Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

BoA Amtrak Rewards MC - chip and pin

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

Thanks, Devil's Advocate, for the earlier discussion of foreign exchange procedures.

The US is estimated to be responsible for roughly one third of the world's credit card fraud. We're talking 5% of the world's population suffering 33% of the world's credit fraud. And it's only been getting worse over time. The tools to fix this problem are well understood and are relatively cheap compared to the cost of doing nothing. But being able to explain away loan shark level usury rates to a proudly ignorant populace is a powerful disincentive to doing anything about it. These days we're actually combining the worst of both worlds by deploying expensive new POS hardware for use with NFC devices and yet leaving most of the new security tools either half implemented or completely disabled.

Rather than percentage of the world's population, it might be more meaningful to compare what percentage of credit card charge volume take place in the US compared to what percentage of the credit card fraud. This suggestion in no way invalidates your point that the tools exist to reduce fraud and those tools should be available to the consumer. I wish I one of my existing no-FTF credit cards had chip-and-PIN available.

Sometimes I wonder what proportion of the GDP of the United States is fraudulent transactions. ;) Certain parts of the society seems to pride itself in figuring out how to stretch the rules beyond the breaking point, and many of those seem to be in positions of power these days.

Well said!

#22 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

In most places overseas that I have used my chip cc's, the seller's screen has automatically asked for my signature or printed out a paper slip for me to sign. Thus, I assume that the credit card chip reader knows that I have no pin. I also inform the card issuer prior to departure my anticipated dates of travel and countries to be visited.

Edited by chakk, 08 July 2017 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users