Tri-Rail has great procedure if you qualify for discount fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the transit that allows seniors and disabled to such things as a Medicare/Medicaid card to get a discount, I found Tri-Rail to be the best.

For me, a (service connected) disabled veteran, I upload my VA Card and a passport-type photo along with a simple application and they will mail me a use-free Easy Card.

For my wife, a senior, she uploads proof of age and a photo. When they approve it, they email a link where the $2 charge can be paid. They then mail the card.

Couldn't be easier. We'll be in Ft. Lauderdale later this year for a cruise (and a ride on Brightline).

Why is it called Tri Rail? Probably a question that makes me look as stupid as this Florida Boy is!!! :hi:
I believe it is because it travels among three counties in South Florida (Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach).

Seniors currently ride Septa Rails for a $1 in PA. $5 in to and from NJ to Philly. $1.75 Between NJ, DE and Non Center City Philly Stations. $4 to DE from Philly. $4.25 from DE or NJ to Anywhere within the Septa Regional Rail system Via Center City.

Seniors will soon ride Septa Rails for Free as part of the "Key" project. Which IMO, Septa will lose quite a bit of Revenue on. Even more so the week of the Philadelphia Flower Show.

Wow. Being disabled, my fiancee officially qualifies for discounts on nearly every transit system in the country, and never gets any of them, because they have all made it insanely slow and difficult to get their disabled passes. They've almost all basiicaly made it impractical for visitors to ever get them, by having a tedious process involving personally showing up, interviews, and then waiting for weeks. So we pay full fare.

It's startling and nice to see that Tri-Rail has made it feasible for visitors. I'll remember that. Can't get it on any of the systems in NY, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Diego, etc...

Wow. Being disabled, my fiancee officially qualifies for discounts on nearly every transit system in the country, and never gets any of them, because they have all made it insanely slow and difficult to get their disabled passes. They've almost all basiicaly made it impractical for visitors to ever get them, by having a tedious process involving personally showing up, interviews, and then waiting for weeks. So we pay full fare.

It's startling and nice to see that Tri-Rail has made it feasible for visitors. I'll remember that. Can't get it on any of the systems in NY, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Diego, etc...
Well, they are state sponsored transit, I'm not surprised they don't make it easy to offer discounts to visitors. Maybe they should get the states tourist offices involved.

Wow! We got our cards already. Only glitch was that the enclosed letter with my card read the same as my wife's (50% instead of free). A call to Tri-Rail assured me it was just a matter of wrong letter in the envelope. They showed that it was free. Only charge is if you transfer in Miami to local transit. Then there is a transfer fee.

Back