Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Musk Hyperloop New York-DC?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

I highly recommend this article by Alon Levy:

https://pedestrianob...n-entrepreneur/

Some choice quotes:

"The barf ride that is as expensive as California HSR and takes as long door-to-door is also very low-capacity. The capsules are inexplicably very short, with 28 passengers per capsule. The proposed headway is 30 seconds, for 3,360 passengers per direction per hour. A freeway lane can do better: about 2,000 vehicles, with an average intercity car occupancy of 2. HSR can do 12,000 passengers per direction per hour: 12 trains per hour is possible, and each train can easily fit 1,000 people (the Tokaido Shinkansen tops at 14 tph and 1,323 passengers per train).

But even 30 seconds appears well beyond the limit of emergency braking. It’s common in gadgetbahn to propose extremely tight headways, presuming computerized control allowing vehicles to behave as if they’re connected by a rod. Personal rapid transit proponents argue the same. In reality, such systems have been a subject of research for train control for quite a while now, with no positive results so far. Safety today still means safe stopping distances."

"There is no redeeming feature of Hyperloop. Small things can possibly be fixed; the cost problems, the locations of the stations, and the passenger comfort issues given cost constraints can’t. Industry insiders with ties to other speculative proposals meant to replace conventional rail, such as maglev, are in fact skeptical of Hyperloop’s promises of perfect safety."

"There already exists a mode of transportation that involves security theater, travel at 1,000 km/h, poor comfort, and motion sickness."

Levy actually has some more recent posts that moderate some of the criticism, but don't totally eliminate it.  His most recent conclusions seem to be that unconventional modes like Hperloop are really nost practical for 1,000 km corridors, but that the costs are still pretty high for a newly developed technology.

https://pedestrianob...-could-it-work/

https://pedestrianob...-hyperloop-one/

https://pedestrianob...ight-is-a-joke/

https://pedestrianob...igh-speed-rail/

". I for one will keep putting vactrains in my 22nd-century science fiction, but not in my near-future science fiction.."

#22 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

That certainly seems like a scientifically researched article free of bias and bile. It also ignores that Amtraks capacity is what, maximum 1500 or so an hour on the corridor each way? So a 3300 capacity would allow for more than doubled ridership, and one minute headways would handle current ridership.

The vehicles need to be short to handle relatively tight curve radii, naturally. As for braking, the braking limit is not the machine, its the human body- reverse the polarity of the magnet and your car will stop cold. The occupants will be straberry jam, but the pod will be stopped.

Thirty seconds for stopping would be more than enough to stop the pod without injury to the passengers. I once stopped a friends Rhentech E7.2 (a W210 with a 7.2 liter V12) from 165 to zero in... I think it was a touch over 10 seconds. While it is an excellent demonstration of both the power of enormous twin caliper Brembo brakes and why one should never go that fast on the open road, it didnt even hurt. And that was a three point inertia reel, not a four point harness.

These objections, while sounding impressive, are just bloviation.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#23 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:13 AM

Even if we assume no technical complications arise as hyperloop is developed, and we assume it hits the same operating metrics as high speed rail, I still don't see it ever being built.  If it were that easy, we'd have had conventional high speed rail for decades now.

#24 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

We've never had a billionaire offer his own money to finance it before. It's similar to the situation with the NFL in Los Angeles. For over 20 years the NFL didn't have a team in Los Angeles because while everyone in the NFL thought it was a great idea to have a team in LA no one in LA was willing to pay a penny in taxes to pay for it. Then the owner of one of the teams was so rich he decided to buy some land and buy a stadium with his own money without any taxpayer support and now the Los Angeles Rams! You get Stan Kroenke and Elon Musk and things get done and the NFL and Maryland say go right ahead! 

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#25 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

To paraphrase Stanley Kubricks Dr. Strangelove: it is not technically difficult- it requires only the will to do so.

Hyper loops are more easily constructed in the BosWas because the biggest issue with HSR is acquiring adequate amounts of continuous relatively straight rights of way above ground in such a dense area. Hyperloops operate primarily with underground tunnels. Go sufficiently far beneath the ground and easements become easy.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#26 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

Why the heck does this forum delete quotation marks?
Posted Image

#27 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Why the heck does this forum delete quotation marks?

Were they so called "smart" (directional) punctuation?  If so they will be lost in the posting process.  I believe they're not actually deleted and will show up again if you try to edit the post.  They just won't be visible after posting.  Seems to be some sort of bug or technical limitation of IP.Board forum software.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 25 October 2017 - 11:26 AM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#28 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hyperloops operate primarily with underground tunnels. Go sufficiently far beneath the ground and easements become easy.

If building tunnel were that easy, we'd have had subterranean HSR for decades now.

#29 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

To paraphrase Stanley Kubricks Dr. Strangelove: it is not technically difficult- it requires only the will to do so.

Hyper loops are more easily constructed in the BosWas because the biggest issue with HSR is acquiring adequate amounts of continuous relatively straight rights of way above ground in such a dense area. Hyperloops operate primarily with underground tunnels. Go sufficiently far beneath the ground and easements become easy.

What is keeping us from simply building HSR underground or elevated like is done almost everywhere else in the world? That is hardly an argument in favor of Hyperloop per se.

#30 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:55 AM

Hyperloops operate primarily with underground tunnels. Go sufficiently far beneath the ground and easements become easy.

If building tunnel were that easy, we'd have had subterranean HSR for decades now.

Heck, we'd have another crosstown Metro line, or at least express tracks on the Red Line.

