7 replies to this topic

#1 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:24 AM

Heres the westbound Ocean at Truro, NS yesterday afternoon, July 9/17.

Consist included 5 Coaches and 8 Sleepers plus a Chateau Sleeper for crew space and Dome Observation Tramblant Park bringing up the markers.

There were also 2 lounge/service cars bracketing a dining car, baggage and transition/storage cars for a total of 19 cars led by 3 F40PH-3s

Attached Files

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 10 July 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#2 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:25 AM

The Ocean was sold-out except for a couple of Bedrooms (Cabin for 2)..Its eastbound counterpart that departed Montreal last evening and making its way through the Maritimes today was completely sold-out.

Attached Files

#3 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:26 AM

Heres one of the Ren Lounge/Service cars. They provide the meal prep area for the diner and also include a wheelchair accessible Bedroom..and note the Wi-Fi antenna on the roof.

Attached Files

#4 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:29 AM

The trains this summer have included the extra Budd Chateau Sleeper for crew space. I dont believe any of the sleeping accommodations in the car are being sold to the public as no 'Sections' (lower/upper berths) appear on the booking page.

Attached Files

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

As usual, outstanding pics and info! 😎

Thanks for sharing!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Yes! Thanks so much...always enjoy your posts... :)

A couple of questions....Are all the consists now Ren cars, or is there still an all Budd consist?

And don't they ever run a Skyline car on that train, besides the Park dome?

Just a couple of observation's....those Ren cars look almost like narrow guage cars next to the Budds.

And the tracks around the Truro station...are they on the freight mainline?  The rails look a little light, and the right of way looks very 'rural', if you know what I mean.... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#7 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

A couple of questions....Are all the consists now Ren cars, or is there still an all Budd consist?

Just a couple of observation's....those Ren cars look almost like narrow guage cars next to the Budds.

And the tracks around the Truro station...are they on the freight mainline?  The rails look a little light, and the right of way looks very 'rural', if you know what I mean.... ;)

The Ocean is all Renaissance now except for the Budd Park Car year 'round and the Chateau Sleeper running this summer for crew space. Skylines no longer run on the Ocean except when an all Budd consist is filling in when a Ren consist is out for servicing as one did this spring for a few weeks. The Rens are a bit narrower than the Budds but not narrow-gauge and are the same as most of the equipment you would find running on trains in the UK.

Yes that is the freight main through the Truro station. Yes, weed growth doesn't appear to be well controlled in urban areas but the telephoto lens does distort the view a bit too. Here's a section of track just outside of Truro:

https://goo.gl/maps/3JZJHfptDzG2

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 10 July 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#8 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

The Ocean is all Renaissance now except for the Budd Park Car year 'round and the Chateau Sleeper running this summer for crew space. Skylines no longer run on the Ocean except when an all Budd consist is filling in when a Ren consist is out for servicing as one did this spring for a few weeks. The Rens are a bit narrower than the Budds but not narrow-gauge and are the same as most of the equipment you would find running on trains in the UK.

Yes that is the freight main through the Truro station. Yes, weed growth doesn't appear to be well controlled in urban areas but the telephoto lens does distort the view a bit too. Here's a section of track just outside of Truro:

https://goo.gl/maps/3JZJHfptDzG2

Very familiar with that crossing.  Done a bit of railfanning in the parking lot on the left more than once!  Pretty good bakery about a kilometer down the road to the right (a favorite of Mrs. Blackwolf during her days at NSAC.)

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x6); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users