Senior moments in Seattle...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
[SIZE=12pt]Seattle mini meet up...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Arriving at Seattle station, I took the door marked King street and looked for my King street hostel. After walking up and down half a dozen times, I asked a guy and he pointed me in the right direction. There are two parts to King street, I needed the other part, near to Chinatown. Oh for a working smart phone to guide me! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I was lucky to be able to check in early, so that made up for the kerfuffle finding the joint! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Bottom bunk, room is small but clean and tidy. A former hotel, but far from the high end. I had a nice shower, located in the hallway. Very welcome after my two nights on the train.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
20017891_10155470520404120_1000042958324019310_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I decided to have a walk up to the Pike Place market, which I remembered from my previous visit to Seattle with my son, when he was around age 13. Sadly the street cars that ran along the seafront then no longer run. The market seemed much enlarged, or maybe it was a peak tourist time this visit, very crowded and busy area. Headed back to the hostel for a late afternoon rest. I was quite surprised by the number of “homeless” type of folk on the streets, a slightly different image of the city this visit than last. I remember Portland had lots too, so I guess it is a west coast, or at least “warmer climate” thing. I know I would rather be in a warm place if it were me![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I notice that my feet are very swollen, seems to get worse as I age, and sitting for long periods, like train rides, is the problem.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Had a sleep, and then met my first roommate once I awoke. Martin, young guy from L.A. Age 24, he said it was his first flight, and he had been a bit frightened, and was slightly frightened to be in a hostel, his first time also. I assured him that I was harmless, but then I would say that anyway... Later two Mexican lads arrived late in the evening, and were gone again early next morning. (When I say “gone” I mean they left. But then I would say that...)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Wednesday.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Awoke early again, no surprise, considering I slept most of yesterday evening too, from 6pm onwards! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Good breakfast (included) and some nice tea too! Weather forecast says nice today, rain tomorrow. Two days ‘till we get the UK election results, fingers crossed that Labour can improve their position pre-election... If only they could win! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
19983470_10155470522924120_7518508885773117483_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After an early start from the hostel, I walked along 5th Ave to the monorail station. This monorail was built in 1962, for the “World Fair”, and runs just a short distance to the Space Needle. Cost is $1 for seniors. I enjoyed snapping some interesting architecture, I like the odd angles that get created between buildings too, like man made cliff faces.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I did not go up to the top of the Space Needle, as I had that pleasure on my first visit. I walked downhill and came to a nice waterfront park, with far views across Puget Sound. I noticed a few ferries plying across, and decided to walk along to the dock and check out the options for a ferry trip. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
19983440_10155470547584120_1042573254041044932_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I got the car ferry to Bremerton, cost for a senior foot passenger was $4.10, return. Quite a long journey, took about an hour each way. Not a great deal going on in Bremerton, as far as I could see, there seemed to be an “art” district which was long past its prime. Some of these “created” zones, created not by artists but by local committee, don’t seem to thrive no matter how much public money is thrown at them...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
19984058_10155470540649120_5927729394628583598_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I treated myself to a burrito, the place seemed very popular with the locals. The female server liked my British accent, which was nice. I went for the special of the day, which seemed to have a bit of everything in it, even french fries![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
20023873_10155470535114120_2693289975196882996_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have just become aware that Penny from A.U. is heading back from her Alaskan adventure, and she will pass through Seattle, so I have arranged via facebook to meet up with her at the station. Charlie is due to meet her too, so a nice lunch date if the train is not too late![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thursday.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Election day back home. I have cast my vote by proxy. Fingers crossed. Slept quite well again, shower and then breakfast. Good choice of cereals, bagels, fruit, etc. Met old guy at breakfast who said his Amtrak bus connection was so late yesterday, coming from Vancouver, that he had to overnight at the hostel. I advised him to contact customer services for compensation, as it meant he missed his onward Amtrak train connection too. He was not a regular train user.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Light rain today, I will make a start on reading the book I picked up from the Boston free street library, title, “The Family Fang”. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I went to the station but found the train was running an hour or so late, so I had a stroll around the Pioneer Square area, and snapped a few photos in the light drizzle.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Back to the station, and met with Charlie. Nice chat with him, and then Penny arrived, so we adjourned to a nearby eatery. Interesting time, and a few traveller’s tales and train stories exchanged![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Later I went to the Pioneer Square Klondike Museum, which had an interesting display of photos and old artefacts. It seems that of the thousands that joined that gold rush, only the first on the scene secured the best claims, and it was the merchants who supplied the miners with their needs that were the ones who got rich! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The news from the UK election is pretty good, a great slap in the face for the Conservatives, who have lost their majority! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have the room to myself tonight, so I am able to spread my stuff out and pack my cases better for tomorrow morning’s departure.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](I did try to post more pics, but this website won't allow me to... More can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155470520089120.1073741895.682004119&type=1&l=bdf8325dd4 [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely photos of Seattle! I am glad you got to meet up with Charlie and Penny. I lived in Seattle in the 1970s and 80s, so it's all familiar. I see your ferry to Bremerton was the Hyak. Best wishes for the rest of your trip, and I look forward to more reports.

Back