• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

I flew the F-111 in the Air Force, and the variant I flew was still mostly analog. The conversion to MFD's and glass in the F16 was actually not that difficult, and a welcomed upgrade! I love the glass flightdeck we have in the 757/767, as it reduced our workload and allowed us better situational awareness. The 777 ups that another notch, which is fantastic. Still, I love flying my 1986 Beechcraft with it's steam gauges and HSI, but do use Foreflight on my iPad too! 

All I remember about the F-111 was that the F-111B variant turned out to be a disaster.
My memories of the F-111 include the huge amount of money spent on it, ( for the times) The political horsetrading that LBJ and McNamara used to get it built in Fort Worth, and the Pilots that told me how much they hated flying it! YMMV
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#42 B757Guy

B757Guy

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

I flew the F-111 in the Air Force, and the variant I flew was still mostly analog. The conversion to MFD's and glass in the F16 was actually not that difficult, and a welcomed upgrade! I love the glass flightdeck we have in the 757/767, as it reduced our workload and allowed us better situational awareness. The 777 ups that another notch, which is fantastic. Still, I love flying my 1986 Beechcraft with it's steam gauges and HSI, but do use Foreflight on my iPad too! 

All I remember about the F-111 was that the F-111B variant turned out to be a disaster.
My memories of the F-111 include the huge amount of money spent on it, ( for the times) The political horsetrading that LBJ and McNamara used to get it built in Fort Worth, and the Pilots that told me how much they hated flying it! YMMV

I loved flying the F-111. It was always an exciting airplane to fly, especially flying very fast, very low to the ground. She was a good plane, and always got myself and my WSO home safe.

I'm an airline pilot with a major US based carrier, and avid lover of trains since the very early days of Amtrak. I fondly recall GG1's zipping along the NEC, and sleeping in a slumbercoach on the Montrealer as a kid. I miss the old heritage cars, the GG1 and the original Budd Metroliners. The new equipment today simply doesn't have the same personality and elegance...

#43 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

It wasn't a dogfighter, which is why the US Navy didn't particularly want it.  They apparently thought that they'd save money with a common platform, but I thought in the end it was really designed to USAF requirements and way too big to land on a carrier even though the F-111B was shortened.  I don't know if the lessons were learned with the F-35 program.  Strangely enough the F-35C is larger for more lift.

Image171.jpg

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=23126

The F-14 turned out fairly well and that was from learning what went wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users