Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

RailCamp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

So I just finished RailCamp, and it was great. We learned all about CTEC, CNOC, toured the Wilmington shops, rode in the geometry car, the theatre car, and toured a P42 cab. We also got an Acela car all to ourselves. Theres a facebook page I set up for the camp, (RailCamp2017). (Third Rail I got your hi from the Acela crew). Then we went to strasburg, toured the museum, ran the 15" live steamer, cab rides in 90, and rode a revenue freight with a passenger car on the back. I also got a little dirty.

Attached Files

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#2 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Also if you have any questions please ask, I didn't include everything in the description. Moderators, if this belongs in the trip report page, please put it there. My phone is not letting me edit posts as well.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,142 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

Good stuff,thanks for sharing!

And you didn't even have to hire out to find out what life on the Railroad is like!😎
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

Glad you had such an excellent RailCamp! Thanks for telling us about it! :)

#5 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

Can you explain why it's called a RailCamp to a non American please

#6 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

Can you explain why it's called a RailCamp to a non American please

A summer camp all about railroading.  

#7 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Summer camps are not a UK thing in the main, so in effect a little like a Rail themed Scout camp? 

#8 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Summer camps are not a UK thing in the main, so in effect a little like a Rail themed Scout camp? 

you could say that. Summer camps are usually camps designed to keep kids busy during the summer when they're out of school.

#9 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

Yes I knew that the US appears to have many summer camps for school aged children, but not camps that were organised around a particular interest. And although there are camps here I don't think it anywhere close to the amount that you have in the US. Most children stay home either with parents or with a responsible? adult but usually at home if not on vacation.

A continental European thing is when the mother or father don't both work fulltime then whole families go off to a vacation place often by the sea. The husband or wife will take the whole family and it's stuff, set the family up for the entire summer school vacation and return to work a few days later. Sometime in the summer vacation the one working will also take some vacation time to be with their family but often it's a 6 -8 week vacation for one parent and the kids, but again not themed.

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm just a person curious about all things in life.

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,142 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

Jaime: Lots of people in the US who can afford it (just like in Europe) especially where the Summers are Hot or Unpleasant, either Own or Rent Cabins,Condos or Houses for the Summer.

The Wife and the Kids,and often extended Family Members, stay for a long period of time while the Husband commutes on Weekends and Holidays, usually via train in the case of the NE.

This is especially popular in places with a Beach,a Lake,a Forest or Mountains.

As for Camps there are literally dozens of Camps of all kinds for kids incling Scout,Music,Sports,Cooking,Cheerleading,Dance,Computers,Ranch ( Horse Ranches are Big in some areas!) etc.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 02 July 2017 - 09:11 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users