37 replies to this topic

#1 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

Anyone got recent Amtrak dining car food photos?  Thought this would be a good compendium to have.  Thanks posters in advance.

#2 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

Pictures of food never look appetizing to me. Possibly due to the fact that pictures alone lack smell and other sensory attributes, which to me, are required to make any food appealing.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#3 PaTrainFan

PaTrainFan

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Travel, especially by train, Canada, college sports, baseball and apple pie.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

Pictures of food never look appetizing to me. Possibly due to the fact that pictures alone lack smell and other sensory attributes, which to me, are required to make any food appealing.

Food imaging is indeed a highly specialized photography (art) form for this very reason.

#4 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

From this year...

Lunch on the Crescent.

Dinner on the Southwest Chief.

Breakfast on the Starlight.

Dinner on the PPC Starlight

Attached Files

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#5 Cardinal

Cardinal

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Train travel, photography, gardening

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

Our salad at dinner on the Empire Builder last month.  Did not take any other pictures this trip.

Attached Files

AMTRAK: Cardinal, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Northeast Regional-Lynchburg, Downeaster, Maple

Leaf,Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Hiawatha, California Zepher

Metropolitan Rapid Rails: Vancouver SkyTrain, Portland MAX Light Rail, Minneapolis METRO Light Rail, Atlanta MARTA Light Rail, WMATA Metrorail, Salt Lake City TRAX

VIA Rail: Canadian, Corridor, Ocean

Numerous excursions

#6 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

Any photos of the new menu items?

#7 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

Steak and Shrimp
Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1500343974.743925.jpg   57.97KB   63 downloads

#8 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,860 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

That Steak and Shrimp Plate looks pretty appetizing! Hope to try it on the Eagle/Sunset/Starlight on the way to PDX for the Gathering in Sept!😎
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

That Steak and Shrimp Plate looks pretty appetizing! Hope to try it on the Eagle/Sunset/Starlight on the way to PDX for the Gathering in Sept!

It was good. On outbound trip in Texas Eagle, the chef threw the shrimp on the grill to give them a little grilled edges. It was really good. Return trip they did not but was still good.

#10 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

That Steak and Shrimp Plate looks pretty appetizing! Hope to try it on the Eagle/Sunset/Starlight on the way to PDX for the Gathering in Sept!😎

It would look a lot better to me, if it had a baked, French fried, hashed brown, or just about any kind of potatoes other than mashed... :)
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#11 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Well lucky for you... Baked potato is usually an option!

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#12 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

When I had dinner on the EB last month, they were out of baked potatoes. I could see where there might be a situation near the end of the run where they might run short, but this was at the BEGINNING of the run: dinner out of Seattle on #8. How they could have been out of baked potatoes at that point was beyond my feeble brain's ability to comprehend.:wacko:
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#13 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

When I had dinner on the EB last month, they were out of baked potatoes. I could see where there might be a situation near the end of the run where they might run short, but this was at the BEGINNING of the run: dinner out of Seattle on #8. How they could have been out of baked potatoes at that point was beyond my feeble brain's ability to comprehend.:wacko:

That's why I said "usually" because with Amtrak... Anything is possible! I once heard "oh we don't serve ice cream on the first night, but we will have it tomorrow" from the dining car staff. (Obviously when ice cream was still on the menu.) I've also heard baked potatoes being limited and rationed out to customers who order certain entrees.

#14 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

When I had dinner on the EB last month, they were out of baked potatoes. I could see where there might be a situation near the end of the run where they might run short, but this was at the BEGINNING of the run: dinner out of Seattle on #8. How they could have been out of baked potatoes at that point was beyond my feeble brain's ability to comprehend. :wacko:

Catering issues, where Aramark didn't have them available..?  Certainly wouldn't be the first time Aramark has run out of something, and it certainly won't be the last.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#15 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

Not that I minded. I don't mind the mashed potatoes even though they came from a box.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#16 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

That was my wife's plate. I had the rice which I liked. It seemed to be a different style from past years.

#17 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

I tried to load a photo but for some reason it wouldn't load. What I found on my recent trip is how the same entree will look very different from train to train, so I also expect from cook to cook even on the same route just different crews. On some trains, the chicken breast for example, had the option of mashed, rice, or baked, but on others, only mashed was allowed, the rice was for the Shrimp, and the baked potato for the Steak. The vegetable mix was the same across the board, probably heated in a bag in hot water. I saw people get the sauce without asking, sometimes on the chicken breast, other times in a plastic cup. Then none at all, if not requested (I told a table mate of the sauce, she asked and received, being told by request only because it is usually wasted).

I thought here is that we could post 10 photos of the same entree and see 10 slightly different meals. All would look very appealing, especially compared to normal airplane food.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#18 TraneMan

TraneMan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy the outdoors, camping, hiking, and being with my family and friends.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1500424980.873864.jpg   98.65KB   45 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1500424999.015787.jpg   91.72KB   47 downloads

Amtrak Train travel: Empire Builder = 1677; Silver Meteor = 668; Capital Limited = 780; Hiawatha Service = 172; Cascade = 312; Lincoln Service= 640; Southwest Chief = 2,265;  Total = 21,514

Routes completed: Empire Builder 7 and 8; Capital Limited 29; Southwest Chief 4; Hiawatha. 

First travel was 1990.
(updated 4-2-15)

#19 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

We had this chicken breast which was cooked good, not dried out. We also had the Chicken and Bacon Carbonara, mistake. The wide noddles were a solid mass with the chicken and bacon sauce poured over. That photo doesn't want to load, but here is the photo of the chicken breast.Attached File  First dinner on the Texas Eagle 06282017.jpg   38.16KB   39 downloads

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#20 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

The dessert was a chocolate bundt cake, I suspect? Both that and the steak and shrimp(and I know one other person got a shot of this), look like something I'd try for sure! Thanks to everyone else for posting their pics of the food they got on Amtrak, as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users