#31 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

We've never had a billionaire offer his own money to finance it before. 

http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop

"SpaceX has no affiliation with any Hyperloop companies, including, but not limited to, those frequently referenced by the media."

Seems to me like Mr. Musk isn't financing anything.

#32 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

Seems to me that the only advantage of the vactrain ("hyperloop") is that you'd get airline-like speeds on the ground.  But we already have technology that can give us airplane-like speed.  They're called "airplanes."  And airplanes only require complex infrastructure at the airports, they don't need to build hundreds and thousands of kilometers of vacuum tubing engineered to high tolerances, separate tube systems for intermediate stops, with very restricted grades and curvature. An airline system is completely flexible, the "airplanes" can fly between any two airports on the planet, so an airline company can change routes to meet changing demands immediately (as has happened to me several times during my travels when flights have been cancelled on me at the last minute.)  If you want to travel thousands of kilometers across the continent, or across the oceans between continents, in a timescale of hours, there's really not need to develop any new technology.

For distances of less than 1,000 km, I can't see any intrinsic advantage of vactrains over high speed rail.  For distances of less than 350 km, I don't even think high speed rail is needed, just something like the Northeast Regional can be competitive with airlines when you add travel time through airports, security, etc. to the time it takes to fly..  (My experience is that it takes a minimum of 4 hours to fly anywhere, even if the flight time is 30 minutes.)  Rail technology is every well understood and backwards-compatible with existing infrastructure.  Why re-invent the wheel, or rather, why invent a wheel substitute, when the wheel works perfectly well?

#33 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

Seems to me that the only advantage of the vactrain ("hyperloop") is that you'd get airline-like speeds on the ground.

Compared to modern passenger aircraft hyperloops would likely be much more energy efficient and be able to interconnect with commercial scale renewable power sources. Even the very latest passenger aircraft designs are extremely inefficient compared to land and water based transportation and they still aren't designed to fulfill their operational objectives with the energy density and power-to-weight ratio of renewable fuels. Those are advantages worth investigating, probably not here in the land of fossil fuel fanatics, but perhaps in other countries where the idea of experimenting with something new and different isn't quite so confusing and infuriating to average citizens.

But we already have technology that can give us airplane-like speed. They're called "airplanes." And airplanes only require complex infrastructure at the airports, they don't need to build hundreds and thousands of kilometers of vacuum tubing engineered to high tolerances, separate tube systems for intermediate stops, with very restricted grades and curvature.

I can only imagine what your grandfather had to say about passenger aircraft or your great grandfather had to say about the horseless carriage. The early days of airline travel were extremely risky and dangerous. Irrational concepts and cowboy logic ruled the day and people like you refused to participate and ridiculed those who did. But other people still kept investigating and correcting and redesigning until they eventually started to get some of it right. Over time more and more flaws in design and operation were resolved and eventually we managed to build one of the safest and most dependable methods of transit available.  It's entirely possible that this whole hyperloop idea will simply peter out and die, but it's also possible it will find and address a problem that it excels at resolving.  Personally I'm willing to withhold critical judgement until more of the technology has been built and tested.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 26 October 2017 - 01:02 PM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#34 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

What is keeping us from simply building HSR underground or elevated like is done almost everywhere else in the world? That is hardly an argument in favor of Hyperloop per se.

Above ground still requires difficult easements and mobilizes NIMBYS in a way a deep small bore tunnel doesnt.

And obviously, HSR has a much larger loading gauge than these hyperloops. And I wont really go into the major issue in the form of PBQD and related corruption.
Posted Image

#35 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

None of that has anything to do with Hyperloop. One could build smaller loading gauge stuff using whatever guide and propulsion technology one wishes. So I still call BS on that reasoning ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#36 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

We've never had a billionaire offer his own money to finance it before. 

http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop

"SpaceX has no affiliation with any Hyperloop companies, including, but not limited to, those frequently referenced by the media."

As long as Maryland or its taxpayers aren't paying a dime, they don't care who is, Musk can do whatever he wants.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#37 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:57 PM

All that means is that SpaceX isn’t funding anything. It makes no statement about what he is doing with his personal funds.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#38 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

All that means is that SpaceX isn’t funding anything. It makes no statement about what he is doing with his personal funds.

I get to use most of my personal funds to take the train once in a while. Poor Mr. Musk; he has to spend his on building one.

#39 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

Also, consider that loading gauge and capacity are closely-related.  The big issue with Hyperloop is that you either need big vehicles (lots of energy) or lots of little ones (which runs into spacing/safety issues).

On the other hand, the big problem with airports is that after a certain point they need lots and lots of space (witness how much land IAD/JFK take up; LGA/DCA are smaller, but they also have infamous capacity issues, and outside of something as sprawling as the LA basin having more than one "main" airport seems to cause consternation.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#40 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

Ding ding ding. We have a winner here. Don't listen to the bloviation: follow the money.

If "Hyperloop", which has now been redefined repeatedly due to the ridiculosities of the original napkin sketch, ever turns into anything practical, it'll end up being a train. Conical steel wheels, steel rails, comfortably sized vehicles, long trains. If it's underground and has a novel propulsion system, fine, whatever. But you can't beat conical wheels on rails.

Oh. Also, Musk idiotically claims that he's going to save money on digging tunnels by making them "smaller diameter", following which he specified a diameter six inches *larger* than standard London Underground diameter. Which is not by any definition "smaller". He simply has not done his research here. But I think he's smart enough that he's not going to commit serious money without doing his research.

Once he actually does his research, which he hasn't done yet, it'll turn into a train. Conical steel wheels on steel rails.

Edited by neroden, 09 November 2017 - 09:23 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users