Good place to stay by King street station Seattle ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanavc

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I know this was discussed before but I can't find it. We were thinking about taking the kids to Seattle , flying in but taking CS and CZ back to Chicago. Any good but not too expensive places to stay?

Thanks in advance for suggestions :)

The last 2 times I was in Seattle, I stayed at the Arctic Club Doubletree Hotel. It is an historic hotel and very nice, however, it is not inexpensive. Fortunately, I had Hilton points that I used for my stays. The hotel is close enough (for me) to walk to and from the station.

Hotels in downtown Seattle tend to be Pricey, especially when the weather is nice (Summer/Early Fall) and/or Events/Sports are scheculed.

There is a nice Courtyard by Marriott close to King St. Station. I've stayed in, but it can be pricey depending on when you stay.

The best deals for Seattle tend to be out by the Sea-Tac Airport which is easy to reach on the Light Rail that runs next to King St. Station.

Google up info on one of the travel sites ( I like Kayak and trivago but any will do)

You'll love Seattle. Thanks for considering a visit to our city. As frequently mentioned, the concept of a decent, inexpensive hotel in downtown Seattle is a near oxymoron. That said, you might consider the Moore, centrally located near the Pike Place Market and a short walk from the Westlake light rail tunnel station (Link, with stations near King Street Station and Sea-Tac airport). Read the reviews and see if it might be for you.

You'll love Seattle. Thanks for considering a visit to our city. As frequently mentioned, the concept of a decent, inexpensive hotel in downtown Seattle is a near oxymoron. That said, you might consider the Moore, centrally located near the Pike Place Market and a short walk from the Westlake light rail tunnel station (Link, with stations near King Street Station and Sea-Tac airport). Read the reviews and see if it might be for you.
I always stay at the Moore while I'm in Seattle. Its location for me can't be beat nor can the price.

I've gotten some decent rates over the years at the Warwick in Belltown - it is the other side of downtown from King Street Station, but only an $8-10 cab fare away.

Can people who are suggesting hotels consider including some general ballpark pricing as well? I know Seattle is generally pretty expensive and that prices change over time and that we all have different ideas of what makes for a good value, but it would still be nice to know if a given hotel starts at $700/wk vs. $2,100/wk.

Can people who are suggesting hotels consider including some general ballpark pricing as well? I know Seattle is generally pretty expensive and that prices change over time and that we all have different ideas of what makes for a good value, but it would still be nice to know if a given hotel starts at $700/wk vs. $2,100/wk.
Good point. I returned last week from a 4 night stay at the Moore and it was $575 for 4 nights. The base price was $122/night plus the $87 in taxes, fees, and other assorted gouges. :lol: You can get connecting rooms for $165/night plus tax. And if you want to go European, meaning a room with no bathroom but access to a shared bathroom with many other guests, it's $99/night plus tax. Very inexpensive if you are willing to do without some amenities, one of which is air conditioning.

I recommend the use of Trip Advisor to search for hotels. Its map feature shows their locations, and clicking on each will lead to (for Seattle) thousands upon thousands of reviews of hotels near the station as well as ways to find the rates for your days of interest, available discounts (AAA, etc.), a rating for each compared to all the other hotels, lists of amenities, pictures, etc. .

I also stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square. It is older but I was very comfortable and I really enjoyed walking around the historic areas. There's a great Mystery Book Store just up a couple of blocks from the hotel - and I do mean up - didn't know Seattle was on a hill till I got there :) Hope to go back some day.

That stinks to hear about some of the prices, for Seattle area motels and hotels mentioned above. What ones tend to be less pricey, besides some of them near Sea-Tac Airport, Warwick, and Best Western Pioneer Square? I was thinking one of these days, I'd do a trip via Amtrak to Seattle. Was thinking about incorporating a Seattle trip, into a possible Southwest Chief(to LA)/Coast Starlight(to Seattle)/Empire Builder(back to Chicago) USA Rail Pass trip.

Don't know if you are renting a car, Bainbridge Island is an option,just a short ferry ride but a car is helpful there. Also may consider Bremerton, another ferry ride 1 hr each way. Hampton hotel is close to the ferry bldg also the Navy Yard Musium along with Destroyer USS Turner Joy both worth visiting are next to the Ferry bldg. You may check the Washington State Ferry schedules to see if any fit into your time table. The Seattle Ferry bldg is walking distance to many of Seattle's attraction's.

A cheap Hotel close to King Station is the Panama, pretty rustic.

