33 replies to this topic

#21 CoachSlumber

CoachSlumber

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Re: the comments about high rates for short trips. As I recall from making a short trip to transfer hotels for work (Marriott convention to Pere Marquette) I think they are permitted to add a steep surcharge of 5 or 10 bucks to the initial fare for some short trips

#22 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

Re: the comments about high rates for short trips. As I recall from making a short trip to transfer hotels for work (Marriott convention to Pere Marquette) I think they are permitted to add a steep surcharge of 5 or 10 bucks to the initial fare for some short trips

In most major cities in the US any special minimums, flat rate fees, or special surcharge times/areas must be clearly posted somewhere on the cab exterior. If it's not on the exterior rate sticker then they're probably just making it up. Unfortunately cabbies will often use threats of aggression and violence to ensure you pay up even when they're committing obvious fraud.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#23 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

Never tell a taxi driver you're waiting for an Uber or Lyft car. They've been known to get belligerent, to intentionally block Uber/Lift vehicles (and all other traffic) with their taxi cabs, make aggravated threats, and even become violent toward Uber/Lyft drivers and passengers.

What he said. Just say "A friend is coming to get me."

#24 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,754 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

Or "No thanks, I have a ride!"😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#25 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

My 1st experience with Uber was this January in TPA and it was a great experience! (Much better than the taxis I've used.) I plan to use Uber whenever I can. (I haven't used Lyft yet.)

I love Uber, as well. Have been meaning to try Lyft out, but haven't yet. I'm sure I will soon, though. Screw cabs, they too often provide horrible service, their fares aren't as competitive as Uber and Lyft, and though I hate to agree, cabbies have rightfully earned their fate of being in decline!

Edited by dogbert617, 15 July 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#26 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

I used Lyft for my recent rides to and from CUS from my home.

The nice thing about Lyft was that I was able to schedule a pickup 7 days in advance. "Be here at noon on Friday" really worked well. It was a $28 ride from the western 'burbs to CUS. I understand that Uber is going to provide the same functionality.

On the way home, we Lyfted again. This was at 6 PM - outbound traffic from the loop in Chicago was $24 plus a tip (which you can do from the app). That same ride, about a year ago via cab was over $40 - on a Sunday at noon.

But, back on topic, I thought the fare for cabs from Union Passenger Terminal to any of the central business district hotels was a flat fare (I want to say $12 plus tip).

Edited by George K, 16 July 2017 - 07:31 AM.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#27 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

Last year while at New Orleans my uncle and I took cabs to/from our hotel to Union Station. In both instances the flat rate for cabs was plainly posted. I believe it was $12 plus tip and both cabbies were very friendly. I've never used Uber but downloaded the app for use when I am in Boston in September. I'm anxious to see how well it works.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#28 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,754 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

Last year while at New Orleans my uncle and I took cabs to/from our hotel to Union Station. In both instances the flat rate for cabs was plainly posted. I believe it was $12 plus tip and both cabbies were very friendly. I've never used Uber but downloaded the app for use when I am in Boston in September. I'm anxious to see how well it works.

Unless you're a long way away from the Light Rail in Boston, you shouldn't need Taxis or Ride Share in Boston Jeff!

Downtown Boston is very walkable also!

Edited by Bob Dylan, 16 July 2017 - 08:20 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#29 PaulDobbs

PaulDobbs

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

I got ripped off a couple of years ago by a taxi driver in Chicago going from a hotel to Union Station. On my last trip, I used a combination of subway and Lyft in Los Angeles and Lyft in Chicago. I don't plan to ever use a taxi again if Uber, Lyft or public transit are available.

#30 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Unless you're a long way away from the Light Rail in Boston, you shouldn't need Taxis or Ride Share in Boston Jeff!

Downtown Boston is very walkable also!

Jim, the hotel I'm staying at is about 2.6 miles from South Station and about half a mile from North Station. North Station is very walkable but the 2.6 miles with luggage isn't particularly appealing. I don't know about Boston's light rail but remember I live in a town of 2800 and grew up in a town of 500. To me Uber sounds a lot easier than figuring out a light rail system especially as I arrive in Boston on a NE Regional at 10PM. Give this country bumpkin easy every time!!! :lol:
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#31 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Jim, the hotel I'm staying at is about 2.6 miles from South Station and about half a mile from North Station. North Station is very walkable but the 2.6 miles with luggage isn't particularly appealing. I don't know about Boston's light rail but remember I live in a town of 2800 and grew up in a town of 500. To me Uber sounds a lot easier than figuring out a light rail system especially as I arrive in Boston on a NE Regional at 10PM. Give this country bumpkin easy every time!!! :lol:

Maybe it's a question of perspective here.

I love subway maps but I struggle to figure out an app like Uber. I also don't feel comfortable in that sort of situation, being in a car with a driver talking to me with phoney politeness, and feeling under some sort of pressure to stick up a conversation while the driver is actually fishing for a bigger tip when all I really want to do is look out the window and switch off.

I only put up with that when there is genuinely no alternative.

#32 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Since this thread has drifted into a discussion of Uber & Lyft, I've read that the Uber app continues to track you and report your location, even when you aren't using it.

#33 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Since this thread has drifted into a discussion of Uber & Lyft, I've read that the Uber app continues to track you and report your location, even when you aren't using it.

That's what I've read as well, which is one of the reasons I'm looking to start using Lyft when it's available.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#34 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

That's what I've read as well, which is one of the reasons I'm looking to start using Lyft when it's available.

I know one person who uses a phone with a modification that lies about where it is to apps when they are in the background. Only when you are using the app does it get your real location.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users