Train Tours

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Does Amtrak do tours of their various trains? Is this only on "train Day?" Can you arrange a tour?

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,857 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

No they don't. The only "tour" is when you ride and walk to other cars.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

Sleeper passengers are granted access to most of the train.

Passengers don't have access to baggage cars, the locomotives, food prep areas, and other crew areas.

Edited by KmH, 08 July 2017 - 11:43 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

On some trains at some origin stations, you might find a SCA who may allow a guest to board with a Passenger if not close to departure, if the SCA feels the Guest will be off quickly.  When I took my youngest grandchild on her first overnight train trip, the SCA allowed her mom and dad to go with us so she could show them the room and so a photo could be taken.  We arrived before boarding started so there was 15 - 20 minutes before departure.  I made sure the SCA knew the guests were off the train.  Since the Diner was next to our car I showed them the car through the glass.  Looked at the shower on the lower level as well.  Do not think this would work in NYP, WAS, or CHI, but I saw it work in LAX and SEA.  Another place was in Denver due to the long service time if the train is on time or early.

By yourself no way. but with a passenger a definite maybe.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users