Several years ago we stayed at the Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square. Convenient to King Street Station. Breakfast provided. Used it before/after an Alaska cruise - we used the Coast Starlight to/from Los Angeles. Will be staying there again on an upcoming trip.

There is also the Hostel International ( old AmericanHotel )in the International District across the tracks close to Union Station and King Street Station.

It's nothing fancy, but Clean,Safe and has Private Rooms along with Shared Dorms for a very reasonable price which includes Breakfast and use of the Kitchen. Very helpful and friendly staff also. Google it up!

There is a homewood suites about $5 cab ride away that I have stayed at a few times for less than $150 a night. Like any major city the hotel rates change from night to night depending on demand. Im sure that same homewood goes for $300 a night sometimes (not saying it's worth that.)

I have usually stayed at the Mediterranean Inn in Queen Anne (maybe $160 for clean quiet 2-queen room) near Seattle Center with the Space Needle and all the nearby museums and performance venues, and cheap good food within a few blocks.

If you are under 50 (I'm 70) and the kids are over 5 or so, you can walk the whole couple miles (not with luggage, take the frequent buses) from King street station, or walk to the Space Needle and take the monorail to Westlake transit center (light rail, buses, shopping and food nearby).

All depends where you want to go in Seattle, I like Queen Anne for being less "central" but with good transit options -- yes and nearer my friends and family. YMMV.

I second the Mediterranean Inn based upon an April 2014 visit with my father; however, I'm not enamored of public transit when arriving off a late Coast Starlight with luggage and an 81 year old man in tow. We took a cab; less than ten bucks each way. We still saved significant money over staying in one of the nice hotels near King Street.

Earlier this year I stayed at the Loyal Hotel near the Space Needle. It was only a 5" Uber ride from Union Station. Older but completely redone and inexpensive. I will stay there again.

I stayed at the HI hostel in Seattle a few weeks back, and found it quite acceptable. Price was around $40 for a bed in a 4 bed dorm, and included a free breakfast and free wifi. Shared bathroom facilities in the hall.

Could be fun for a mini adventure with youngsters.

Ed.

I stayed at the HI hostel in Seattle a few weeks back, and found it quite acceptable. Price was around $40 for a bed in a 4 bed dorm, and included a free breakfast and free wifi. Shared bathroom facilities in the hall.Could be fun for a mini adventure with youngsters. Ed.
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the purpose of a hostel? Is it a place for young people? Is it a place for old people? Is it a place for anyone who isn't middle aged? Is it a place for hippies and vagabonds? Is it step up from couch surfing but a step down from bed and breakfast? What is the motivation for someone to buy and run a hostel? I think of myself as an intelligent person but I must have been home sick on the day they explained hostels in school.

For me, the allure is that it's typically a decent place to stay that's in a good location that, especially when I was a solo traveler, was much cheaper than the alternatives. There's also the side benefit of meeting other travelers in the common area (since there's not a lot of area to respite in the individual rooms, most people will lounge in the common areas.) It's certainly not for everyone, and traveling with my wife it's usually not that much cheaper than getting a hotel room, but as a solo traveler who's okay with not having much privacy it's certainly more appealing than a sketchy AirBnB or hotel further out at twice the price.

I stayed at the HI hostel in Seattle a few weeks back, and found it quite acceptable. Price was around $40 for a bed in a 4 bed dorm, and included a free breakfast and free wifi. Shared bathroom facilities in the hall.Could be fun for a mini adventure with youngsters. Ed.
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the purpose of a hostel? Is it a place for young people? Is it a place for old people? Is it a place for anyone who isn't middle aged? Is it a place for hippies and vagabonds? Is it step up from couch surfing but a step down from bed and breakfast? What is the motivation for someone to buy and run a hostel? I think of myself as an intelligent person but I must have been home sick on the day they explained hostels in school.
A hostel is a cheap overnight place for people who don't want to pay much and don't mind a decreased level of privacy and service. It's not my thing, but I know plenty of people who don't mind it. I'm not sure why an intelligent guy like you couldn't deduce that on your own, though.

A hostel is a cheap overnight place for people who don't want to pay much and don't mind a decreased level of privacy and service. It's not my thing, but I know plenty of people who don't mind it. I'm not sure why an intelligent guy like you couldn't deduce that on your own, though.
Are you supposed to bring sheets and towels and pillows with you? Should you avoid hostels if you snore or have a cold? Is some sort of staff member available during the night? Do people in hostels sleep in the buff? What's the etiquette for dealing with noisy guests? Hotels are as simple to understand as elementary mathematics while hostel protocol seems to ebb and flow like a partial differential equation.

Back