53 replies to this topic

#21 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

I believe the protect sleeper was used on CAPITOL LIMITED #29 last Sat. due to one the Superliner sleepers having been bad-ordered.  Fortunately the consist had a transition dorm so the Viewliner was placed ahead of the Supers.  This is the first instance I am aware of for a low level car to be placed in revenue service with Superliners.
As to the CRESCENT, I continue read about high dwell times at NS' Norris Yard (Birmingham), which implies that trains being held out of the yard are probably contributing to delays on 19 & 20.  Have never been able to figure out why the Meridian-Tuscaloosa segment has been such problem for these trains.
Andy

I thought for sure you were mistaken, but...I just checked the consist for 29(22), and you're right! Viewliner 62005 was ahead of transdorm 39044, and the bad ordered sleeper 32112 brought up the rear of the train. The Viewliner deadheaded back in the same position on 30(24).

I'll bet it was interesting re-booking from one to the other, given the difference in room configurations and quantity.  I know some folks leaving ATL several months ago who were re-booked from sleeper to  BC coach account a bad ordered sleeper on 20.  They were told ahead of time and refunded the fare difference.

It was done back in the 1980s. You know, I would have very much enjoyed a Viewliner room on the Cap, given the choice.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#22 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:More trains !

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

OK, real time.  I'm on #20 right now.  At Livingston, AL, we were put in the hole to allow 3 freights to pass, then backed out because there was another one ahead of us on the same siding.  Then we were put in the hole again to allow another freight to pass (at least we didn't have to back out).  Next stop TCL, estimated 1.5 hours down after 30 minutes down out of MEI.

Update: in the hole one more time just short of TCL, Now backing out again account of freight ahead of us on the same siding.  Finallt arrived TCL 1:50 down.

Edited by GaSteve, 27 July 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#23 DennisInGeorgia

DennisInGeorgia

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Crescent, Capitol Limited, NEC,Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, California Zephyr.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

Sounds like NS, CSX, and AAR have been feeling their oats lately. Is it time to start calling our Congresscritters?

#24 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

If 19 $ 20 are having to do a lot of backing out then maybe baggage needs to be back on the front to give conductor a better location for backing ?

#25 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

If 19 $ 20 are having to do a lot of backing out then maybe baggage needs to be back on the front to give conductor a better location for backing ?

Fail to see the difference between conductor standing in the door of a bag vs the door of a sleeper.

#26 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

20/27 lost 3:30 additional ATN - ATL. Left ATL 5:00 late at 1:10 AM this morning

#27 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

20/27 lost 3:30 additional ATN - ATL. Left ATL 5:00 late at 1:10 AM this morning

Account of extreme freight interference just outside of ATL, mainly NS, and then the crew went dead on the clock.

#28 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

And now 19 is leaving late due to 20's late arrival.

Edited by Triley, 29 July 2017 - 09:53 PM.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#29 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

And that's 19 is leaving late due to 20's late arrival.

Estimating out at 10 PM, 2 hours down.  

#30 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

Actually departed at midnight.  Currently 4.5 hours down.

#31 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

It took 49 minutes for the station stop in ATL this morning.  Seems like a long time.  Maybe they couldn't depart due to NS traffic?

ASMAD - Has your train been running on time?

Amtrak Timetable Archives - PDFs since 2009

#32 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

It took 49 minutes for the station stop in ATL this morning.  Seems like a long time.  Maybe they couldn't depart due to NS traffic?

Could be, although that train can hardly ever can do that stop in the allotted time.

#33 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:34 PM

Could be, although that train can hardly ever can do that stop in the allotted time.

#34 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

ATL is a  crew change and servicing stop so it takes time, particularly if things are out of order.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#35 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

To expand on 3rd rail's post. It is potable water servicing, all under car inspections, brake check, minor maintenance and occasionally water for the locos. To top it off the number of boarding's and exits thru a very difficult station access does not help. A one time only a suburban station not built for LD.

#36 offroad437

offroad437

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

To expand on 3rd rail's post. It is potable water servicing, all under car inspections, brake check, minor maintenance and occasionally water for the locos. To top it off the number of boarding's and exits thru a very difficult station access does not help. A one time only a suburban station not built for LD.

I’ve also been onboard when we were extremely late and took on fuel. Guess it is a rarity but possible fuel stop.

#37 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

I’ve also been onboard when we were extremely late and took on fuel. Guess it is a rarity but possible fuel stop.

Both correct, but the scheduled dwell time of 25 to 30 minutes is obviously too short.

#38 DennisInGeorgia

DennisInGeorgia

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Crescent, Capitol Limited, NEC,Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, California Zephyr.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

Here's another related issue: We're on 20 next week and im consistently seeing it arrive in ATL after 9pm. The diner closes at 9pm supposedly although it has been kept open as a courtesy before. Is there a set time when the crew HAS to close to set for breakfast? Trying to determine the ETA that makes it necessary to stop at a Subway enroute to the station sine there is absolutely nothing within walking distance any more. Help?

#39 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

Track your train on one of the apps.  Once it leaves Anniston, AL  (ATN) calculate that it will arrive ATL no later than 45 additional minutes late from Anniston.  Bu remember that checked baggage time is 45 minutes before schedule ATL departure time or 25 minutes less than ATN delay.  So if it leaves ATN 25 minutes late  ( there is 25 minutes schedule pad ATN - ATL ) ( ATL ETA is based on no schedule pad ) you must check bags 45 minutes earlier than schedule departure.  That is check bags not in bag check line.  Confusing ?   Note also no pets on any Amtrak train if trip is scheduled for more than 7 hours. 

Edited by west point, 01 August 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#40 offroad437

offroad437

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

Today it lost almost 6 hours between Atlanta and Aniston. The onetime percentage must be close to 0% this summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users