2nd Trip - Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleB

Train Attendant
On Wednesday we leave for our second Amtrak trip. We leave from St Cloud, MN and head to Whitefish, MT. We are in a bedroom for both legs of the trip. We have never been on a train for this long and have a few questions. Can I use a hair dryer in our room? During some of the longer stops can we get off the train? If so, do most people just stretch their legs right by the train? If we get off the train will we need to bring our tickets to get back on? Would love any other suggestions people might have.

First, no hair dryers or anything else that has a high electrical draw. You will pop the breakers for the sleeping and some SCA's don't know how to reset them which leaves all the outlets out of service until a maintenance stop.

Second, There will be service stops when the train will be in the station for more than a couple minutes. Do note that the train will NOT leave before the posted departure time, but if the train is running late it can depart as soon as work is completed. This why people walk the length of the train so they can board as soon as the Conductor signals departure. You do not need your tickets, but I have e-tickets on the AMTRAK APP, so by having my cell with me I always have my tickets.

Bring a multi plug strip so you can plug more than one charge in a time (laptop, cell phone(s), iPAD, Kindle, etc.).

Meals are included, but if you plan on tipping, plan a head with some cash.

Your larger bags can be placed on the entry luggage rack across from the stairs. Plan to just take what you need in a backpack or similar bag.

Your SCA will make down your bed at night just make sure to tell the SCA what time you desire.

On Wednesday we leave for our second Amtrak trip. We leave from St Cloud, MN and head to Whitefish, MT. We are in a bedroom for both legs of the trip. We have never been on a train for this long and have a few questions. Can I use a hair dryer in our room? During some of the longer stops can we get off the train? If so, do most people just stretch their legs right by the train? If we get off the train will we need to bring our tickets to get back on? Would love any other suggestions people might have.
My wife uses a hear dryer in the electrical outlet in one of the lower level bathrooms. She has never blown a circuit down there. I agree it's not a good idea to use it in your bedroom.

There are several places where you can get off the train to stretch your legs. But I do not recommend getting too far from the train. People have been left behind. The train will never leave a station before its scheduled time but if it is running late, even by a little, the train may not remain at the station as long as you might think.

Your sleeping car attendant will know who is in his/her car and you do not need a ticket to reboard.

Hair dryer is too broad a category. I have a full size one at home, it has circuit popping potential on a train.I also have a little baby one (400 w Conair Designline) It isn't likely to overload a circuit, but will take a good deal longer to dry your hair.

Hair dryer is too broad a category.
Agreed. If you have a small, low-power (less than 5 amps) dryer or if you run your larger dryer only on its lowest heat setting, you should be OK. Otherwise...let's say that nobody will be charging their cell phone!

I am seeing some conflicting statements about hairdryers online. I really need to dry my hair after a shower or it gives me issues. Has anyone had luck with a hairdryer? Can't find anywhere on Amtrak site that you can't bring it. Since I need it where we are going I will have it with me. May just ask the room attendant what they think. I definitely don't want to be the reason others lose power.

I know the breakers for the room outlets do not allow anything with much amp draw. Maybe the bathrooms have a bigger breaker, I think they are on a separate circuit, so if you blew that, the rooms would still have power.

Mrs. EmCee has used a 1250 watt hairdryer in Superliner Bedrooms on the Cap, the Zephyr, and the Chief at least ten times with no problems at all.

How did people exist before there were Cellphones,Computers and Hairdryers?

They enjoyed the view with messy hair.

I must be missing something here. The conversation seems to be centered around hair dryers, but the trip is only one overnight - and not even a complete night at that. Why would you bother with a hair dryer? Wouldn't showering at your departure and/or arrival locations be more convenient?

Back