Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Vermonter to Downeaster

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 margo

margo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Family, church, travel

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

Is there any way to get from the Vermonter to the Downeaster?  We're not going to any certain stop, we just want to ride these two trains.  Thank you.

Trains ridden: Downeaster, Adirondack, Vermonter, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Lake shore Limited, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Texas eagle, Sunset limited, Coast Starlight, Empire Service, City of New Orleans. Scenic excursion trains-Combres & Toltec from Chama NM, Georgetown Loop in CO, White Pass & Yukon in Alaska.  I also rode the KCS passenger train from Shreveport, LA to Dequincy, LA many times, and Lake Charles to Kansas City,  before Amtrak.  This shows my age . My father and brother worked for the KCS, so I guess trains are in my blood!

#2 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

I rode those two trains last year. I took the Downeaster from Portland, ME, to Boston, then the Lake Shore Limited to Springfield, MA, and then the Vermonter to St. Albans, VT.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades.

Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax, NS-Montréal, QC), Corridor Montréal-Toronto, The Canadian (Toronto, ON-Vancouver, BC).

Amtrak: approx. 25,000 miles and 47 states.

VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#3 margo

margo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

That sounds like a good plan.  Thank you

Trains ridden: Downeaster, Adirondack, Vermonter, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Lake shore Limited, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Texas eagle, Sunset limited, Coast Starlight, Empire Service, City of New Orleans. Scenic excursion trains-Combres & Toltec from Chama NM, Georgetown Loop in CO, White Pass & Yukon in Alaska.  I also rode the KCS passenger train from Shreveport, LA to Dequincy, LA many times, and Lake Charles to Kansas City,  before Amtrak.  This shows my age . My father and brother worked for the KCS, so I guess trains are in my blood!

#4 daybeers

daybeers

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Trains, obviously, both real and model, Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

Margo, if you're going from the Vermonter to the Downeaster, the connection is much less reliable. Since eastbound LSL #449 starts in Chicago, it often gets delayed due to freight train interference. Woodcut was talking about going westbound on LSL #448, which is a much more reliable connection because it starts in Boston.

Also, mods, can we move this to the Amtrak Rail Discussion instead of Amtrak's Future?

Amtrak travel so far:

Springfield Shuttle: HFD-WND, HFD-NHV

Lake Shore Limited: SPG-CHI, CHI-SPG Roomette

Northeast Regional round-trip lots of times: NHV-NYP, NHV-WIL, NHV-WAS, HFD-WAS (some in Business)

Acela: PHL-NHV, Business Class

Pennsylvanian: NYP-PGH, PGH-NYP, Business Class

Capitol Limited: WAS-CHI Bedroom

Foreign travel:

Eurostar: London-Paris

EuroNight: Paris-Milano Centrale, 6 person couchette (by far the worst train I have ever been on.)

Frecciarossa: Milano Centrale-Roma Termini

#5 margo

margo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the tip.  We've never ridden these trains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users