Back in the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s when ALB was called Albany County Airport (before they renovated and built jetways and renamed it Albany International Airport), all access was via the stairs. So I have used stairs on many aircraft including DC-8, DC-9, L-1011, 707, 727, 737, B-1900, Piper Navajo and others.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#82 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Back in the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s when ALB was called Albany County Airport (before they renovated and built jetways and renamed it Albany International Airport), all access was via the stairs. So I have used stairs on many aircraft including DC-8, DC-9, L-1011, 707, 727, 737, B-1900, Piper Navajo and others.

I had regularly used stairs on 747s at Hong Kong Kai Tak, at which I never boarded or disembarked from a 747 at a jetway. Always stairs and then bus to the terminal or back.

My very first flight on a 707 involved stairs at Delhi Palam International. The first jetway that I ever used was at Moscow Sheremetyevo in 1965.

London Heathrow has often given us the stair treatment on 777s and 747s as has Frankfurt Rhein-Main. Fortunately A380s always got jetways.

#83 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Stairs and Jetway's....lots of those....but how many of you used one of these to get on or off an airliner?  I have at IAD...

And where in the world are they still in regular use?

https://www.google.c...4-86MbAKjrTmYM:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#84 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Don't know where they're still used (jis??) but I remember them @ Dulles and in Acapulco when Acapulco was still Cool!

Edited by Bob Dylan, 14 November 2017 - 03:17 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#85 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

Here's a blow up of one of those photo's.....did you see who built it? :cool:

https://www.google.c...z7dIDc3GYlIpLM:

It looks more like an artist's rendering, rather than a photo.....

Edited by railiner, 14 November 2017 - 09:24 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#86 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Kona (Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keāhole) uses stairs.  Hilo has had a world-class airport for many years, but beyond extending the runway the taxpayers have not seen fit to expand the passenger facilities at Kona.

My first (late) wife's daughter was a United Airlines flight attendant, and around 1981 there was a family emergency and they held the plane for her at the end of the runway in Kahului.  She was driven out in a truck with stairs on top, and boarded the DC-8 there.  I kind of doubt airlines or other operational entities would allow this nowadays, not to mention that the Kahului runway is now too busy for a plane to sit waiting for one passenger. 

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#87 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

How one can survive an overseas "back there" also escapes me.

I'm booked on a IAD - PEK round trip on a government fare, which means I'll probably get to experience it and report back, unless I can find an upgrade (out of my own pocket) for a reasonable cost. But I've flown 12 hours from JFK - TLV in a 707 and lived to tell the tale, so surely I can deal with this.

Isn't that a bit like saying you're sure you'll be fine in a Fiat 500 seat because you once drove a 1960's Mercedes long distance? I haven't flown IAD-PEK but I have flown JFK-NRT (14hr vs 14.5hr) and it's nothing to scoff at with today's knee crushing economy seats, indifferent hands tied staff, and angry recline-mashing passengers.

Hey man, I have no choice. This is a business trip, and if I want more than economy, I can pay for it on my own dime. In fact, our travel guru found out that if the trip is more than 14 hours, we can be reimbursed for business class! Unfortunately, we found this out too late, as there were no business class upgrades available once we were ticketed. But there were economy plus upgrades, at $200 a pop. (We are paying about $2,000 for the round trip, reimbursable government contract fare). So we went to our mangers who said OK, but then we found that our agency policy requires some high muckety-muck political appointee sign off on it, and there was no time to circulate the request to get approval. So we're stuck with economy. Now I bought myself an economy plus seat out to PEK on my own dime, and so far, it looks like I have the whole row to myself. But when I looked at the seating chart for the trip mack, the only Economy plus seats were middle seats, and I really prefer an aisle seat. Also, so far. the middle seat where I'm sitting is empty, so if I'm lucky, I might have a little more room anyway. The other goofy thing is that IAD-PEK is 14 hrs 5 minute, but PEK - IAD is 13 hrs.35 min, so we wouldn't be reimbursed for business class or economy plus anyway on the return trip. If I have to go out there again, you can be sure that I'm going to insist that I take a connecting flight, which will definitely exceed the 14 hour mark. I think BWI - PEK on United involves a change in Chicago, which is fine with me. Leaving from Dulles is going to be a pain in the neck, involving a 2 hour drive on both ends (I live in Baltimore, right?), which is particularly nasty thing to consider after a nonstop flight from Beijing. In fact, when I come in, I'm going to just crash at the hotel at Dulles and drive home the next morning. (The flight leaves Beijing at 1825 and arrives in Dulles at 1900. It will be the longest half hour of my life. ;) ) Oh, and it looks like we're flying a 787, not a 777. So maybe we should start a different thread.

Sounds like you've had a rough start to a long trip. Hopefully you can switch your ticket to an aisle/window seat before departure. I'm not crazy about the 787's electronic shades and air nozzle design, but other than that I strongly prefer the 787 over the 777. Larger windows, lower ambient noise, reduced air pressure, higher humidity, softer lighting, larger/sharper AVOD, fewer under seat obstructions, more power connections, etc. I have my own long haul flight coming up that's blocked at 16.5 hours in a 777. I'm booked into premium economy, which sounds like the ultimate oxymoron, and the closer I get to departure the more I begin to wonder if I'm some sort of delusional masochist. :wacko:

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 14 November 2017 - 04:44 PM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#88 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,268 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

I’ve used the Plane-Mate at IAD. Including the last time I was there, but that was 7-10 years ago. But I think they now have a subway to reach the mid-field terminals.

When I arrived IAD from LHR, the jet parked at the gate at the mid-field terminal. You exited the jet but diverted directly to the Plane-Mate which went to the C&I terminal. I do not know what they do now.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#89 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

For some reason, my post #85, on the laptop did not show the photo, (my phone did [?]), so I edited it, and put in the link....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#90 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

Don't know where they're still used (jis??) but I remember them @ Dulles and in Acapulco when Acapulco was still Cool!

They are still used at IAD, but only for inter terminal transport for areas that are not fully served by the APM yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#91 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

Not sure if they are still used at JFK anymore....I believe DL terminal had some, and the Port Authority also had some parked to be used for emergency evacuation's...again, it's been a long time since I worked on the airside at JFK....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users