Houston Station parking?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gord_*

Guest_Gord_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Has anyone had experience parking at Houston station? Doing a seven-day trip to New Orleans and need to find secure parking at the station or reasonably close by.    Thanks.

#2 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:00 PM

Long term parking at the station is not secure...if you can even get it; there are only ten spaces available and you need to get a permit slip from the ticket counter if you want to try it. However, I would not recommend leaving your car overnight while the station is unattended. If you can't get a friend to drop you off, I suggest calling some of the parking garages downtown and asking if they might cut you a deal for long-term parking with no in-and-out and then taking a taxicab to and from the station itself.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,762 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

Second ehbowens post!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 Guest_Gord_*

Guest_Gord_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

Has anyone had experience parking at Houston station? Doing a seven-day trip to New Orleans and need to find secure parking at the station or reasonably close by.    Thanks.

As a follow-up, we ended up leaving the car at Houston Station for the week as I wasn't able to see the replies until after we boarded the Sunset. Thankfully, the car was fine although we worried a bit while we were away. It was a great trip with nice OBS on both ways including a sleeping car attendant making her first trip.

#5 Guest_Gord_*

Guest_Gord_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

As a follow-up, we ended up leaving the car at Houston Station for the week as I wasn't able to see the replies until after we boarded the Sunset. Thankfully, the car was fine although we worried a bit while we were away. It was a great trip with nice OBS on both ways including a sleeping car attendant making her first trip.

#6 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

Very glad that it worked out for you.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#7 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

Another thought is to ask the Houston agent if they know a garage or recommend one that is safe.  

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users