Penn Station Redcaps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDobbs

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Redcaps at most of the Amtrak stations that I have used have motorized carts to take passengers with walking problems to and from the train. However, last year I passed through Boston South Station and had to walk to the train following the redcap, who was pushing a cart. In a few weeks, I will be passing through NYC and I'd like to know whether the redcaps there have motorized carts.

Yup. After years of transfers and departures in the crowded, claustrophobic Penn station, I ventured west and was amazed at the wide platforms in Chicago Union Station. I felt like a king riding on the luggage cart. I also have mobility problems. At least at NYP the distances are shorter from track to waiting room. The Redcaps are very good and sometimes are like taxi drivers as they push and shove to clear a path thru crowds. They will at least help you get priority with or without a wheelchair

Most of the east stations are not made to accommodate electric carts like found in Chicago, LA, etc.the west has everything on one level or has ramps for the carts, something that can not happen with NYP, or 30th Street.

That makes sense, the Amtrak level is "downstairs" and you can walk or ride straight out to the platforms. I just booked a trip on the CL yesterday, I'll be hoofing it from the lounge in a few months.

Being a Red Cap at Penn Station, NY takes a lot of skill and experience. As mentioned, you have to contend with large crowds, fast moving commuter's, narrow platform's and escalator's, and not knowing track number's on thru trains until just minutes before arrival. A real challenging position. Unlike Red Caps at single level stations, they can not use electric carts, but rather old-fashioned narrow hand trucks to carry baggage.

It is amazing to me, just how much luggage they can stack on one of those, and then take up or down an escalator to the platform....

Unlike Red Caps at single level stations, they can not use electric carts, but rather old-fashioned narrow hand trucks to carry baggage.

It is amazing to me, just how much luggage they can stack on one of those, and then take up or down an escalator to the platform....
^This.

When using a Red Cap at NYP this last march to get early boarding on the Acela to Boston, I was amazed at how much luggage he got on that tiny cart. I actually insisted I carry my bag, as he had six full-size suitcases and an assortment of smaller bags already on the cart. He expertly swooped in and grabbed my suitcase from me while exiting the ML and stacked on the heap... And then proceeded to navigate the whole mountain down an escalator without missing a step.

He got a large tip.

NYP is particularly challenging because so many of the escalators (like many of the platforms) are very narrow. Also you have the elevator to the mezzanine, and then another elevator to the platform if you are going the elevator route.

Not true, there is a very large waiting area for ticketed passengers. It is cordoned off to allow access for ticketed passengers only (you show your ticket at the entrance desk) to provide for better security, it can be crowded at times, but it is pretty large.

The entrance to the Amtrak waiting area (many seats) is next to Gate 7-E. There is also a handicap/disability waiting area on the other end of the concourse - in the Acela Business Class waiting area. I've only been there when I've used a Red Cap between trains, but I assume you could get in there when starting at NYP.

Back