Superliner Bedroom A vs E

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

I booked an Amtrak trip to NYC and on the Capitol One portion, I got Bedroom A. But when I tell people about it, they tell me A is the worst and to get B-E.

But I've read about the rattling of the partitions between these rooms, the actions from your neighbor being heard and other factors.

Should I change my room? what is your opinion?    

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,343 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

If you are going to NYP, it isn't by Superliner. In a Viewliner, you get only A or B.

I wouldn't worry about the partition, if it makes noise (never happened to me, but I'm sure it does), it's straightforward to deal with.

In general, I think the differences between the rooms is overblown. They're all fairly equal.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

I'm guessing the "Capitol One portion" refers to the Capitol Limited, changing trains in WAS.

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

If you are on the Capitol Ltd. to Washington, DC, changing to a regional to NYP, and are traveling by yourself, Bedroom A, though a bit smaller is fine.  If there are two of you, you may want to consider B-E.  Just make sure they modify your reservation, if not then they will try to charge you extra.  If the agent insists on charging you more. Then thank for their help, hang up, and call back so you get a different agent.

If you are on a sleeper into NYP then you are on a VL Sleeper (Single Level) which are the only ones that have the clearance for the tunnels into NYP.  The VL Sleeper only has two Bedrooms (A&B) which are similar to B-E on the Bi-Level Superliners.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,343 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

I'm guessing the "Capitol One portion" refers to the Capitol Limited, changing trains in WAS.

Bravo, sir. Clever bit of deduction there, I'll bet you're right.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#6 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

Capitol One Venture Cards with Double Miles, anyone?

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#7 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,872 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:14 AM

Only if it's double train time!:)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#8 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Yes, the partition between rooms may rattle but so may the sliding door to the corridor or other things.

I wouldn't worry about noise from you neighbors...yea, may be some but maybe not. And if you were in A, you still might hear some even though there is no sliding partition.

Room A is slightly smaller but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

I like Room E because it is close to the coffee pot :P

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#9 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

Always stay in bed rooms B-E. We find them to all be the same. Prefer E as its the easiest to find with my glasses off. A only has about 1-2 Sq ft less space but we try to avoid it as the bathroom door doesn't open as wide.

Edited by dlagrua, 30 June 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#10 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

I found the entry to the privy to be a bit snug in Bedroom A. Also, the space next to the seat (across from the couch) is limited. I did it CHI to PDX last year. This year, I was in E, which I preferred.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users