Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Richard Anderson replacing Wick Moorman as Amtrak CEO

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#21 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Well, so this probably mean, many many more seats in coach. Devaluation of AGR points ala SkyPeso's. Forget new equipment, if what he did with the DC9's and MD90's are any indication, then he will buy up used railcars from around the world and refurbish with higher density seating. But good news for premium passengers since he increased food quality and choice for FC. Oh and may just buy a oil refinery so Amtrak can make their own diesel ala the Trainer Refinery for Jet A.

#22 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

To note, he was the Northwest CEO beforehand as well, which was a fine airline. The two things I think he will bring to the table are: improved rolling stock maintenance practices, and a more consistent business/first class product.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#23 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,941 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

He was also Exec VP at United Healthcare between 2004 and 2007 between his CEO job at Northwest and Delta.

He started in the airline industry in 1987 at Continental and then moved to Northwest in 1990.

#24 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

When Boardman came aboard it was good news.  When Boardman announced he was stepping down it was good news.  When Moorman came aboard it was good news. Anderson replacing Moorman is good news.  Anthony leaving was good news.  Anthony coming back in the future would also be good news.  With all this endless good news Amtrak must be in excellent shape by now.

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

It's all relative. It is better news than possible worse news, and Amtrak is in better shape than possible worse shapes it could have been in :P

Along the same lines it is worse news than possible better news that could have been and Amtrak is in worse shape than far better shape that it could have been in ;)

Edited by jis, 26 June 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#26 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

Delta invested heavily in IT and passenger facility modernization. Delta tech ops (maintenance) has a decent reputation. They keep a very diverse fleet (including some pretty old suff)  mix in decent shape.

#27 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

I have dealt with Delta (pun intended) and I have had universally rotten customer service. Bar none, the worst I have ever had in public transportation and perhaps anywhere else. That said, I hope Mr. Anderson can make a big difference with Amtrak and help Amtrak roll forward instead of the back and forth rut it seems to be in nowadays.
Amtrak Miles Traveled: 86162--City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled:8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#28 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

To note, he was the Northwest CEO beforehand as well, which was a fine airline. The two things I think he will bring to the table are: improved rolling stock maintenance practices, and a more consistent business/first class product.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yes, that would be my expectation as well.  Northwest was a good airline.

#29 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

I have dealt with Delta (pun intended) and I have had universally rotten customer service. Bar none, the worst I have ever had in public transportation and perhaps anywhere else. That said, I hope Mr. Anderson can make a big difference with Amtrak and help Amtrak roll forward instead of the back and forth rut it seems to be in nowadays.

JayPea,

As I previously posted, my customer service experience surely has been different from yours.  From airport staff, aircraft crew, and PR people, I have been a pleased Delta customer and will fly with them this week once again.

#30 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

I can't say I'm fond of an airline exec trying to run a railroad. Suffice to say, I am NOT optimistic.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#31 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

Well, so this probably mean, many many more seats in coach. Devaluation of AGR points ala SkyPeso's. Forget new equipment, if what he did with the DC9's and MD90's are any indication, then he will buy up used railcars from around the world and refurbish with higher density seating. But good news for premium passengers since he increased food quality and choice for FC. Oh and may just buy a oil refinery so Amtrak can make their own diesel ala the Trainer Refinery for Jet A.

I really don't think we can draw any parallels between aircraft acquisition at Delta and rolling stock needs at Amtrak.  That's a bit like expecting him to purchase turbine powered locomotives rather than diesels, or replace dining car staff with additional coach attendants.  

Style and approach of management, customer service standards, and ability to work with the freight railroads and varied federal and state government agencies - among other factors - are far more pertinent.  

It's all relative. It is better news than possible worse news, and Amtrak is in better shape than possible worse shapes it could have been in :P

Along the same lines it is worse news than possible better news that could have been and Amtrak is in worse shape than far better shape that it could have been in ;)

Are you running for political office and afraid to commit to a position?   :)

#32 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

Are you running for political office and afraid to commit to a position?   :)

It is what it is. It really is not the best news. I could think of a couple of better choices, but probably not available, and it is far from the worst news. It is somewhere in the middle. ^_^

#33 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

Does this mean complimentary Squirrel Brand Peanuts and Biscoff Cookies in the Coaches.....

#34 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

He is definitely experienced in talking to Congress, dealing with Labor Unions, having a limited amount of money when Delta was in trouble to make major improvements, understanding the importance of customer satisfaction to bringing a company to profitability, and that spending money is necessary to make money.

#35 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

https://www.bloomber...senger-railroad

Salary details are here, 3 years at zero pay with a possible 500k bonus each year from the amtrak board. So he definitely took the job because he wanted it, not because it was going to pay well. The other nice thing is the 3 year term means he won't be a super short term CEO. Lets see how the grind wears him down.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#36 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

I don't understand this move. Do you call a plumber when you need an expert electrician?  Airlines and train travel have little in common except that both are transportation.  I say this airlines guy invites in the TSA and drives us all away.  I refuse to be degraded and lowered to the level of an animal just to board any transportation means. TSA comes in full force and we will bail.

#37 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

I don't understand this move. Do you call a plumber when you need an expert electrician?  Airlines and train travel have little in common except that both are transportation.  I say this airlines guy invites in the TSA and drives us all away.  I refuse to be degraded and lowered to the level of an animal just to board any transportation means. TSA comes in full force and we will bail.

Yet another of your "no longer take Amtrak" posts and yet, I bet you'll be taking more trips on Amtrak.  

#38 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

I find it funny how many folks on here:

1) Seem to think that because someone worked for the airlines, that they would have no concept of the differences between air travel and rail travel, and therefore would try to run Amtrak the same as an airline

2) Believe that the CEO is personally involved in a lot of the decisions related to equipment configuration, frequent traveler program benefits, pricing and fees, etc.

#39 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

All the more room for the rest of us. There is not one shred of evidence that Anderson will have anything to do with the TSA. I would be insulted about being compared to an animal because I fly but coming from you I am used to it and I know you don't care one bit about how insulting you come off sounding.

Edited by JayPea, 26 June 2017 - 08:49 PM.

Amtrak Miles Traveled: 86162--City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled:8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#40 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

All the more room for the rest of us. There is not one shred of evidence that Anderson will have anything to do with the TSA. I would be insulted about being compared to an animal because I fly but coming from you I am used to it and I know you don't care one bit about how insulting you come off sounding.
Same here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users