Bedding in Amtrak Superliner/Viewliner Bedrooms

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

What do they give you if you're in a Bedroom sleeper?  A white sheet and a blanket? How thick is the blanket? Are they too thin to be useful? Should I bring a travel blanket of my own?

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,857 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

They provide all necessary bedding. (Pillows, sheets, blankets.) I have never been too cold - in fact, sometimes I even don't use the blanket. If you want additional blankets or pillows, ask your SCA and most likely they will provide them. (If you're alone, it's much more likely as each room has enough for both berths.)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

There's a top sheet and bottom sheet on the mattress. As for blankets, I seem to recall there being at least 3 (for two people)...might be incorrect on that. The blankets are light weight but I never needed more. My experience limited to Superliner sleepers.

Edited by FrensicPic, 08 July 2017 - 10:35 AM.

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

6489 more miles booked

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#4 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

Regarding blankets, I have never had problem requesting two blankets if car is cold.  On my recent trip NOL-LAX-PDX-SEA-CHI-NOL, I discovered the recent practice of supplying the blanket in plastic bag is no longer consistent on all trains.  On the Sunset Limited and the Coast Starlight my bed was already made up with the blanket and SCA's said that was normal practice.  Both of these trains are serviced out of Los Angeles so that may be the deciding factor.  Both the Empire Builder and the City of New Orleans provided the blanket in the plastic bag.  Those trains are service from Seattle and New Orleans.  My past experience on California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited and Crescent all presented the blanket in the plastic bag so I was very surprised that the Sunset Limited and Coast Starlight said their standard practice was to have the bed already made up with the blanket.

#5 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,905 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

I find the bedding to be quite comfortable. Even the pillows are adequate for side/stomach sleeping (not too thick).

Here is a picture of my Superliner bedroom made up for nighttime:

Attached File  11156956_10102244059144584_1322194302_n.jpg   62.11KB   38 downloads

It's a little hard to see from this angle, but there's a "fitted" sheet (really just a sheet tucked under the cushions), a top sheet, and a light blanket. I find the blanket to be perfectly sufficient during the cold months, as the heat in the car usually approaches unbearable. I tend to use just the sheet.

In the summer, when the A/C is cranked, the blanket is enough for me, but I like a cool/cold room. I've found that the SCAs are happy to provide a second blanket if people ask for one.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#6 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

Amtrak sleepers are climate controlled so the single blanket and the made up beds have always been sufficient for my comfort. On the other hand my wife sometimes requests another blanket as she is the chilly type. Point is that the SCA can provide extra blankets for your sleeping comfort . 

#7 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

In my experience, the mattress in the upper bunk tends to be a bit on the thin side. With my arthritic hip, I find myself rolling over from side to side to get comfy.

Otherwise, the bedding is fine.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#8 PacificStarlight

PacificStarlight

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Last time I rode in a roomette the AC was broken (at least in our room). Drifted to sleep with just the sheet as the room was sweltering. I found leaving the door open slightly was a good source of airflow, if you can put up with the noise outside.

Trains Traveled: Cascades, San Joaquin, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder

If you're running on time, there may be a problem.

#9 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

With the cars aging, climate control can be questionable.  more likely warmer than desired than too cool.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users