5 replies to this topic

#1 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

In TripAdvisor a poster asked about the waiting area since the Panorama/Business Lounge is closed for upgrades.  I went over to the Via site to verify, and by golly there is a notice about it up.

Other than improving space for Prestige passengers, which is in the notice, anyone know what they are up to?  I'm also kind of floored by them closing the lounge during the busiest tourist season of the year, when they are running huge, 26 car trains.  If they are going to close it for construction, why wouldn't they do it in the off season when the passenger numbers are much, much less?  That just seems crazy.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#2 Montreal Ltd

Montreal Ltd

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

It was already closed for renovations when I was there in March.

#3 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

Yes.. I see the following noted on the web site:

"Please note that the lounge areas are undergoing renovations at the Vancouver station.

In order to improve the overall lounge area and create a better dedicated Prestige space, the current area is currently not accessible. We do not have other alternative private space in the station. For Prestige passengers that check-in ahead, a taxi voucher (with suggestions for local restaurants, etc.) is being provided for those guests who choose to go off-site.

VIA is thanking our customers for their patience while we improve our station and apologize for any inconvenience"

VIA probably got the budget appropriation to do this work and started immediately (before the money found its way elsewhere!!)

And really.... IMHO no big deal. The old lounge in Vancouver was very small and could never accommodate everyone for those long summer consists. Now hopefully that will be alleviated and include a dedicated space for Prestige Class. Pacific Central is a very attractive station anyway and I never had a problem just sitting in the general waiting area.

“Short-term Pain for Long-term Gain!”

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 14 July 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,762 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

NS VIA Fan Nailed it as usual!

And the NYP Club Acela needs this too!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

I don't argue with the fact they needed to do it, they did need to do it, and for the money they pay Prestige should have their own space.  It just seems they picked a funny time of year for it.  Since Montreal Ltd. said it was closed in March, maybe they planned to have it open by the summer, but didn't meet their timelines.

Anybody have any details?

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#6 FreeskierInVT

FreeskierInVT

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

I was just in Vancouver yesterday and the lounge is indeed still closed. There was a large group of what appeared to be Prestige passengers who arrived right before we boarded, so I'm assuming they all got vouchers to go off-site. My train into Vancouver last week had 31 cars plus 3 locomotives, which is the longest consist they can run and still have enough space to back the train into Edmonton, according to the service managers on board.

Routes taken:

Vermonter (38), Ethan Allen Express (7), Northeast Regional (20), Acela Express (4; 2 BC/2 FC), Downeaster (9; 3 w/ Dome Car), Lake Shore Limited- Boston (1), Hiawatha (2), Lake Shore Limited- New York (1), Maple Leaf (1), Adirondack (3; 1 w/ Dome Car), Keystone (3), Pennsylvanian (1), Springfield Shuttle (6), Autumn Express (Nov. 3, 2013)

VIA Rail Canada: Ocean (R/T Montreal-Halifax)

Total Amtrak/VIA mileage:   19,316

Amtrak mileage in 2016:       2,702

Amtrak mileage in 2015:        362

Amtrak/VIA Mileage in 2014: 7,858

Amtrak Mileage in 2013:        6,154

LIRR: 3,598 total miles - 86 trips totaling 145 trains

Upcoming:

Canada Youth 150 Trip

VIA Corridor: Montreal-Toronto, Toronto-Montreal

Canadian: Toronto-Winnipeg, Winnipeg-Edmonton, Edmonton-Vancouver, Vancouver-Jasper, Jasper-Toronto

Skeena: Jasper-Prince Rupert, Prince Rupert-Jasper

Ocean: Montreal-Moncton, Moncton-Montreal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users