Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Across Canada by Train

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

In June I rode three VIA Rail trains across Canada, coast-to-coast. I've made a short trip report (10 minutes) and I hope you like it.

(It should start in HD, but if not, you can choose HD1080 in Settings (right hand corner). And please do not forget Full Screen and your loudspeakers.)

Have fun!

https://www.youtube....h?v=uGts8BwXdSc

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades.

Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax, NS-Montréal, QC), Corridor Montréal-Toronto, The Canadian (Toronto, ON-Vancouver, BC).

Amtrak: approx. 25,000 miles and 47 states.

VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#2 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

Very Nice...Thanks for posting!

#3 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for posting, it brought back memories of my own Toronto to Vancouver train ride a few years back. Certainly the food and the champagne was very good, and we even saw a little bear near the train tracks.

I don't like cold weather, but it is still an ambition of mine to get kitted out correctly and ride the Via Rail train in winter snow from Winnipeg to Churchill and back.

Cheers,

Ed.

#4 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:49 AM

Hi Ed, that's also one of my dreams on the bucket list, the train to Churchill. But I learned from VIA Rail staff that this train is suspended at the moment because of the bad condition of the track. Cheers.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades.

Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax, NS-Montréal, QC), Corridor Montréal-Toronto, The Canadian (Toronto, ON-Vancouver, BC).

#5 Heath Loxton

Heath Loxton

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

The Via Rail train to the Hudson bay is still running from Winnipeg to Gilliam, or about 82% of the way to Churchill. :) 

#6 JRR

JRR

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

Nice job. We went the other way, but only k the Rocky Mountaineer to Banff ad he picked the p the Canadian at Jasper to Toronto. Then the same over trains to Halifax. Great trip and enjoyed your production. Good job!

#7 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,158 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

Well done.  One of the best trip reports I've seen.  Thanks for sharing.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#8 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:05 PM

Enjoyed the way you presented that Woodcut and thought your idea of putting the visuals to music worked very well, thank you.

Have a question for you. Was the ridership any different on Canadian LD rail to US LD rail?

#9 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:24 AM

Thank you all for your kind words.

@Everydaymatters: I'm blushing. You might like my Amtrak trip report as well:

https://www.youtube....h?v=yqmDL8YzdEk

@v v: If by ridership you mean what the average passenger is like, then yes, it was different, especially The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver) was more of a tourist train, with a lot more passengers from overseas (I met people from Germany, Britain, France, South Korea, Australia, which I never did on all my LD trips on Amtrak).

Edited by Woodcut60, 26 July 2017 - 05:26 AM.

#10 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

Excellent presentation. I appreciate your selection of the music by Vaughan Williams, one of my favorite composers. One correction: If my memory is correct, the Thompson River is in British Columbia, not Alberta.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#11 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:19 AM

Speaking of Canadian VIA trains, I have to say I always thought it might be fun to take the Ocean between Montreal and Halifax someday. Ditto with of course their other routes too, such as the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver. But since I hear that one is super expensive to book(vs. say the Empire Builder), maybe it's just best I try to do the Ocean first.

I will watch that youtube video in post #1, a little later. Tired at the moment.

Thank you all for your kind words.

@Everydaymatters: I'm blushing. You might like my Amtrak trip report as well:

https://www.youtube....h?v=yqmDL8YzdEk

@v v: If by ridership you mean what the average passenger is like, then yes, it was different, especially The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver) was more of a tourist train, with a lot more passengers from overseas (I met people from Germany, Britain, France, South Korea, Australia, which I never did on all my LD trips on Amtrak).

With the pricing I've seen for the Canadian, I'm not surprised it has a higher amount of tourists vs. say, the Empire Builder. That's interesting you didn't meet a lot of foreign tourists when riding Amtrak, since I've definitely run into some over all my years of riding Amtrak.

Edited by dogbert617, 28 July 2017 - 04:22 AM.

#12 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

This is a great report.  Thank you for posting.  I have on my list to ride some of the Canadian trains, just haven't crossed the border yet.  Thanks again for posting your trips.

#13 Cardinal

Cardinal

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Train travel, photography, gardening

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Thank you for your wonderful video. Brought back lots of memories. We did the Canadian in 2014. Last summer we did a round trip on a Corridor between Kingston and Montreal, followed by the Ocean to Moncton.

AMTRAK: Cardinal, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Northeast Regional-Lynchburg, Downeaster, Maple

Leaf,Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Hiawatha, California Zepher

Metropolitan Rapid Rails: Vancouver SkyTrain, Portland MAX Light Rail, Minneapolis METRO Light Rail, Atlanta MARTA Light Rail, WMATA Metrorail, Salt Lake City TRAX

VIA Rail: Canadian, Corridor, Ocean

Numerous excursions

#14 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:29 AM

@greatcats: Thanks for pointing that out to me. Canadian geography for a European is not easy...

Edited by Woodcut60, 11 August 2017 - 02:30 AM.

#15 EmCee Al

EmCee Al

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Beautiful job, Woodcut60!  Like you, I would have looked until I found the "Oscar Peterson" memorial, too!

#16 CameraObscura76

CameraObscura76

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:26 AM

Excellent presentation! I spent a few days in Vancouver, BC as part of my trip to the PNW to visit my brother who’s stationed in Bremerton, WA so it was nice to see some of the same sights I’d photographed.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users