Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Silver Star and Augusta, GA

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hey y'all

I know this has been discussed previously in another thread (I posted in that one), but I really do think that it is possible (not necessarily from a funding standpoint but from an infrastructure one) to re-route the Silver Star between Savannah, GA and Denmark, SC so as to include the Augusta, GA area.   Now, I realize that the freight railroads and Augusta/Richmond County officials would need to be "on-board", but it would be nice to have Augusta as a medium-sized stop for Amtrak.   I didn't suggest the Crescent, Palmetto or the Silver Meteor because those routes are too far away for a re-route to be practical.

Or, Amtrak could provide thruway bus service from Denmark to Augusta, if routing a train through the CSRA (Central Savannah River Area) would not be feasible.

Edited by LookingGlassTie, 19 July 2017 - 08:24 PM.

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#2 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Are you suggesting that Denmark, SC, be skipped, then?

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Why do you say not the SM?:huh: South of Savannah, both the SM & SS use the same tracks! (Except for the Tampa dogleg.)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#4 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,575 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

Why do you say not the SM? :huh: South of Savannah, both the SM & SS use the same tracks! (Except for the Tampa dogleg.)

Augusta is NORTH of Savannah, so the SS goes closer to Augusta than the SM, right (on it's way to Columbia).

#5 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

I would think that pulling traffic from eastern/central GA market might add more to revenue on the SS.  A bus bridge from the Crescent in Atlanta to Augusta might enhance Florida traffic from southern states as well. (now that a renewed Sunset looks doubtful at best).  But of course, getting NS or CSX to agree to trackage might be a formidable  challenge? 

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    85,179 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#6 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

I would think that pulling traffic from eastern/central GA market might add more to revenue on the SS.

By the time the SS gets as far south as GA, just how empty is it? I would think that by then it has accumulated all the passengers, and once it hits FL, it starts to loose passengers.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

Getting NS and/or CSX to upgrade tracks for passenger speeds may be another challenge. Realistically, there are so many other more worthwhile projects to worry about right now that this may best be addressed by a Thruway Bus.

#8 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Getting NS and/or CSX to upgrade tracks for passenger speeds may be another challenge. Realistically, there are so many other more worthwhile projects to worry about right now that this may best be addressed by a Thruway Bus.

Augusta would be a nice stop for Amtrak to make, but then I have no idea what freight railroad is in charge of the tracks that are just west of Denmark, SC. I agree with this poster, a Thruway Bus would probably be the best hope for those in Augusta who wish they had Amtrak long distance train service of some sort. Which honestly, it'd be easier to have a bus from either Denmark or Columbia to Augusta to service those passengers. My guess is that they'd do the bus out of Columbia, since it's staffed unlike Denmark.

As for New Orleans-Jacksonville, wasn't the talk now not so much about extending the Sunset eastward into Florida, but now via either extending the City of New Orleans south and east into Florida after New Orleans, or starting a new regional corridor train service between NOLA and Jacksonville?

#9 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

It's not really possible to reroute that way. It takes a freight on the current infrastructure six hours to go AUG to SAV. And the freight line to Columbia is now 25 mph. And the other line to fairfax then to Denmark needs a new leg of a wye. Just not possible.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#10 Anthony V

Anthony V

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

A good time to do an experimental test of such a reroute would be during the second Thursday-Sunday weekend in April. Why? At that time every year, the Masters Golf Tournament is held in Augusta, bringing hundreds of tournament spectators to that city that weekend. Amtrak service would relieve the strain on highways and airports in Augusta around that time every year.

#11 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

Are you suggesting that Denmark, SC, be skipped, then?

jb

Nope, just suggesting that Augusta be included as a stop between Savannah and Denmark.

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Given the current situation of tracks that is completely unworkable.

#13 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

Why do you say not the SM? :huh: South of Savannah, both the SM & SS use the same tracks! (Except for the Tampa dogleg.)

Understood, but the SM would have to deviate further once north of Savannah than the SS does.  Because the SM takes the route closer to the coast.

#14 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

Augusta is NORTH of Savannah, so the SS goes closer to Augusta than the SM, right (on it's way to Columbia).

Yep, the SS does go closer to Augusta.   :) 

#15 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

I would think that pulling traffic from eastern/central GA market might add more to revenue on the SS.  A bus bridge from the Crescent in Atlanta to Augusta might enhance Florida traffic from southern states as well. (now that a renewed Sunset looks doubtful at best).  But of course, getting NS or CSX to agree to trackage might be a formidable  challenge? 

True.   I wonder how feasible my idea is or if it's just a "pipe dream".   :)

#16 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

... pulling traffic from eastern/central GA market might add more to revenue on the SS.  ... But of course, getting NS or CSX to agree to trackage might be a formidable  challenge? 

Pipe dreams are allowed. Posting them here allows constructive criticism, and usually adds good information.

My pipe dream in this region is built on Charlotte-Columbia service. (Some assembly required.) That could be an extension of one or more Piedmonts Raleigh-Charlotte.

OR it could be a new long distance train, NEC-D.C.-Richmond-Raleigh-Greensboro-Charlotte-Columbia-Charleston-Savannah-Florida.

OR NEC-D.C.-Charlottesville-Lynchburg-Greensboro-Charlotte-Columbia-Charleston-Savannah-Florida. 

OR ... now to get back on topic LOL ... Charlotte-Columbia-Augusta-Savannah-Florida.

The current government in South Carolina won't spend a dime on passenger rail. And somebody would have to build a few miles of connecting track (NS and CSX) just north of Columbia. But sometimes politics can change very quickly.

#17 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

It is too bad that there could not be an extension of the Carolinian during the masters or at least day before and after its over.  That extension would work for just a single use on Wednesday down and D/H back to CLT.  Then D/H down Sunday to pick up riders.. 

#18 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

... pulling traffic from eastern/central GA market might add more to revenue on the SS.  ... But of course, getting NS or CSX to agree to trackage might be a formidable  challenge? 

Pipe dreams are allowed. Posting them here allows constructive criticism, and usually adds good information.

Unfortunately it also allows unconstructive criticism too often (not you Woody but others).

I know Amtrak has studied rerouting the SS via CLT which I think would be a great move but said it wasn't feasible at the time. 

My pipe dream in the Southeast has always been some train from ATL to Florida. I'd certainly love a through branch off the Crescent heading to Florida. If we're really dreaming, how about ATL-Augusta-SAV or ATL-Augusta-Charleston SC?

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#19 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

I resemble that remark Philly!😁😄

But once you quit advocating killing the Cardinal and/or other Trains to get your Pennsylvania Trains, you'll get no criticism from most of us!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#20 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

My pipe dream in this region is built on Charlotte-Columbia service. (Some assembly required.) That could be an extension of one or more Piedmonts Raleigh-Charlotte.

OR it could be a new long distance train, NEC-D.C.-Richmond-Raleigh-Greensboro-Charlotte-Columbia-Charleston-Savannah-Florida.

OR NEC-D.C.-Charlottesville-Lynchburg-Greensboro-Charlotte-Columbia-Charleston-Savannah-Florida. 

OR ... now to get back on topic LOL ... Charlotte-Columbia-Augusta-Savannah-Florida.

The current government in South Carolina won't spend a dime on passenger rail. And somebody would have to build a few miles of connecting track (NS and CSX) just north of Columbia. But sometimes politics can change very quickly.

You might just get your wish soon. If the things I'm hearing from multiple sources. SS won't be the only train rerouting.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users