Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

First time rider

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theresa Maples_*

Guest_Theresa Maples_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Can anyone tell me a little bit about riding the Amtrak from Kansas City to Chicago. Is it a tough ride will I have trouble with motion sickness?

#2 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

West of Kansas City (actually, west of Newton) the track can get a bit rough, but between Kansas City and Chicago you should be just fine.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,095 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

It is not a rough ride, and you should not be afflicted with motion sickness any more then driving/riding in a car.

Small annoying point: It is not "the Amtrak", just "Amtrak". After all, you do not go to the airport and fly "the American", "the Delta", "the United" or "the Air France" - do you?:huh:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#4 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

From Kansas City straight through to Chicago you'll ride Amtrak's Train #4, also known as the Southwest Chief.

There are sections of the route where the Southwest Chief is allowed to go up to 90 mph, the fastest of any Amtrak long distance train west of Chicago.

All the other Amtrak long distance train west of Chicago are limited to a maximum speed of 79 mph.

Most people pass the time by watching the scenery go by. The Sightseer Lounge (SSL) car has nice big windows just for that too, and a Café on the lower level for beverages and snacks.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#5 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

I find the ride no rougher than the car ride, yes there will be an occasional bump, a little sway, but unless you are looking for it, it isn't that noticeable my daughters and granddaughters ride with no problems and they do occasionally have a car problem.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#6 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

Beware of delays on the Southwest Chief, depending on when you're traveling... it has been a minimum of 2 hours late out of Kansas City for at least the past week.

However, the delay-causing connection should end by July 22, as stated on Amtrak's website.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#7 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,042 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

I find the ride no rougher than the car ride, yes there will be an occasional bump, a little sway, but unless you are looking for it, it isn't that noticeable my daughters and granddaughters ride with no problems and they do occasionally have a car problem.

The Southwest Chief is the roughest scheduled passenger train I've ridden in a developed country.  I'm not sure what kind of car you have that somehow bumps and shakes as much as the Southwest Chief, but I would strongly suggest you get the wheels and suspension checked ASAP.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#8 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

The Southwest Chief is the roughest scheduled passenger train I've ridden in a developed country.  I'm not sure what kind of car you have that somehow bumps and shakes as much as the Southwest Chief, but I would strongly suggest you get the wheels and suspension checked ASAP.

Are you talking east or west of Kansas City?

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!

#9 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,042 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

Fair point. According to my memory the worst portions are indeed West of KC. Nonetheless they're bad enough that I'm tempted to stay up and record the specific location whenever I pass through again. Then go back and track it down by car in the day time to see what rail that rough looks like in the light of day.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 11 July 2017 - 03:34 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#10 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

Fair point. According to my memory the worst portions are indeed West of KC. Nonetheless they're bad enough that I'm tempted to stay up and record the specific location whenever I pass through again. Then go back and track it down by car in the day time to see what rail that rough looks like in the light of day.

I've only taken the Southwest Chief one time, in March of 2015. I didn't notice any unusually rough track between Chicago and KC, and I went to bed immediately after leaving KC westbound. I slept through the worst of it; I must have been quite tired as I don't remember waking up until Syracuse, KS!

#11 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

The track between KC and Chicago isn't bad. I've been on the SWC many times, and I don't recall any rough track until Kansas (when it's like sleeping on a mechanical bull).

I get motion sickness if I ride in the back seat of a car or read in the car, but I've never experienced motion sickness on the train. Having the huge windows and the ability to walk around helps. I can read, but only for short periods, so I try to save my reading for nighttime or just remember to look up frequently. It's still not nearly as bad as riding in a car.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#12 Guest_Grannyrider_*

Guest_Grannyrider_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

How's the night ride from rvr to Newark nj

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users