37 replies to this topic

#21 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

How is the bearnaise with the steak/shrimp?  Is it better than the previous shallot jus?  I liked the previous sauce haven't tried the bearnaise on Trak yet.

#22 PacificStarlight

PacificStarlight

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

How is the bearnaise with the steak/shrimp?  Is it better than the previous shallot jus?  I liked the previous sauce haven't tried the bearnaise on Trak yet.

The sauce is great!

Attached Files

Trains Traveled: Cascades, San Joaquin, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder

If you're running on time, there may be a problem.

#23 nti1094

nti1094

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

From the Southwest Chief in early June:

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1500951971.236047.jpg   87.59KB   33 downloads

The sauce and steak were actually very good.

Edited by nti1094, 24 July 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#24 Cardinal

Cardinal

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Train travel, photography, gardening

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Breakfast on the Cardinal July 20.

Attached Files

AMTRAK: Cardinal, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Northeast Regional-Lynchburg, Downeaster, Maple

Leaf,Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Hiawatha, California Zepher

Metropolitan Rapid Rails: Vancouver SkyTrain, Portland MAX Light Rail, Minneapolis METRO Light Rail, Atlanta MARTA Light Rail, WMATA Metrorail, Salt Lake City TRAX

VIA Rail: Canadian, Corridor, Ocean

Numerous excursions

#25 Cardinal

Cardinal

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Breakfast on the California Zephyr July 21

Attached Files

AMTRAK: Cardinal, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Northeast Regional-Lynchburg, Downeaster, Maple

Metropolitan Rapid Rails: Vancouver SkyTrain, Portland MAX Light Rail, Minneapolis METRO Light Rail, Atlanta MARTA Light Rail, WMATA Metrorail, Salt Lake City TRAX

Numerous excursions

#26 Cardinal

Cardinal

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Lunch on the California Zephyr July 21.

Attached Files

Numerous excursions

#27 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

I really like the chips served with the Amburgers. They aren't salty or greasy, and they have a good crunch. Does anyone know what brand they are?

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#28 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

Cardinal breakfast looks surprisingly good.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#29 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

Those look like decent brekkies.  Burger looks ok too.

#30 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

On the EB, both breakfasts were good:  French Toast (a larger serving than I could totally eat) with Bacon the first morning and the eggs/bacon the 2nd morning.  The lunch menu is weak, I think.  But, I had the Amtrak Burger with cheese and it was very good.  Dinner the first night was the Steak and it was OK, really not better than average.  I did like the sauce served on the side and it was a good compliment to the beef.  Second night, I ordered the Sauteed Shrimp and they were good.  The rice served with them was very good.  The mixed vegetables were the same both nights and I thought they were excellent.

A previous poster asked about the kettle chips served.  I don't know the brand that Amtrak uses, but I usually buy kettle chips of various brands at home and I find no difference among the brands.  I agree, what Amtrak serves is good and is like what I find locally.

#31 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

This is the "Seared Shrimp" as served on #14 on 7/14/17.

With rice-orzo pilaf and vegetable medley.

Not bad...had it several times on our recent trip (CS-EB-CZ-CS).

Attached File  20170714_193338.jpg   93.88KB   14 downloads

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#32 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

That veggie "medley" looks like it may be a touch on the nasty side; I'd probably see if I could extra spuds instead or just smother the life out of it with salad dressing.... :blink: :unsure: :P

#33 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

That veggie "medley" looks like it may be a touch on the nasty side. . .

Looks can be deceiving.  Had it 2 or 3 times earlier this year and loved every bite.  But then, I'm not one of the gastronomical elite.  

#34 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

The veggie medley to me is a vast improvement over the tasteless mush of the last several years. I have enjoyed it.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#35 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

Looking forward to trying the New Menus on the Sunset Ltd. and in the PPC on the Starlight on the way to Portland for the Gathering!

My first LD trip in a year on Amtrak!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#36 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

The veggie medley to me is a vast improvement over the tasteless mush of the last several years. I have enjoyed it.

BTW...That is Edamame, not Lima beans if anyone is wondering!

(I like Lima beans too!)

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#37 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

BTW...That is Edamame, not Lima beans if anyone is wondering!
(I like Lima beans too!)

I love edamame! That's part of why I like the new veggie medley.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#38 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

The edamame made the vegetable mix work.  I have had it 5 times this summer.  I saw the chicken pasta come out looking great, running with sauce, then saw it come out as a solid blob of pasta with the chicken sauce poured over (looked terrible, I suggested to my table mate to return it, but they didn't want to make a scene). Shrimp was good as was the chicken breast, even juicy inside, instead of a hockey puck.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users