Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

If only one train . . .

28 replies to this topic

#21 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:34 AM

I agree I'd rather stay in Glenwood Springs, but we'll be flying in from Upstate NY to catch the Zephyr so we have to spend at least one night in Denver probably since there are not a lot of good options to fly into Glenwood Springs and the train from Denver leaves at 7am.  At that point, I'm not sure it makes sense to get on train in Denver and then get off in Glenwood Springs. Although it does look really nice. Would we be missing out if we missed the scenery between Denver and Glenwood Springs and found a way to fly into Glenwood versus Denver?

The best scenery of the Rockies is IMO between Glenwood Springs and Denver, so I'd not miss that section. It's the part that includes narrow canyons and other nice landscapes without the I-70 in the way (it diverges from the CZ route a little east of Glenwood Springs).

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#22 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

I find the Zephyr between Denver and Emeryville to be the most scenic train journey. Some views can only be seen from a train...

10505360_10152824980779120_7211086716735

1378882_10152824980819120_11766491265762

10702145_10152824981939120_7423503330866

10606535_10152824982259120_5007817604147

These are some of my photos taken from the Zephyr.

Ed.

#23 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

I find the Zephyr between Denver and Emeryville to be the most scenic train journey. Some views can only be seen from a train... These are some of my photos taken from the Zephyr. Ed.

Have the car attendants ever given you a hard time about taking those kinds of pictures?

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#24 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

As I have mentioned before, I am a former UK railway employee, so I know to keep safe and not take any risks with photographing aboard trains. I don't take photo's where others can copy me. The views seen are shown to give an idea of the scenery that can be seen from the Zephyr, nothing more.

Ed

#25 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

As I have mentioned before, I am a former UK railway employee, so I know to keep safe and not take any risks with photographing aboard trains. I don't take photo's where others can copy me. The views seen are shown to give an idea of the scenery that can be seen from the Zephyr, nothing more. Ed

No need to be cryptic or defensive about this. I didn't ask if you were being safe or if you felt other people should follow your lead. I simply asked if you were ever hassled about it, nothing more.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#26 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

Sorry old chap, I read a slight degree of condemnation into your question, as with your question about youth hostels. The answer is no. Happy now?

Ed.

#27 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

Back to the question of if only one LD train.......

Look north and take The Canadian, in Sleeper Plus, or Prestige Class.

There is nothing else in North America like it among regularly operated , year round trains. Ken

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#28 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

I just finished a day in ChI with friends before CHI//EMY then the free Amtrak bus to Fishermans Wharf (found a super deal, otherwise was staying elsewhere) for three night, the free bus to Oakland OKJ then OKJ/LAX then visited by daughter for a couple days. This is the route I would suggest for seeing the most scenery.

#29 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

I haven't been on either the Coast Starlight or California Zephyr before, but I would agree with Penny's assessment.   :)

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users