The Southwest Chief #3 arrived into Los Angeles on Sunday, July 2 with 2 private cars on the back: California Zephyr "Silver Rapids" #800481 and California Zephyr "Silver Solarium" #800333, a dome car. I took a ton of pictures; here are some of them. Private cars might be considered normal here, but I rarely see them, so they're special to me.
The train arrived 4 hours 54 minutes late, at 1:09pm.
1. Amtrak P42DC #144 leading the train
2. Amtrak P42DC #138 behind #144
3. Side & Dome of the Silver Solarium (dome, dining area, lounge with back windows, and some sleeper compartments)
4. Side of the Silver Rapids (mainly sleeper compartments)
5. "CB&Q" imprint near door of the Silver Solarium
6. Back view of the Silver Solarium
7. California Zephyr neon emblem on back of the Silver Solarium
8. "California Zephyr" & "Watch your step" tags on the Silver Solarium stairs
9. Stepping stool with "Silver Solarium" imprint on it
Edited by maxbuskirk, 04 July 2017 - 01:58 AM.
I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), Coast Starlight #11 (SLO-LAX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have observed, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (lucky), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), Empire Builder #28 at PDX, and Sunset Limited #2/Texas Eagle #422 at LAX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).