Short trip on the Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George K

Conductor
Later this month, I'm taking a short trip on the LSL from Waterloo, IN to Chicago. Catching it at 7:33 AM, assuming it's (koff, koff) running on time. I have an upgrade coupon to business class which I'll call about 12 hours before departure.

So, my question is this: Is business class on the LSL the same as it was when I rode it from BOS to CHI a couple of years ago? Is the car the business class/cafe car from the Boston segment?

Is it worth upgrading from coach (even though the coupon is free - should I save it for another trip?)?

If you're in an Amfleet II I think that's better than the biz class so I would save the upgrade.
Really? I've only done one single level long-distance trip (everything else has been Superliner sleepers). I rode 449 BOS-ALB in business class, where I connected to 49 in a bedroom. I thought the biz class was nice...enough.

(exposing my ignorance here)

Why is an Amfleet II better?

Amfleet II has much more legroom (the seat pitch is more) since it is primarily a long distance coach. Amfleet I coaches are primary short distance coaches. I think (but am not certain) that AM II has 60 seats per coach, while AM I has 72 sears per coach.

The seat pitch in the split BC/Café is more like an AM II.

On the LSL BC is a split car 2+1 seating, the A-2 coaches are 2+2. B/C is sort of private.
That's what I remember from my trip in 2015 on the BOS - ALB section (track work in ALB prevented me from getting a sleeper at that time), and we transferred to a sleeper in ALB. I was wondering if it was the same car. Apparently, it is!

Yeah, worth it for me.

When they started joining/splitting at Albany again, they kept the split car that was running back and forth to Boston. It serves as the cafe car as well. So B/C is bookable Boston to Chicago, not to NYP.

Another item of Amfleets. AM-1s have 2 vestibules and AM-2s just one. So even if seat pitch was the same you could get 4 more seats on an AM-2. So pitch is much less on a AM-1 with its shorter available space in the seat section.

Can I ask another stupid question?

Living in Chicago, I've only traveled Amtrak end-to-end. PDX, NOL, EMY, BOS, WAS....

So, the stop at WTI (Waterloo, Indiana) is rather, erm, lonely, and, of course, unstaffed:

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 4.24.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 4.24.51 PM.png

What's the boarding procedure? Just get on at any available open door? If I've upgraded to BC, does that change anything?

My wife and I rode BC from CHI to Erie PA May 19-20. The seats were more comfortable than coach seats. I even managed to use my CPAP. Since the cafe was closed when

we left Chicago, there was no foot traffic coming through the car until we were past Cleveland in the morning.

We took BC back from ERI to CHI on May 31. It was one of the better nights sleep that I have had riding in a coach type seat. It is nice to wake in the morning to

have coffee within a few steps in the cafe.

Can I ask another stupid question?

Living in Chicago, I've only traveled Amtrak end-to-end. PDX, NOL, EMY, BOS, WAS....

So, the stop at WTI (Waterloo, Indiana) is rather, erm, lonely, and, of course, unstaffed:

What's the boarding procedure? Just get on at any available open door? If I've upgraded to BC, does that change anything?
Track the progress of the train using Amtrak Status Maps. When it's close, be sure that you're on the platform with your luggage where the train crew can see you. If you see a car marked "Business Class", head there. Otherwise, head to the nearest open door with a crewmember, tell him that you are in business class, and follow his directions. If you hear the locomotive give one whistle toot and/or the conductor calls, "All Aboard", run for the nearest open train door and sort everything out later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, Amtrak Status Maps is a Godsend, and I fully intend to take advantage of that!

Basically, I'll run for any open door and figure it out after that!

On the LSL, wouldn't it be at the back of the Boston section which would move it more towards the middle?
Since the NY section is larger, being in the back of the Boston section would still put it in the front half of the train.

I believe BC is much more superior - you get a single chair to your self at times, it reclines more, and a free drink, early boarding, and access to the lounge.

Not sure why someone would say coach is better.

Yeesh.

Looking at the OTP of the Late Shore Limited...I'm depressed that there isn't even a restaurant within walking distance of the "station" where I can get breakfast.

Back