Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Musk Hyperloop New York-DC?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

In my view the Hyperloop concept was always a distant side project compared Musk's core interests (space transport, electric vehicles, antonymous driving, energy storage). More of a vague hobby really. Something to seed to other groups that they could take and run (or fail) with.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#42 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

That certainly seems like a scientifically researched article free of bias and bile. It also ignores that Amtraks capacity is what, maximum 1500 or so an hour on the corridor each way? So a 3300 capacity would allow for more than doubled ridership, and one minute headways would handle current ridership.

The vehicles need to be short to handle relatively tight curve radii, naturally. As for braking, the braking limit is not the machine, its the human body- reverse the polarity of the magnet and your car will stop cold. The occupants will be straberry jam, but the pod will be stopped.

Thirty seconds for stopping would be more than enough to stop the pod without injury to the passengers. I once stopped a friends Rhentech E7.2 (a W210 with a 7.2 liter V12) from 165 to zero in... I think it was a touch over 10 seconds. While it is an excellent demonstration of both the power of enormous twin caliper Brembo brakes and why one should never go that fast on the open road, it didnt even hurt. And that was a three point inertia reel, not a four point harness.

These objections, while sounding impressive, are just bloviation.

Yes, but presuming a certain specific bottleneck were resolved (the Hudson tunnels) Amtrak's capacity becomes a lot higher.  Even on the current setup Amtrak were using all four of its slots at the Hudson and running 12-car trains for the Regionals and 400-seaters for the Acelas they could push capacity to about 2300 without that.

If you open it up to 10x hourly trains (I know a some bullet trains run 10-12/hour) then your capacity falls between 4000-4800/hour (for 400-seat trains) and 13-16k pax (for an N700 Series Shinkansen).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#43 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

The Hudson tunnels are not the only bottleneck. Politics are a much bigger one.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users