Rental cars at PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSlumber

Lead Service Attendant
I'm sure this has been addressed before, so sorry in advance, but it seems like the site search is disabled, so I can't locate it. Wondering what my best option is for renting a car to return before boarding at PDX train station. I am flying in and training out, so I figure I will come in from airport to get rental car in the city so I can return it by the station and avoid all the airport surcharges. Sound like my best plan?

I don't know what the best way to avoid surcharges is, but there's an Enterprise office downtown a couple blocks from the PDX station. They're happy to shuttle you over to the station after you return your car.

The caveat there is that you have to return the car when the office is open.

The MAX Red Line runs from the airport, and if you transfer to a Green line train at some point during the trip to downtown, it will go within a block of Union Station. That would allow you to return at the airport, and then head downtown to catch your train.

We used Zipcar across the pedestrian bridge on the other side of the station. The price is a bit higher but it includes gas and the convenience to get in and go, no waiting in line and no paperwork, it is worth it to me.

I am flying in and training out, so I figure I will come in from airport to get rental car in the city so I can return it by the station and avoid all the airport surcharges. Sound like my best plan?
Have you confirmed that it's actually cheaper to rent in the city? I've found that I can often save money by picking up (and dropping off) at the airport where lower base rates counteract the additional surcharges. When in doubt shop around.

Check both options. I don't doubt what DA is saying, but when I checked rates for our Canadian trip in September I found the prices renting from downtown locations were less than half the cost of picking up from the airport. Your Mileage May Vary, of course.

I'm sure this has been addressed before, so sorry in advance, but it seems like the site search is disabled, so I can't locate it. Wondering what my best option is for renting a car to return before boarding at PDX train station. I am flying in and training out, so I figure I will come in from airport to get rental car in the city so I can return it by the station and avoid all the airport surcharges. Sound like my best plan?
That's not always the case, especially for common car types. I've been looking for a car before, and often the best rates were at the airport, and so low that it more than made up for any airport fees. It does depend on the airport though since many have different fees.

There's light rail from the airport to downtown.

I've rented a car at PDX, and the location is right near the terminal. As long as you're not renting off-site, it's really quick and convenient.

Check both options. I don't doubt what DA is saying, but when I checked rates for our Canadian trip in September I found the prices renting from downtown locations were less than half the cost of picking up from the airport. Your Mileage May Vary, of course.
It really depends on the timing. I've found times where there was so much inventory available at an airport that the base rate was as low as $8 a day. However, airports may have crazy demand some days where the base rate can be $80 a day for the same class.

I did a sample - 4 days in Portland starting July 11 at noon and got higher prices at the airport. Of course you need to be careful, because when I picked Portland, I got some as far away as Salem though Priceline. You'll probably want to specify your exact location, and that can make it harder to price shop.

It really depends on the timing. I've found times where there was so much inventory available at an airport that the base rate was as low as $8 a day. However, airports may have crazy demand some days where the base rate can be $80 a day for the same class.
That's been my experience as well. The only way to actually know if you're really saving money is to shop around. Maximize your leverage as a customer by being open to a range of dates, times, locations, and service levels. The more specific you get with your needs the less leverage you have to find them at a good value. I've read a lot of advice articles with overly specific rules that on further inspection turned out to be irrelevant or counterproductive for many of the trips I've taken.

Thanks for all the great info, everyone! I'll check out my options both at the airport and by PDX station. One factor is if I get car at airport, can I return downtown. And what is Enterprise option at airport?

Thanks for all the great info, everyone! I'll check out my options both at the airport and by PDX station. One factor is if I get car at airport, can I return downtown. And what is Enterprise option at airport?
You probably can, but then you'll need to factor in how the drop-off fee works. Sometimes it's a flat fee, and at other times it's rolled into the base rate. On top of that, you'll probably be paying the various airport fees. If you can get a better rate, then getting to downtown Portland is pretty easy.

I checked Enterprise at Portland City Center and got a base rate for a compact at $60/day for everything from economy to full size sedan, and taxes were only about $45 for 4 days - for a total around $285. For the airport the base rates were a bit higher and the taxes about double, although the prices varied by class (economy was actually more than compact). There was actually one class that was the same base rate, but taxes were about $50 more.

I tried pick-up at PDX and drop off at Portland City Center, and got the same rates. I guess they might not have a drop off fee if the location is close enough.

I found a great deal in the city ($29 + a few dollars in taxes) a short walk from one of the tram stations.

Service Rent A Car

12436 SE Stark St, Portland, OR

At the time (last August), the only cars from the majors were in the order of $80/day even with AAA or USAA discounts.

They will pick you up at the airport for $25, I believe but you can get there by tram. We arrived too late for pickup and took a tram to a Choice Hotel. A two-stop tram ride from the hotel and a couple of blocks walk to the place.

They mostly rent vans but the car was in excellent shape, the price was great and so was the service.

The other local places in town had terrible reviews.

For what it's worth, I rented through Hertz last week. Picked up the car on a Sunday (they're open until 2) with a 10 AM arrival of the Builder). Had it until Saturday at 1PM (they close at 2 as well). Cost me about $310 including the "we fill the gas" option.

This was on the Pine St. location.

I chose this because of the points bonus.

Service Rent a Car is about 7 miles from Portland Union Station:

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.46.55 PM.png

If you can do public transportation, it's nice. Otherwise, quite a hike.

Hertz and Enterprise are about half a mile, on Pine St.

Back