Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Air Canada Near-Miss at SFO

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

I fly my 74 into SFO pretty regularily, almost always at night, and I can assure you it's nothing especially hard or tricky.

I'd go more detail but I'm on layover at HNL (poor me) with just my iPad and it's a pain to do long post, so I'll just second what Saxman said.

Sarah,
Not a good anology. Imagine a car had two drivers and two steering wheels and two dashboards, and one od the drivers had to monitor what the other was doing when they were steering, including specifically the speedomoter. And nit only that, the speedometer needle changed colors and flashed at you when you were even slighhtly off parameters.

#42 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,499 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the additional info. Very helpful for filling in a few gaps in our understanding.

#43 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

Sarah,
Not a good anology. Imagine a car had two drivers and two steering wheels and two dashboards, and one od the drivers had to monitor what the other was doing when they were steering, including specifically the speedomoter. And nit only that, the speedometer needle changed colors and flashed at you when you were even slighhtly off parameters.

Thank you! That does help.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#44 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,996 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

Here's an update from the NTSB via the Mercury News for those who were interested.

Federal aviation investigators released stunning video footage and data Wednesday showing the near-disastrous landing of an Air Canada flight at San Francisco International Airport came as close as 5 feet from striking a Philippine Airlines jet lined up on a taxiway last July.  The National Transportation Safety Board found the crew felt fatigued during the flight, that the first officer was twice rejected in his application for promotion, and that another pilot landing at SFO that night complained about too-bright construction lights that made it difficult to find the proper runway. Aviation experts have said the close call could have led to one of the worst aviation disasters in history with the fully loaded planes carrying upward of 1,000 passengers and crew.

Media Link: https://www.mercuryn...-four-aircraft/

NTSB Docket: https://go.usa.gov/xQ8Mp

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 04 May 2018 - 11:45 AM.

#45 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,445 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

As terrible as this would have been, really it's just an everyday occurrence @ the overcrowded skies around the Major Airports!

I'm a "Retired" Million Mile Flyer, but I can remember many scarey incidents through the years, both as an Airline Passenger and as the Pilot of Small Planes using Major Airports including your own San Antonio International!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

As terrible as this would have been, really it's just an everyday occurrence @ the overcrowded skies around the Major Airports!

I don't think attempted landing on a taxiway that has three planes on it is a common occurrence at all.

• Trogdor, Ryan, AmtrakBlue and 1 other like this

#47 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,445 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

I don't think attempted landing on a taxiway that has three planes on it is a common occurrence at all.
Not an every day occurence, but more common than you might think jis,especially among Private Aircraft!

I know of instances where Airliners landed @ the wrong Airport, and even on Highways ( Houston Bush was involved in this when first opened since it was known as "The Black Hole of Calcuta" when planes landed on I45 several times!( my Uncle, the Retired TWA Captain, can tell some real Hair curling stories!)
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#48 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,349 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

I was on a DL flight in 94 from IAH to SLC, flying at 30K. My flight went DIRECTLY thru another jet contrail! They jet was crossing 90° from us.

It was so close that I could see the heat glowing at the back of the other engines!:o

Edited by the_traveler, 04 May 2018 - 04:49 PM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#49 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

Not an every day occurence, but more common than you might think jis,especially among Private Aircraft!

I know of instances where Airliners landed @ the wrong Airport, and even on Highways ( Houston Bush was involved in this when first opened since it was known as "The Black Hole of Calcuta" when planes landed on I45 several times!( my Uncle, the Retired TWA Captain, can tell some real Hair curling stories!)

I did not say they don't happen. But they are quite uncommon. Probably more people get injured falling off a ladder by a wide margin than two planes come close enough for it to become a reportable incident. I have a good friend who worked for several years at the Newark Airport Tower. Stories, sure, there are many. But reportable incidents according to him are far fewer than hair raising stories. He claims that it is so because the system works most of the time. when a pilot forgets to deploy his landing gear before landing someone else notices and gets him straightened out before anything bad happens, and similar stuff.

#50 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

He claims that it is so because the system works most of the time. when a pilot forgets to deploy his landing gear before landing someone else notices and gets him straightened out before anything bad happens, and similar stuff.
As someone who has about 8,000 flight hours on a consumer grade but very realistic flight simulator, I will say that if you get too low with gear up, the cockpit gives you a multitude of warnings and alerts that are pretty much impossible to miss. On older retractable gear aircraft, the alerts were often pretty ambiguous and often didnt effectively communicate or specify that the gear was still up. Therefore, it was not uncommon for pilots to misunderstand the alerts, fail to address the problem, and crash land with their landing gear up. So now, airliners have clearer and more specific alerts to make it very clear to pilots that the issue is that landing gear, and from that gear up landings have become for the most part a thing of the past.

Edited by cpotisch, 04 May 2018 - 06:08 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#51 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

Notwithstanding all that an Air India 777 almost landed at Newark without deploying its landing gear. The Tower shooed him off on a go around. This according to the guy who was the controller on duty in the tower at the time of the event.

#52 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

Oh I believe that. Air India isn’t exactly known for great piloting
https://www.google.c...how/3165569.cms

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users