7 replies to this topic

#1 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

I went to join VIA Préférence (thanks for the hint, zephyr17!) and birthday is a required field. Would someone who knows please tell me why?

Even though the sign-up web page asks for a birthday, it also asks for the member's age group. This makes me think that the programmers are lazy but also that it is some effort to appear to be weeding out underage people. If I recall correctly, AU requires a stated date of birth for such a reason.

Any insight would be appreciated. In particular, if I give VIA a false date of birth, will someone checking my passport accuse me of being someone else with the same name? And would it matter? (I would qualify for the senior fare based on both my passport date of birth and whatever I would give VIA.)

#2 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

I went to join VIA Préférence (thanks for the hint, zephyr17!) and birthday is a required field. Would someone who knows please tell me why?

Even though the sign-up web page asks for a birthday, it also asks for the member's age group. This makes me think that the programmers are lazy but also that it is some effort to appear to be weeding out underage people. If I recall correctly, AU requires a stated date of birth for such a reason.

Any insight would be appreciated. In particular, if I give VIA a false date of birth, will someone checking my passport accuse me of being someone else with the same name? And would it matter? (I would qualify for the senior fare based on both my passport date of birth and whatever I would give VIA.)

I'm suspecting that it is partly due to COPPA regulations, the same reason why many websites don't allow signups for pre-teens.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.
Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail, CTA EL, BART
Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, BTC, METRO9
Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,401 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Im reasonably certain that Via isnt subject to laws passed by us Americans.

I'm suspecting that it is partly due to COPPA regulations

(Added quote for context)

Edited by Ryan, 05 July 2017 - 07:11 AM.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#4 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

I’m reasonably certain that Via isn’t subject to laws passed by us Americans.

(1) There might be similar laws in Canada.
(2) Failing that, there are other reasons they might want the info (such as determining eligibility for discounts).  Also, IIRC they don't establish accounts for anyone under two years old.

Edited by Anderson, 04 July 2017 - 04:59 PM.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,401 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

(1) Perhaps, but that’s not what I was addressing.
(2) A perfectly valid reason for wanting the info, but doesn’t answer the initial question as to why they ask for both date of birth and age group.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#6 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

(2) I would not expect a declaration on a web page to establish eligibility for a discount. If such a declaration is acceptable, why not just accept it when the ticket is ordered (either on a web page or by phone)? If there is some reason related to eligibility, the birth year would be sufficient in most cases.

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

Maybe they just want to be able to send a Birthday e-Card ;)

#8 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:48 AM

Actually I believe it has a lot to do with market research. It's a frequent traveler program which to the consumer provides great reasons to travel via discounts. But to the company it provides invaluable information. About the demographic. I remember when I took a marketing class in high school we put the grade level as a question on the surveys we passed out in order to see what the actual base was.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users