How to get a credit for a miss issued ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railpost

Service Attendant
In order to get a credit for a miss issued ticket I am I better off talking to customer service on the phone or sending them direct mail or perhaps email.

In other words what should I do to get a credit for what happened with the ticket?

This is what happened, Around June 10/11 I had called Amtrak reservations in order to order 2 USA rail passes for 2 separate people who were supposed to be traveling together for only part of the trip.

After I made the reservations on the telephone when asked whether I was going to pay over the phone I had told the agent that this USA Rail Pass is for 2 people and therefore we will be paying separately for our tickets at the train station.

We were leaving for Sacramento California on June 15th on the California Zephyr. When we arrived at the Station to purchase the tickets and board the train, the ticket agent issued us one ticket which was the opposite of what I had told Amtrak on the telephone on the telephone when I had ordered the tickets.

My friend and colleague who I was traveling with for that portion of the trip insisted that we get issued new separate tickets as she wanted and needed the option of when and where she was traveling and not dependent on when or where I was traveling as she might decide to stay on the trip longer then me or choose to travel somewhere else.

The ticket agent at Chicago Union Station had refused to reissue a separate ticket and rail pass for my friend even though we are not married of related to each other. She said that if she issued a new separate ticket we could loose the reservation. After that I had gone to the passengers services department while my friend was waiting at the ticked window however the passenger service agent (who was in another area of the station told me I would have to take it up with customer service in Washington DC. As our train the Westbound California Zephyr number 5 was scheduled to leave in 10 minutes we had no choice but to buy the ticket and attempt to get on the train as my friend needed to in California for an appointment in 4 days so the ticket was purchased and we were lucky to get on the train even though the boarding gate we closed however they were holding the train for several other people besides us.

My friend was furious as she needed to be in California on personal business and she didn't want to depend on me as she might need to part company and stay longer.

The ticket agent was very arrogant and refused to cooperate and issue us 2 separate tickets as I had ordered on the phone. As the train was leaving in 15 to 20 minutes from the time we arrived we had no choice but to board the train as my friend was expected in California.

My friend rightfully expected to have a separate ticket issued for her in her name and not be on the same ticket with me as is it I had to cancel my reservation to come back from Callfornia and I had let my ticked expire as they never issued my friend her own ticket like was requested.

We ended up getting separate tickets to return 3 weeks later and paying again which I probably wouldn't have had to do had they reissued our tickets separately in the first place.

Conversely the station agent at Sacramento California went out of her way and encouraged and show us how get a good deal taking a roomette to Glenwood Springs where we stopped over to break up our trip back to Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back