Anyone taking Amtrak on the 4th of July?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:59 AM

Just asking? Does Amtrak do something special on that day? Are there special policies in place?

#2 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

Just asking? Does Amtrak do something special on that day? Are there special policies in place?

No and no....

#3 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Been on Amtrak many, many times of July 4th. And will again tomorrow. Never seen anything special because of it.

#4 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,887 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Traveled on Amtrak during Thanksgiving and Xmas and New Years but never saw anything particularly special on those days either.  Several years ago they used to have holiday themed meals sometimes but I don't think they're doing that anymore.  I suppose working over a holiday may sap much of the potential for jubilation.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,741 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Also since the nickel and dime cuts, and the downgrading of the meals in the Diners, anything extra would have to be paid for out of the OBS pockets!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Think of a train that serves a major city around 10pm local time and you can see the fireworks display.

The eastbound LSL leaves CHI at 9:30pm, maybe you can see the Chicago fireworks.

How about the northbound CS into the Bay Area around 10pm (Not sure if you can see the Golden Gate Bridge from the train)?

Bob Dylan, are there any big fireworks displays in San Antonio for the 4th? If so, you might see it on the way into SAS from the southbound TE.

Any others?

Edited by Philly Amtrak Fan, 03 July 2017 - 06:08 PM.

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#7 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,905 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

I took the Wolverine to Chicago and back a few years ago. The train was practically empty in both directions, which was pretty nice.

Once it got close to dusk, I was able to watch some fireworks displays. Unfortunately, sunset coincided with my arrival at my home station. I imagine I would have seen many more fireworks shows had I stayed on the train past dark.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#8 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

That is the train we will be on tomorrow night!

#9 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:22 AM

The Empire Builder is scheduled to arrive in St.Paul at 10:03 pm, and depart at 10:20 pm.  

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#10 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:58 AM

The Empire Builder is scheduled to arrive in St.Paul at 10:03 pm, and depart at 10:20 pm.  

And I'm a Saint Paul native,  the fireworks are at 22:00 @ CHS Field - 3 blocks from the Amtrak station, I've no clue how visible the pyrotechnics will be from SPUD. 

The Empire Builder usually :) arrives 10-15 minutes early at MSP.

Edited by NW cannonball, 04 July 2017 - 06:00 AM.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

Was on the CZ (3), the only thing special was we were on time the entire trip. We did get to view many different profession displays at many suburbs around Provo about 9:30P. That was real nice.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users