Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

30% Off Member Discount

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

Both of my parents recently received an offer from Amtrak in the mail offering 30% off a trip before August 31st. They are both AGR members; I am as well but did not receive a discount. Is it because I have travelled on Amtrak recently? Has anyone else received the promotion? Also, can I use one of their codes to book travel for myself, as they do not plan to use them?
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#2 buck1108

buck1108

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

I, too, am a AGR member, yet I haven't received this offer! I wonder if it is in conjunction with some other club or offer? I might take that 'dreamed of, but not realistic due to budget crunch' August trip, if it's a universal offer... ;-)

#3 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:36 PM

I would imagine if you read the fine print this will be Coach only with no upgrades allowed.

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,181 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

Nothing for me either!:(

Many times a targeted offer may have a link in the email. In order to use it (like a discount), you MUST use that link.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

I did receive the 30% offer but mine expires on August 31. I am an AGR member but we had not taken a trip in over a year due to illness and I suspect it might be sent out to members who have not traveled recently?  Just a thought.  It is just for coach but an upgrade to sleeper is allowed if you pay the full sleeper fare. It is also good for a roundtrip fare as long as booking occurs at the same time.

Edited by Railroad Bill, 11 July 2017 - 11:27 PM.

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB  - Empire Service 81,815 Amtrak miles & counting    Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#6 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

It is for coach or non-Acela business class. Appears to be targeted to AGR members with a lack of recent Amtrak travel activity.  It can be used to discount the rail fare portion of a sleeper reservations. Reservation must be made by phone.  The unique discount code for the member must be given.  Round trip must be on the same reservation (PNR).  

#7 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

I was not able to use the 30% off because I had paid for my upcoming trip with points.  The agent said I could apply 15% to my travel companion's business class ticket because she paid with a credit card.  She was not here when I called and they can't do it without her card number, so I'll wait until she is here.  They will have to cancel the original ticket and re-do it.  So if you're doing this with a ticket you already have, make sure there is space on the train you want.  They will cancel and re-issue the ticket.

Edit: He was going to do this on the BC ticket, and said he can't do it on the two open tickets, which were the more expensive ones.

Edited by Everydaymatters, 12 July 2017 - 10:59 AM.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#8 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:58 PM

Does anyone know if a person's code can be used for someone else?
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#9 DoB

DoB

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

I got this as well. Haven't ridden Amtrak since May 2016.

Note that, unlike most coupons, it's valid on a round trip reservation!

#10 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

Does anyone know if a person's code can be used for someone else?

No, it cannot. The ticket can only be issued in the name of the targeted AGR member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users