Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Houston Station parking?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gord_*

Guest_Gord_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Has anyone had experience parking at Houston station? Doing a seven-day trip to New Orleans and need to find secure parking at the station or reasonably close by.    Thanks.

#2 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:00 PM

Long term parking at the station is not secure...if you can even get it; there are only ten spaces available and you need to get a permit slip from the ticket counter if you want to try it. However, I would not recommend leaving your car overnight while the station is unattended. If you can't get a friend to drop you off, I suggest calling some of the parking garages downtown and asking if they might cut you a deal for long-term parking with no in-and-out and then taking a taxicab to and from the station itself.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,024 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

Second ehbowens post!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 Guest_Gord_*

Guest_Gord_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

Has anyone had experience parking at Houston station? Doing a seven-day trip to New Orleans and need to find secure parking at the station or reasonably close by.    Thanks.

As a follow-up, we ended up leaving the car at Houston Station for the week as I wasn't able to see the replies until after we boarded the Sunset. Thankfully, the car was fine although we worried a bit while we were away. It was a great trip with nice OBS on both ways including a sleeping car attendant making her first trip.

#5 Guest_Gord_*

Guest_Gord_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

As a follow-up, we ended up leaving the car at Houston Station for the week as I wasn't able to see the replies until after we boarded the Sunset. Thankfully, the car was fine although we worried a bit while we were away. It was a great trip with nice OBS on both ways including a sleeping car attendant making her first trip.

#6 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

Very glad that it worked out for you.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#7 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

Another thought is to ask the Houston agent if they know a garage or recommend one that is safe.  

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users