Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Northeast Regional to Roanoke Beginning Oct 30

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_EchoSierra_*

Guest_EchoSierra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

As some of you may already know from the press releases, Amtrak is extending the Lynchburg branch of the Northeast Regional to Roanoke, with service beginning on Oct 30. (Amtrak currently has a Thruway bus service to Roanoke from Lynchburg)

Does anyone know or have an idea of when Amtrak will begin selling tickets on this route?

#2 Anthony V

Anthony V

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

It has not been announced when they'll begin selling tickets yet.

#3 Guest_Dlagrua_*

Guest_Dlagrua_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

The Roanoke service is great news. First extended route in quite a while. What is disappointing is that the city has two railroad stations on the line where Amtrak will be stopping. One is the old Virginian RR station that was restored, and the other the N & W station that has become travel info center with a museum below. If you have ever been there the main floor of the N & W station, except for a travel info desk is completely empty. All they would need are some benches and it can be a good indoor waiting area.

0a7dd11727964b1c0ba7f91c53600be7--roanok

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,568 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Is the station code going to change? RNK still says that it's the bus stop at the civic center and I can't book anything. :(
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Tickets bought for any Roanoke Thruway Bus after the inauguration of the train will be converted to a train ticket all the way to/from Roanoke. https://www.google.c...XHRgBELJHnZD0Pg

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 05 September 2017 - 12:05 PM.

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,568 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

Crap, that says that it's the 31st, not the 30 as listed in the thread title.

I'm going to be in Blacksburg for the weekend, and would stick around Sunday night to head out on Monday, but staying until Tuesday is a no-go.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

The Roanoke service is great news. First extended route in quite a while. What is disappointing is that the city has two railroad stations on the line where Amtrak will be stopping. One is the old Virginian RR station that was restored, and the other the N & W station that has become travel info center with a museum below. If you have ever been there the main floor of the N & W station, except for a travel info desk is completely empty. All they would need are some benches and it can be a good indoor waiting area.
0a7dd11727964b1c0ba7f91c53600be7--roanok

That wouldn't work unless you put a new track across east end yard. The two closest tracks to be building are the shenendoah line followed by the further two which is the mainline to Lynchburg. That's why the station is a no go
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#8 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:22 AM

I'm going to be in Blacksburg for the weekend, and would stick around Sunday night to head out on Monday, but staying until Tuesday is a no-go.

You know you wannnaaaaaa lol!!

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users