A Little Too Much Foam?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen these steam train 'paparazzi' for years chase trains like madmen on the highways and backroads in attempts to get those 'money shots'....

When my former club used to run those trips, the Colorado and Wyoming highway patrols were aware of our schedule, and made sure that those caravans were 'under control'.... ;)

I've seen it happen several times from the train. I've never understood why people take such great risks to get the photo. Most of the trips I work are on NS where we are limited to 40. So you don't even have to speed to keep up.

Of course the same people can be found hanging from safety harnesses in trees too.

Surprised they haven't taken to using drones...or perhaps they have...

Blair resident Allan Love Jr., brother of Matthew Love, confirmed at the scene that his brother is a "railfan" — a train enthusiast — who was part of a caravan of several vehicles "chasing" the UP train traveling from Omaha to North Platte.
Actively chasing trains on busy public roads is both dangerous and damaging to the hobby. I've seen far too many videos where it's clear the driver's attention is on anything but the road. Often the chasers will drive too fast or too slow (often both) and then criticize other drivers who aren't part of the mindless frenzy and in reality have done nothing wrong. If you want to chase trains then borrow a friend or family member to drive you. They can focus on the road while you focus on the train. Or use a drone or settle for a stationary shot. No need to risk the lives of others for a simple hobby.

Oh they have. One time a property owner along the route shot one down. The foamer then started a GoFund me to buy a new drone and camera.
I never thought I'd feel sympathy for a drone operator but there you go. Curious to see what this loose canon ends up aiming for next time. A tire? A window? A flesh wound? A kill shot? There's really no telling how far this mentally challenged "property owner" might go next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blair resident Allan Love Jr., brother of Matthew Love, confirmed at the scene that his brother is a "railfan" — a train enthusiast — who was part of a caravan of several vehicles "chasing" the UP train traveling from Omaha to North Platte.
Actively chasing trains on busy public roads is both dangerous and damaging to the hobby. I've seen far too many videos where it's clear the driver's attention is on anything but the road. Often the chasers will drive too fast or too slow (often both) and then criticize other drivers who aren't part of the mindless frenzy and in reality have done nothing wrong. If you want to chase trains then borrow a friend or family member to drive you. They can focus on the road while you focus on the train. Or use a drone or settle for a stationary shot. No need to risk the lives of others for a simple hobby.

Oh they have. One time a property owner along the route shot one down. The foamer then started a GoFund me to buy a new drone and camera.
I never thought I'd feel sympathy for a drone operator but there you go. Curious to see what this loose canon ends up aiming for next time. A tire? A window? A flesh wound? A kill shot? There's really no telling how far this mentally challenged "property owner" might go next time.
it's trespassing, you have the right to shoot someone who is trespassing on your property. Simple as that, hell I got a friend who is teaching me to shoot drones when I come out to his place, they're trespassing when they get that low to the ground, a plane is different because it's so far up, but a drone at tree level is tresspassing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back