Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Cardinal out of Chicago

26 replies to this topic

#21 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

Being in Chicago, if time allows, definitely eat in the city. like above states there are so many great places to eat for any cuisine and most price levels you desire.

Amen to that! A place that isn't too far east of Union Station in downtown Chicago that I like, is Revival Food Hall. Wish it was open on weekends, but it's only open on weekdays. And all the food stands there are open from morning(forget when it opens) to 7pm, and they have a bar and 1 other place(I think?) that's open an hour or 2 later. More info: https://www.revivalfoodhall.com/

#22 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

There is a high demand for the Cardinal sleeper rooms, the supply is limited, so Amtrak charges a higher fare due to the demand, knowing people will pay for a room.  If the price was unreasonable, people would stop paying, therefore causing the fare to drop to a level would be willing to pay.  Just basic business 101.

This was touched upon by Ryan as well.  I completely understand the supply and demand formula that drives the Cardinal sleeper prices. Its a NYC train like the LSL and sleeping space is limited, that is until such time that baggage dorms become available..  If Amtrak needs to price rooms at X level then so be it, but shouldn't passengers have first class food when paying first class prices? 

#23 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

I totally agree that the food is not what it should be, but unfortunately, the Congress anti-Amtrak folks have been successful in lowering the food and service quality in an unsuccessful attempt to deter people from traveling by Amtrak.

#24 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

Re: Cardinal food service/dining car

Like I've heard from others, it hasn't had a proper dining car for years. The Heritage dining cars have largely been retired at this point, and Amtrak supposedly has ordered new replacement dining cars. Whenever those enter service, I suspect the issue of a limited dining menu on the Cardinal (vs. Capitol Limited, Silver Meteor, etc having a full menu) will be resolved. Like the poster above me said, sadly certain anti-Amtrak Congressmen forced Amtrak to do some cuts to dining and food service on some trains.

Even the Amtrak corridor trains weren't totally immune to this issue, since Gov. Scott Walker forced the Hiawatha trains to no longer have a cafe car on it. Luckily those trains are only a short 11/2 hours(approx.) from Chicago to Milwaukee, so it wasn't as bad of an adjustment as I feared. It was a surprise to me the first time I noticed no cafe car on that train, though. But I've adjusted fine to this since, though.

Edited by dogbert617, 05 August 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#25 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

Like I've heard from others, it hasn't had a proper dining car for years. The Heritage dining cars have largely been retired at this point, and Amtrak supposedly has ordered new replacement dining cars. Whenever those enter service, I suspect the issue of a limited dining menu on the Cardinal (vs. Capitol Limited, Silver Meteor, etc having a full menu) will be resolved. Like the poster above me said, sadly certain anti-Amtrak Congressmen forced Amtrak to do some cuts to dining and food service on some trains.

Even the Amtrak corridor trains weren't totally immune to this issue, since Gov. Scott Walker forced the Hiawatha trains to no longer have a cafe car on it. Luckily those trains are only a short 11/2 hours(approx.) from Chicago to Milwaukee, so it wasn't as bad of an adjustment as I feared. It was a surprise to me the first time I noticed no cafe car on that train, though. But I've adjusted fine to this since, though.

Hiwathas haven't had cafe cars for many years, long preceding Walker's term. Until a few years ago, they had a guy who would walk the train with drinks and snacks, but that was discontinued. It's only a 90-minute run. Food service isn't necessary. 

As far as dining cars returning to the Cardinal and Silver Star or being added to long distance daytime train, well, time will tell. I wouldn't be optimistic. 

#26 Guest_dogbert617_*

Guest_dogbert617_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

[quote name="MikefromCrete" post="719545" timestamp="1501988905"]

[quote name="dogbert617" post="719495" timestamp="1501973080"]

Even the Amtrak corridor trains weren't totally immune to this issue, since Gov. Scott Walker forced the Hiawatha trains to no longer have a cafe car on it. Luckily those trains are only a short 11/2 hours(approx.) from Chicago to Milwaukee, so it wasn't as bad of an adjustment as I feared. It was a surprise to me the first time I noticed no cafe car on that train, though. But I've adjusted fine to this since, though.[/quote]

Hiwathas haven't had cafe cars for many years, long preceding Walker's term. Until a few years ago, they had a guy who would walk the train with drinks and snacks, but that was discontinued. It's only a 90-minute run. Food service isn't necessary. 
As far as dining cars returning to the Cardinal and Silver Star or being added to long distance daytime train, well, time will tell. I wouldn't be optimistic. [/quote]

Yeah, honestly I don't find it a big deal not having a cafe car for just a 90 minute trip. I'd find it annoying OTOH, to not have a cafe car on the longer Midwest corridors(i.e. Illini/Saluki, IL Zephyr/C. Sandburg, MO River Runner, any of the Michigan trains).

As for not having traditional dining service on Cardinal or other long distance trains that lost that service (i.e. Silver Star), I was hoping that since anti-Amtrak Congressman Rep. Mica of Florida(Orlando area) was defeated in 2016, that some long distance lines might have a chance of getting a full service dining car again. Never mind that I know there's no guarantee it'll come back, since there are other anti-Amtrak Congressmen still in office. Not to forget other US Senators, that probably are also anti-Amtrak. :(

#27 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

I'm not sure "supposedly" applies to the dining car order since some are already in service, and 2 were delivered last week and are being prepped for service.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users