• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:16 PM

3 transported to hospitals after 'railfan' crash

http://www.enterpris...223c70de94.html

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#2 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

"Stupid is as stupid does." - Mrs. Gump

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

I've seen these steam train 'paparazzi' for years chase trains like madmen on the highways and backroads in attempts to get those 'money shots'....

When my former club used to run those trips, the Colorado and Wyoming highway patrols were aware of our schedule, and made sure that those caravans were 'under control'.... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#4 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:05 AM

I've seen it happen several times from the train. I've never understood why people take such great risks to get the photo. Most of the trips I work are on NS where we are limited to 40. So you don't even have to speed to keep up.

Of course the same people can be found hanging from safety harnesses in trees too.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:46 AM

Surprised they haven't taken to using drones...or perhaps they have...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

Trainorders and other buff sites are full of videos and pics taken from drones,especially on the Coast Starlight Route.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 03 July 2017 - 09:30 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Trainorders and other buff sites are full of videos and pics taken from drones,especially on the Coast Starlight Route.

There was this great drone footage of the SP 4449 excursion last week (Facebook post)...

https://www.facebook...112?pnref=story

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#8 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Oh they have. One time a property owner along the route shot one down. The foamer then started a GoFund me to buy a new drone and camera.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#9 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,939 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Blair resident Allan Love Jr., brother of Matthew Love, confirmed at the scene that his brother is a "railfan" — a train enthusiast — who was part of a caravan of several vehicles "chasing" the UP train traveling from Omaha to North Platte.

Actively chasing trains on busy public roads is both dangerous and damaging to the hobby. I've seen far too many videos where it's clear the driver's attention is on anything but the road. Often the chasers will drive too fast or too slow (often both) and then criticize other drivers who aren't part of the mindless frenzy and in reality have done nothing wrong. If you want to chase trains then borrow a friend or family member to drive you. They can focus on the road while you focus on the train. Or use a drone or settle for a stationary shot. No need to risk the lives of others for a simple hobby.

Oh they have. One time a property owner along the route shot one down. The foamer then started a GoFund me to buy a new drone and camera.

I never thought I'd feel sympathy for a drone operator but there you go. Curious to see what this loose canon ends up aiming for next time. A tire? A window? A flesh wound? A kill shot? There's really no telling how far this mentally challenged "property owner" might go next time.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 03 July 2017 - 01:59 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#10 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

Blair resident Allan Love Jr., brother of Matthew Love, confirmed at the scene that his brother is a "railfan" — a train enthusiast — who was part of a caravan of several vehicles "chasing" the UP train traveling from Omaha to North Platte.

Actively chasing trains on busy public roads is both dangerous and damaging to the hobby. I've seen far too many videos where it's clear the driver's attention is on anything but the road. Often the chasers will drive too fast or too slow (often both) and then criticize other drivers who aren't part of the mindless frenzy and in reality have done nothing wrong. If you want to chase trains then borrow a friend or family member to drive you. They can focus on the road while you focus on the train. Or use a drone or settle for a stationary shot. No need to risk the lives of others for a simple hobby.

I never thought I'd feel sympathy for a drone operator but there you go. Curious to see what this loose canon ends up aiming for next time. A tire? A window? A flesh wound? A kill shot? There's really no telling how far this mentally challenged "property owner" might go next time.

it's trespassing, you have the right to shoot someone who is trespassing on your property. Simple as that, hell I got a friend who is teaching me to shoot drones when I come out to his place, they're trespassing when they get that low to the ground, a plane is different because it's so far up, but a drone at tree level is tresspassing

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,396 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:29 PM

You should educate yourself on the laws regarding the use of deadly force before you find yourself in jail for the rest of your life.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#12 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

You should educate yourself on the laws regarding the use of deadly force before you find yourself in jail for the rest of your life.

True this!😉

Ignorance of the Law is No Defense!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users